Firespray inquiry . . .

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Vanilla space combat is indeed boring. If you actually have a "master" pilot and a souped up hot-rod ship it's better.

#42 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

My group uses the Firespray and we just finished the adventure in the rulebook.

Everyone was really bored by ship combat. With the default Close range weapons on both the Firespray and the two ships guarding Bandin Dobah's asteroid, the fight quickly devolved into all ships in range of one another, the pilot Gaining The Advantage and the gunner shooting for about an hour (we're new so there was some rulebook consultation), with the rest of the crew ineffectually calling targets or hacking the enemy ('filler actions', they said) until the bad guys blew up. Nobody liked it.

Is this just a product of the encounter design? Should I have been doing something to spice things up? The whole encounter soured them on space combat and I'm hesitant to even go there in the future.

Vanilla space combat is indeed boring. If you actually have a "master" pilot and a souped up hot-rod ship it's better.

I think the biggest problems that can arise from space combat would be the lack of narration involved, just like regular combat. Sans narration, it's just roll the dice until you hit well enough to defeat your opponents.

I tend to use incentives for my players; better descriptions and good ideas net them boost dice or other bonuses. For example, the gunner was describing how he'd line up the shot and catch a Z-TIE while it was at a certain arc of it's strafing run, so I gave him a boost die for the narrative idea. The mechanic's description of tearing out a panel and routing the power to her Jawa-engineered ion gun netted a bonus to her damage.

That's worked for us so far.

Additionally, until you get used to it, you feel like the only actions you can take are really firing. Once you realize that some of the basic personal-scale maneuvers (like aiming) are valid, it changes the dynamic a bit. Then there's also just general creativity and tweaking the rules to match (like cutting the hyperdrive to increase shields, for example).

Just my two cents there.

• Crimson_red, whafrog, Crimson Death and 1 other like this

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard: Starfighter Chapter (now as a pdf!)

#43 Endrek03

Endrek03

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Edge of the Empire, more so than any other RPG I've ever played, can be an incredibly boring game if you play a table-top RPG to roll high numbers. Where it shines is in the creative aspect of it. If you play to role-play and make the absolute maximum out of every roll and scene, EotE shines brightest. ;)

Luckily, I play with a group who loves hamming everything up, so this system is the best we've ever played.

• HappyDaze, progressions, Crimson Death and 2 others like this

#44 CStevenRoss

CStevenRoss

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

During my run of GMing an Edge of the Empire campaign, I found it much more satisfying to think of space combat as an obstacle, punishment, or deterrent than as a goal in and of itself. The Crew didn't want to get involved in combat in their starship because:

1). It's dangerous - it's very easy to get overwhelmed by enemy ships and result in a Total Party Kill
2). it's crazy expensive - every point of hull trauma and very critical costs money that they don't have to spare
3). It's pointless - what good does blowing up a few TIE Fighters or a Bounty Hunter do?

What was the real challenge was avoiding the overwhelming threats entirely (think Han vs. star destroyers), and fending off TIE's long enough to escape. Create dangerous scenarios that force the players to use all their resources; the pilot and copilot are focused on navigating incredibly dangerous space hazards, the navigator is desperately trying to make an extremely difficult jump to light speed, the engineer is scrambling to boost/angle deflectorsd and heal up system strain, missiles are flying in so someone's gotta spoof them, and the FINALLY, if you've got enough people, I guess someone can make a filler action to attack the enemy with the ship's weapons.

Lastly, don't be afraid of a scene, especially combat-oriented, only lasting one or two rounds. Get it done, tell your plot point or interesting twist, and then move on. Avoid the trap of feeling like once guns are fired it needs to be a battle to the death.

#45 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

Rather than a deterrent, it should be a "just once in a while" type of deal. Don't use it too excessively, but so long as you (or your GM) can come up with some decent narration, it's all right to have it occasionally.

#46 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

I wish we did more space combat. It was my favorite parts in the movies.
  • Crimson_red likes this

#47 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Once Age of Rebellion is out, I myself am hoping to include more of it. Maybe even run a Rogue Squadron-type campaign.

• Crimson Death likes this

#48 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Once Age of Rebellion is out, I myself am hoping to include more of it. Maybe even run a Rogue Squadron-type campaign.

We're slowly getting involved with the Rebellion and space combat. I can't wait to do more of it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS