Which ancient one is the toughest?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Fumo23

Fumo23

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

I have only played five games and I started to wonder which of the four ancient ones you consider to be the hardest to beat?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Shub's the one giving me the greatest headaches.. but I gave her a couple of good hedaches too :devil:

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Shub > Cthullu > Azathoth > Yog-Sothoth. That's my order of difficult.

#4 mccrispy

mccrispy

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

For me it's Cthulhu>Yog-Sothoth>Shub-Niggurath>Azathoth. Azathoth is fine unless you get the wrong Mystery. Shub-Niggurath just requires that you tool up for big game. For Yog-Sothoth I find the penalty for failing to close a Gate is draconian and that - as I don't favour spell casters in my games - the requirement to use spells for Mysteries is harsh. Cthulhu is... well, Cthulhu.

#5 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

Cthulu isn't that bad unless it awakens.  Then you are pretty much done.  :lol:

I'd say Yog-Sothoth is the hardest so far because Yog forces you to change the way you play the game in order to have a chance to win.  And then there is the chance of the Dunwich Horror showing up, and that isn't a fun encounter. 

I do think Azathoth is the easiest because it is more passive than the others.  There is that one research card that makes you lose a mystery and I suppose if the omen track gets enough eldritch tokens it can be in an issue, but for the most part, Azathoth does not go for the throat like the other 3 can. 

#6 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Shub's the one giving me the greatest headaches.. but I gave her a couple of good hedaches too :devil:

What exactly did she bothered you with? I find it pretty easy to set up a good team against her. Cthulhu gives me far more trouble.

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Mmh, maybe I just got some bad luck with Mythos / Mysteries. Dunno. 3 games so far, 3 times I've been bashed

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#8 Nainphy

Nainphy

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

As i'm noting here, it depends on your favorite characters. My favorite character is Diana Stanley. Cthullu (the epic monster) with her is easy because she'll only lose 1 of sanity if she fails her mind roll. But playing with a character with low sanity (she has only 5 of sanity) DURING ALL GAME LONG with Cthullu as the AO is hard, very hard. Yog-Sothoth is very very easy with her. She begins near Buenos Aires and Arkham, the two places where you get spells easily. If i stay 2 rounds in one of those places, i earn 2 to 3 spells easily. We always pick our investigators here before choosing the AO (step 3 of setup phase: choose the investigators, step 5: choose the AO).

I think now you understand my AO difficult order as i understand yours. By the way, I like Trish too. Her abilty to earn clues is awesome (and her passive is very useful, you can spend her clues to reroll TWO DICE without being afraid of needing that clue a lot in the future) . If she gets the silver key artifact she can close all mysteries related to clues all by herself and quickly. ^^

Edited by Nainphy, 12 February 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#9 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

Mmh, maybe I just got some bad luck with Mythos / Mysteries. Dunno. 3 games so far, 3 times I've been bashed

Leo Anderson and Jim Culver proved to be terrific picks against her.

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

That's very true. Let's say I play mostly by random selection and see how the different investigators work in different environments.

• The Professor and Glaurung like this

#11 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

That's very true. Let's say I play mostly by random selection and see how the different investigators work in different environments.

Thats how my games usually go.  Everyone gets two random investogators and chooses which one they want. 

#12 Husker949

Husker949

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

My group plays the same as C2K does, we roll a d12 to see which 2 investigators we get and then choose one of them. Then roll a d4 for the AO. Going to have to get a new system when they add more heroes and AO's but it all works.

#13 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

So, you're more into thematic experience rather than strategic?

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

It's a long story my friend. Generally speaking, I pick up strategy over theme

#15 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

I try this way and we love it…….. 2 game 2 wins….. Again Chulkhu and Shubby… 

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#16 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

It is thematic, but there is also strategy involved.  We are not heavy with pre-planning, but rather adapting strategy on the fly with the resources we have handed to us.  It also gives the game an honest shot to crush us, because if we were to pre-plan all of our games, I'm sure our win % would much higher. 

#17 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

It is thematic, but there is also strategy involved.  We are not heavy with pre-planning, but rather adapting strategy on the fly with the resources we have handed to us.  It also gives the game an honest shot to crush us, because if we were to pre-plan all of our games, I'm sure our win % would much higher. 

Well, I'm not giving this game any chances, not after what happened.

#18 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

To me part of the "Lovecraft Theme" is ordinary people up against the extra ordinary.  So picking investigators from a limited pool and then getting a random AO is perfect.  There's still strategy, since it pays off to pick a team that is good at everything. Then once the game begins, it becomes a matter of figuring out how to best use who you have.  There doesn't seem to be any investigator who's particularly useless.

To respond to the original question - for me it's a toss up between Shub-Niggaruth and Yog-Sothoth.  Shub can easily get out of control if you don't manage monsters; Yog can prove difficult if you encounter some bad luck closing gates due to his reckoning.

#19 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

Even if you pick investigators against specific AO - it's still ordinary people against extra ordinary =O

#20 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

To the extent influential politicians, world famous actresses, psychics, secret agents, shamans, and martial arts masters are all ordinary people of course. :)

• The Professor, Julia and Angelic Despot like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS