22 replies to this topic

#1 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

So, zooming in on Wingman, it appears so say something along the lines of:

At the start [of the] combat phase, [receive] 1 stress token _____ friendly ship as ___.  

Before I read the 'stress' on the card, I was thinking it was something along the lines of "at the start of combat phase, you may trade a token with a friendly ship."  Which would be awesome!  Just think, put that on a GSP and you can take evade, while Biggs takes a TL.  Then you switch the evade for the TL, and you shoot your missile, while he gets an evade token.  If you did this with someone who had an EPT, he could get 2 evade tokens.  Not bad =P.  But alas, I crossed my eyes enough to see that it said 1 stress token, so that means that it likely gives you a stress. 

What are some thoughts as to what it might actually do?

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#2 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

We already have a make friendly the same PS. We already have give friendly 1 free action. I'm trying to find a way to make that card text work with something that allows you to add attack dice to the ship next to you. So something that gives a friendly ship an extra die or two (like Jan ors but requiring range 1 or something)

Edit: "Receive 1 stress token to add 1 to the primary weapon value of a friendly ship at Range 1."

Edited by jedi moose, 10 February 2014 - 11:42 AM.

• The_Brown_Bomber likes this

#3 Jobu

Jobu

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

I suspect its either +1 attack or +1 defense.  I suspect the as is as long as the ship is in range X (on your wing).

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

#4 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

We already have a make friendly the same PS. We already have give friendly 1 free action. I'm trying to find a way to make that card text work with something that allows you to add attack dice to the ship next to you. So something that gives a friendly ship an extra die or two (like Jan ors but requiring range 1 or something)

Edit: "Receive 1 stress token to add 1 to the primary weapon value of a friendly ship at Range 1."

So it basically steals Jans Ors Ability.  I guess the HWK-290 just got a little less cool. 

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#5 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

So it basically steals Jans Ors Ability.  I guess the HWK-290 just got a little less cool. 

But you could stack it!

• voidstate, Viceroy Bolda and Audio Weasel like this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#6 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

But you could stack it!

:o Okay, you have my attention.

• Engine25 likes this
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#7 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

Jan's ability also has a longer range and can boost secondary weapons.

• Engine25 likes this

#8 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

I would have thought adding an extra def die would be more in keeping with it being a wingman. Wingman protects leader!

• Khyros likes this

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 2 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#9 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

We developed a

But you could stack it!

We play tested this and it is powerful yet risky.  You can throw all of your dice at once and one shot an enemy or completely miss on a bad roll, esentially not inflicting any damage that turn.

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#10 DarthDave

DarthDave

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Sounds like what Fel's Wrath's inherit ability should have been.

#11 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

I would have thought adding an extra def die would be more in keeping with it being a wingman. Wingman protects leader!

This sounds more reasonable.  It would play into context with what a Wingman does, and it wouldn't continue the power creep that one could argue is happening.  Wave 1 there was 1 3 attack ship, the other 3 were all 2 attack.  Wave 2 added 3 more 3 attack ships, making it the new "standard" with 2 attack becoming slightly "gimped" - and it introduced the HLC (one 1 ship), Wave 3 introduced 2 more 3 attack, both of which could take the HLC - and it introduced Jan, adding a die to anyone, and APT, the first 5 attack weapon, wave 4 introduces the first 4 attack ship, and from what we can tell from the upgrades, several offensive based upgrades - predator, R7-T1, Abaht...

So to introduce a defensive upgrade along with all of that would make more sense than another offensive upgrade.  Herm... Wedge w/ SL + R2D2, Luke w/ Wingman + R7T1, Biggs w/ R2F2 + Stealth... Gives Biggs 5 base dice, and a focus.  Though Wedge and Biggs don't have offensive actions (at least until Biggs dies).  You could put SL on Luke so Wedge gets an action, but I figure that Wingman on Luke would help keep Wedge alive after Biggs is dead.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#12 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

I didn't know it could get less cool.

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 VT-49

#13 Shanturin

Shanturin

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

I didn't know it could get less cool.

Wait, what? HWK-290 is an awesome ship, Jan especially - combine her with Garven and PTL/HLC Ibtisam and you'll see what I'm talking about ;)

However, back to the Wingman - I also think that +1 Defense for Stress would be grat trade :) Guess that would be extremely popular on Black Squadron Pilots and a possible new role to the Green Squadron Pilots, and I'd like to see more of my beloved A-wings :)

Edited by Shanturin, 11 February 2014 - 10:42 AM.

• Rakky Wistol likes this

May my blade be sharp. May I sculpt a new fate for my enemies.

#14 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

If Wingman adds a def die, and you can stack this, then Biggs got a lot tougher.

• Khyros likes this

#15 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

If Wingman adds a def die, and you can stack this, then Biggs got a lot tougher.

Herm, this is a good point.  Potentially the defender gets a stress to keep it from having 3 GSP wingmen stack on Biggs... That would be broken.  Biggs w/ R2D2 protecting 3 GSPs w/ Wingman.  Biggs rolling 5 dice every turn and regenerating a shield in case a hit gets through... meanwhile you can't target the GSPs to reduce Bigg's defense (and even if you could, they could just use their wingman on each other to give them 5 dice as well).  There has to be something regarding stress... either a wingman himself will get a stress for it, or the defender will get a stress.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#16 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

That is really going to suck.

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#17 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Surely wingman gets the stress.

• CrookedWookie likes this

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 8 X-Wing, 9 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 8 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette, 8 Z-95, 4 E-Wing, 2 YT-2400

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 5 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda-Class Shuttle, 4 Tie Defender, 4 Tie Phantom, 2 VT-49 Decimator

Scum & Villany: 4 Most Wanted, 4 StarViper, 6 M3-A Interceptor, 2 IG-2000 (Pre-order)

#18 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'm going to guess it's not this awesome or stackable.  This would be obvious power creep and FFG has been really good about that not happening.  I'm also guessing that if it did do this it would cost a lot.

• Shanturin likes this

#19 AngryAngel

AngryAngel

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Whatever it does as plus to defense or offense, I don't see it stacking. At most I'd imagine it'll be one wingman per other ship. If for nothing else then the feel of a wingman, which is just one other support ship. Probably why its on the Z 95 which is I believe the wave 4 ship its in, so they grant extra buffs to a nearby ship perhaps drawing fire to them, which I imagine is their point being a chaff unit to swarm and protect other, more potent craft.

Which could be a nice upgrade for black squad pilots as well anything useful but good for covering other more important targets. Though as I said, I doubt it you can effect a ship more then once with a wingman boost, same as their is only one squad leader just wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Edited by AngryAngel, 11 February 2014 - 01:44 PM.

• oneway likes this

#20 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Do you think the upgrade goes on the "leader" ship or does the upgrade go on the "wingman" ship?  One ways gives the lead a wingman, the other just marks the peon as a wingman.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS