New Rogue trader campain

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

I am starting a rogue trader campaign, it will take place over the internet we will play on a simple map and with words. It is a "role playing game" with a setting in the Warhammer 40000 universe. I own all the rules and more. These rules are transferable (from my computer to yours). We will record the play sessions on audio so that I can turn it into a graphic video.

In the story you play as your character surfing the void beside my character [MarcheStradust] under the command of a  Rogue Trader named [ValerienneSolar]  from Terra

(Earth that has become a temple-like mechanical city)

Pick your angles, build your morals, test your skills against the wonders of the universe. I can get you
started or help you take your Warhammer 40K experience even further.

I will also set a few house rules, like the spaceship combat in the Warp will be different... 

While other GM's might  play the vessels in the Warp, I  speculate the ship fuses with the souls of all its passengers changing the overall mixture into a giant mechanical machination in the Warp. Every character has one turn to act  and one dodge thrust action each as the shifting machination, but they all share one lifespan and one movement.

I also made rules for the Webway; the rules are one can teleport anywhere automatically (scatters without a "bridge" or directly teleport when connected by a "bridge"). Anyone with a corruption value has to roll for a corruption test, if failed they add 1d5 of corruption points and have to withstand a mutation roll or leave the Webway before the effects take place.

Multi-classing will be acceptable, however to apply for a different career one has to pay 5000xp. Every character can only have a maximum of 3 careers at once.  One can lose any of their careers without repercussion. When it comes to reapplying for a past career you roll 1d10 and on a 1 to 3 you get the career and no problems arise, on a 4 to 6 you forgot your most expensive skill in that career but you still get it, and on a 7 to 10 you cannot get the class. An explorer must have at least one career or is deemed useless and tossed to be forgotten.

If you are interested, contact me and I will help you, first to get the files that you need, then we will get you started with your character creation. When you have finished your character and acquired your first "acquisition" then you are ready for the first mission. I am fairly new to the 40k role-playing scene and having a veteran GameMaster aboard would be very helpful.

Extra Info here: http://www.dakkadakk...ist/579184.page

My Construction Progress:http://www.dakkadakk...ist/579207.page

If you would be interested in being a character designer/voice actor for my Rogue Trader themed show, contact me anyway you can and we will discuss our form of communication.

Edited by Sneshy, 21 February 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#2 Cavgunner

Cavgunner

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

I wish you luck, however, right off the bat I've noticed a few changes to the core Rogue Trader that seem a bit odd.

For example:

The GM-PC (your character) is an Eldar-human hybrid, partially raised in both worlds and freely able to live either as a human or as an Eldar, as he chooses.

The GM-PC has held multiple careers including sniper, poet, artist, and musician. Then he mastered not one but two Eldar Warrior Aspects. After that, he decided to throttle things back a bit and just be a Guardsman for a while before becoming a Rogue Trader.

For some reason you've changed the rules for Warp travel into something that appears to be more at home in an Anime.

The Webway can be used by anyone, anywhere.

I could go on. To put it in the nicest way I can, I'm not sure why you felt that these design decisions were necessary.

My overall impression is this. While you seem to know the individual parts that make up the Warhammer 40k and Rogue Trader settings, I don't think you appreciate that arranging those parts in a different manner results in something else entirely. If that is what you were going for, great- but what you have described is neither Warhammer 40k nor Rogue Trader. Maybe it's the Brighthammer 40k thing I keep hearing about, but I don't see where you have stated this.

Also, GM-PCs=bad. Very bad. Your players are the heroes of the campaign. Not you. It's the price to be paid for being the GM. And the character you've created is so awesome, capable, and multi-talented that he would overshadow the players of any group.

Anyway that's my two cents. Again, good luck to you.

Edited by Cavgunner, 11 February 2014 - 12:43 PM.

• Nameless2all, Adeptus-B and Sebastian Yorke like this

#3 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Sneshy, 

I hate to be 'that guy' who posts with some form of negativity, but I read your thread on dakka dakka and it was the worst case of Mary Sueism I've seen in quite a while. A Half-breed Rogue Trader Space Marine INquisitor whose trained as a Sniper and more? Often with the tags, "With ease" affixed to it. Very, very poor understanding of the setting and a horrible desire to glorify your GM-PC. 

I'd recommend you'd look into running an anime campaign, maybe based off Outlaw Star instead. But definitely do drop the GM-PC. I can't imagine other people would want to play in your pipe dream. 

• Nameless2all, Cavgunner, Erathia and 1 other like this

#4 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

It sounds like you have a heavily homebrewed campaign in the works, which is fine. I side with Cogniczar in that it sounds like your Rogue Trader is the focus of your campaign. Could you elaborate where you see other people as fitting in your story? What role do you see them filling, where do they excel, and what can they do that would be essential to your story?

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#5 Cavgunner

Cavgunner

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Well, he states above that the other characters will be "surfing alongside" his character. It's clear that HIS character is the main dude.

Sneshy: While my initial response was a bit gentle, the more I read your material, the more I think you might benefit from some unfiltered critique. To be totally blunt:

1) No one is going to want to play in a campaign where you, the Gm, are clearly playing the all-powerful main character. It really seems that you are not looking for players, but rather that you are simply looking for sidekicks for YOUR character. For most people, this would be an immediate deal-breaker.

2) If this is going to be a play by web campaign, that might be a problem, because from what I have seen so far, you usage of the English language is not very precise. Your descriptions contain many spelling and grammar errors and are conceptually hard to follow. If you were a youngling I might give this a pass, but from reading your profile on Dakka Dakka you are clearly an adult. Players expect their GM to be polished and literate (or at least they should). In an online game anything less isn't going to fly.

3) The *way* you describe things seems to follow a disjointed stream-of-consciousness pattern, moving from thought to thought with little explanation or background context for the ideas themselves. The net result is a post (like the one here, or the ones you've put on Dakka Dakka) that seems, quite frankly, a bit weird when everything is put together. To put it another way, you provide no explanation as to *why* you are doing this or that, or why you have made the changes in your game.

To end on a positive note, I'll reiterate that you seem to have a good handle on the ingredients that go into the 40k universe. My suggestion would be to run a campaign that strictly adheres to those ingredients before branching off on your own. That's my two cents. Take it as you will.

Edited by Cavgunner, 12 February 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#6 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Just a heads up i don't really like anime's, im very fussy when it comes to anime.

The only ones I have watched so far are:
~Dragonball

~Escaflowne

~FLCL

~TTGL

Actually my character is NOT the main character. She would be [Valerienne Solar] of the segmentum solar She was a guardian of the golden throne until she ran of with my character to become a RogueTrader. they had known eachother since he was around 14.

As for the webway The repercussions of using an alien teleportation device is that it is not compatible for the human genus, So to make it possible I made these rules to allow a kind hearted soul to proceed through the webway, With corruption Stacking the oddities that can happen once you go through.

And for the warp travel it is the same rules as RogueTrader but whilst you ship is IN the warp all of your crew fuses with the ship into a being flying throught the tides of chaotic winds.

These are house rules that would make the game feel more integrated with the unspoken lore.

My character would be a commissar/prince starting his life in the Koronus expanse where he does not always hafto hide his ears under his cap. I would be the navigator.

And the main GM would be me but any player can be a mission GM by not tagging along on the mission but still sending us info through vox. With this you would still get mission xp but you would not be able to get XP bonuses like "boss kill"

Anywho thanks for the reviews and please inform me as to why there are soo meny missunderstandings? I would love to correct as much as possible.

Also I am acadian so that might be why my grammar and spelling is a bit "all over the place"

Edited by Sneshy, 12 February 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#7 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Actually my character is NOT the main character. She would be [Valerienne Solar] of the segmentum solar She was a guardian of the golden throne until she ran of with my character to become a RogueTrader. they had known eachother since he was around 14.

The Adeptus Custodes are the attendants of the Golden Throne of Terra. One does not simply become a Rogue Trader either. An Imperial given clearance to be considered worthy enough to stand vigil with the Adeptus Custodes would certainly not have a reason to run away either, because that is literally the hieght of achievement an Imperial Citizen can dream of (to be in the presence of god incarnate). 

If you are going to snag a group together, I'd echo Cavgunner. Run the game true to the setting and lore, and start with fresh face characters with no prior history or planned theatrics that break the universe and game immersion. Choose just one angle, and only one, as the hook for the principle character you'll control. Everything else should be put aside. 

#8 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Okay well let's say the two characters in question met at the young age of 14. Marche met the young (jobless) Valerienne and implanted ideas into her mind like:
~glory and honor can achieve more then Sly power hunger.
~space is versatile and wonderful

So with that in mind I could say that she then became a commander then a inquisitor and when she meets up with Marche that had now become a commissar she decides to take her business in the Koronus expanse with the help of Marche and whoever else joined the game.

Does that seem more lore friendly?

Edited by Sneshy, 12 February 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#9 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

So with that in mind I could say that she then became a commander then a inquisitor and when she meets up with Marche that had now become a commissar she decides to take her business in the Koronus expanse with the help of Marche and whoever else joined the game.

Does that seem more lore friendly?

Something much more simple of a beginning:

Marche Stradust comes from the Stradust Dynasty, an old family with the Trader's Writ. Valerienne has been in his service for several years, serving his family after she was picked up as a desserter of the Imperial Guard. 

The reason why:

What your coming up with is sort of all over the place. Commissars serve the Imperial Guard, Inquisitors have a sacred mission that transcends the Imperium and a single lifes calling. Giving these character arbitrarily derived titles for non-existent exploits is just a sign of desiring an awesome character without giving a thought of what makes a character awesome in the first place.

Is it impossible for a Commissar to transition from his role to serve the Inquisition? No, it's not. How that person would forsake their duties would be a great focus for a campaign. Sadly, the ages you wish to express don't mesh well. Valerienne, if she were to be a comissar who joined the Inquisition later on life, would still be a Progena in the Schola Progenium at 14. She would never have earned a Commissiarat nor would she have been given an opportunity for her actions to draw the attention of an Inquisitor who might be willing to pull her for his/her personal service. Nor is there enough time alloted for years, and years, and years of rising through the ranks of the Inquisition.

All in all, these little 'plot droplets' need to be abandoned since those things are what's damaging this idea to the point of no return. 

#10 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Personally I don't want to drown the Woman persona so that is why she is the RogueTrader and Marche became Commissar for a Star fleet making him a mobile division of the IG.

#11 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Personally I don't want to drown the Woman persona so that is why she is the RogueTrader and Marche became Commissar for a Star fleet making him a mobile division of the IG.

This. Seek out a campaign where Valerian is the writ holder of her dynasty, Marche is a Commissar for the sector Fleet (nitpick: Naval Fleets are not part of the Imperial Guard, and are their own entity). 

Now drop basically everything else, including the half-breed idea that is saturated with 1st-2nd edition Warhammer 40k tabletop. Then you'll probably be able to find players willing to work around this concept. 

Edited by Cogniczar, 12 February 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#12 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

I understand for a normal role playing game, but i am making a actual story that, me and my party will detail.
And as books,shows or movies go its always better to have a script.

#13 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

I'm not trying to ridicule you or rant about your ideas Sneshy. The bottom line is very clear though: If you are going to vastly change the setting, highlight two characters you've developed with lavish, disjointed backgrounds, you are not going to find it very easy to find anyone to join in on that process. 

Your a completely correct in that regard. For Books, shows and movies it's better to have a script. This campaign isn't any of those things, and still falls into the 'role playing' as far as your original post is concerned. Ditch the story, or ditch the idea someone else is going to join you, unless you start posting adverts in an anime centric fan fiction forum. 

• Adeptus-B likes this

#14 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

It sounds like this concept would be better served as FanFic rather than an RPG campaign; do you really think the 'script' you have in mind will survive if other players are allowed to make their own decisions and take their characters in directions you don't expect?

#15 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Yes if you read the contents of the link in the first post It will show you the general story. This story is extremely vague allowing for a new character to make his own decisions.

As for a Commissary Navis nobilitite it is entirely possible considering this:

http://warhammer40k....i/Imperial_Navy

#16 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

What exactly are you referring to when you link the Imperial Navy on the 40k wikia? 

#17 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

The fact that you have told me the Navis nobilitites and the IG are two different things, They are but the Wiki says that any Navis commander is at the command of an entire army force. So a Commissar at the command of a fleet is not improbable.

#18 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

~Derp~

Edited by Sneshy, 12 February 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#19 Sneshy

Sneshy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Sorry about that last part correcting on a track pad screws up badly aperantly...

#20 Cogniczar

Cogniczar

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

The Navis Nobilite are Navigators, sneshy

The Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard are two seperate entities ever since the Horus Heresy. They were explicitly split to prevent the monopolization of power in the Imperial Army. The Imperial Guard are moved from planet to planet via the Imperial Navy, but are not directly related due to conventions.

Naval Commissars are a known element. I never said anything to contridict that. What I do have to add in now is this: Commissars are not leaders - they are the men and women entrusted to watch the leaders. If they are part of a ship's command, they are not the one's making decisions: they just make sure the decisions are pure and in line with the edicts of the Imperium. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS