Serious Speculation on Release Dates

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Jokubas

Jokubas

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

When I saw the wave 4 announcement I totally could not believe it.  Really, I saw some wave 4 thread and was like “Oh well might as well see what the totally un-informed speculation is” and then got the wave 4 info.

Heh, me too. I had been checking the news regularly, hoping for an announcement but not really expecting it. Then came that flood of tournament posts and I decided to take a break from checking the news. So I went to the forums and saw a Wave 4 speculation thread. I thought, eh, I'll read some more, then realized that while it was posted that day, it was already several pages long. I thought that was weird, read the first post, and immediately ran over to the official announcement. ;P

As for a release date? The only one I've really paid attention to was Wave 3, so I can't really comment on FFG's trends. I don't see why this wouldn't make it out for quarter 2 though, unless some unforeseen situations arise, which would be, of course, unforeseen. The problem is, quarter 2 is still a fairly decent chunk of time, and I learned from Wave 3 that the vagueness can make release dates as apprehension-inducing as delays. ;P

I think something people are taking for granted is that, the Waves are still the main release content for this game. If I remember correctly, they even said that all Waves will be this four ship format, and if they ever did any other kind of product, like a pilot card pack, it would be separate like the large ships and the Aces are. The side releases are there to supplement the main Waves, the Waves aren't there to fill in gaps for the supplements (although obviously they can shift things around if they think there will be a huge gap in interest they're not fond of). In Magic the Gathering terms, the Waves are comparable to sets/blocks, the large ships are comparable to multiplayer variants like Archenemy, and the Aces are comparable to something like Duel Decks, which release old stuff in new ways (and sometimes have new stuff).

New releases on their own aren't enough to keep everyone happy. I for one had been anxious for the Wave 4 announcement, because while I think the upcoming releases are neat ideas, I've already passed up on Interceptors as it is, and I have no need for large ships and alternate rules (at least not now, if they managed to do a fitting Star Destroyer, I could make an exception). I just wanted new ships for the base game, and that's what the Wave system is for (at least for now ;P ).

Edited by Jokubas, 10 February 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#22 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think a Rebel Aces pack is most certainly in the books. There are a ton of pilots that are missing and all it would take are existing sculpts with a slight paint change and the cards. An easy release, compared to entirely new physical products.

#23 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Amazon cannot be trusted for pre-order dates.  If you rely on Amazon for these, you will be disappointed.  

I ordered Dance with Dragons from Amazon with a pre-release date 2 years before the book came out.

• Khyros likes this
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#24 AngryAngel

AngryAngel

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

I'll be the realist, if they are giving the info now, I'd have to believe they mean to be released in Q2 of this year. Could it be delayed due to unknown circumstances ? Sure it could, that's just life.

However, I think a lot of the delay from before had to be still playing catch up and growing pains. As there had been quite a struggle to knock out re print while also getting new product out. The reprints for wave 1 just recently got out and about. Which I think helped push back deadlines and gum up the works a bit as it got more and more popular.

At this point we have a good amount of product out, and have basically stabilized, though that may be area dependent. I know my neck of the woods we're rolling in all the waves except for we're light on Squints, which should be handled nicely with the reprints for them in the works as well as Aces coming out soon.

Once that gets out, I don't see any real hang ups for a smoother release, as by this time they need to have some idea of how large they truly need to make their release shipment. Most companies learn from release to release where the numbers need to be, we can only hope FFG is doing the same.

As well while the huge ships are huge, I don't think they'd be expecting to sell the amount of them as they sell like tie fighters or X wings or the like. So the runs of them were probably already in the works with the aces, and now perhaps alongside wave 4 release ships as they did say these other releases weren't taking time from the regular waves of release.

I can't say this is all hard facts, more just guessing off of logical practice and what makes the most sense. I honestly don't mind if they push it back to Q3, but Q2 would be nice and such a delay isn't un heard of. I'd say around May for Huge ship release and around end of Feb beginning of March for Aces.

#25 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Would be better if they didnt get our hopes up by putting release dates-  maybe something like released sometime this year- or even better just show them on the release dates.

c

#26 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

I was certainly surprised to see Wave Four being released so soon, I totally had it pegged for Q3.  Now, part of this may be a ramping up of operations, since FFG handed off their Dust Tactics line in June or July last year (I can't remember exactly), their miniature development team would have had additional resources.  Combine that with a year of development, and we now start to see the fruits of their labors.  I think we may see a continuation of this escalated releases as they now have the resources to make it happen.  They're focusing on a product that is selling well and can be a solid income revenue for the next few years.

Carpe Jugulum

The Fleet:

Spoiler

#27 Captain_Arrr

Captain_Arrr

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

I for one am glad FFG announced their new stuff available for Summer 2015.

#28 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

I thought about FFG doing another core set (2 z-95 and one TIE Defender).  What do you guys think?  Would you be interested?  I think I would be.        

I would be interested but mainly to get ships cheaper. However, I do not think that will happen. At least not with that combination of ships. Two Z-95 against one defender might not be balanced.

I'm not so sure, I'm pretty sure the Defender would stomp the two headhunters.  I have NEVER once seen the X-wing in the Core set lose,  using only the rules in the Core Set, even up to the 31 points that it recommends.  This would reverse it.  The Defender would destroy the headhunters with ease.

Not that that is really a problem, it just seems likely.

#29 cclaybern

cclaybern

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Here is what I think (Kind of a time line) based on knowledge one of my locals showed me with their distributor:

Imperial Aces - End of Feb/Begin of March (This is confirmed as I believe FFG said you can't use Aces at Store Champs)

Store Champs - Thru March

Transport - April (This was still showing on time from the distributor) (Also something new for us to play with after Store Champs)

Tantive IV - May 4th (This would be perfect time to launch this ship in particular)

Regionals - Thru May/ Early June (Sorry, I think I saw someone post this time frame, I could be completely wrong here)

Board Tiles - July (This was pushed back big time)

Wave 4 - July

GenCon - August with another announcement from FFG like last year showing off probably Imperial Ships

That would take us up into Q4 with Nationals and Worlds with maybe one final release for the holidays to pamper us over till 2015 :-)

Imperial - 2 x Shuttle, 2 x Firespray, 4 x Tie Bomber, 4 x Tie Interceptor, 1 x Tie Advanced, 5 x Tie Fighter

Rebel - 2 x Falcon, 4 x B-Wing, 2 x Hawk, 4 x Y-Wing, 2 x A-Wing, 4 x X-Wing

Pre-Ordered - 2 x Imperial Aces, 1 x Rebel Transport, 1 x Tantive IV

#30 elfholme

elfholme

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

I thought about FFG doing another core set (2 z-95 and one TIE Defender).  What do you guys think?  Would you be interested?  I think I would be.        

I would be interested but mainly to get ships cheaper. However, I do not think that will happen. At least not with that combination of ships. Two Z-95 against one defender might not be balanced.
I'm not so sure, I'm pretty sure the Defender would stomp the two headhunters.

I'm pretty sure that was his point .

I think the bigger issue is that a Defender and two Headhunters doesn't catch the eye and fire the imagination that an X-Wing and two Tie Fighters does. The latter is more iconic, with a much wider appeal. That is critical in a Starter, which is meant to bring in new players.

Edited by elfholme, 11 February 2014 - 07:31 PM.

• Engine25 likes this

#31 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

I don't feel like speculating on anything until I'm holding an Imperial Aces box in my freakin' hands.

Edited by That One Guy, 11 February 2014 - 09:58 PM.

• Darthfish likes this

#32 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Would be better if they didnt get our hopes up by putting release dates-  maybe something like released sometime this year- or even better just show them on the release dates.

You really think people would complain less if, instead of giving a best estimate ("sometime the first few months of 2014"), they just said "hey, look what's coming out!" and everybody went "sweet, when?" and they just shrugged and went "Whenever."  As was said above; delays happen, things can get pushed, but it's not like they promised everything would be out for the May 4th event, pinky swear, or something.  I think the quarterly estimates are the best compromise they can give between not making promises they can't keep and just not giving any release info at all.

• SheepDog likes this

#33 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Here is what I think (Kind of a time line) based on knowledge one of my locals showed me with their distributor:

Imperial Aces - End of Feb/Begin of March (This is confirmed as I believe FFG said you can't use Aces at Store Champs)

Store Champs - Thru March

Transport - April (This was still showing on time from the distributor) (Also something new for us to play with after Store Champs)

Tantive IV - May 4th (This would be perfect time to launch this ship in particular)

Regionals - Thru May/ Early June (Sorry, I think I saw someone post this time frame, I could be completely wrong here)

Board Tiles - July (This was pushed back big time)

Wave 4 - July

GenCon - August with another announcement from FFG like last year showing off probably Imperial Ships

That would take us up into Q4 with Nationals and Worlds with maybe one final release for the holidays to pamper us over till 2015 :-)

Umm more like 

Board Tiles - J̶u̶l̶y̶ When hell freezes over.    ;)

#34 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

I don't feel like speculating on anything until I'm holding an Imperial Aces box in my freakin' hands.

I would be shocked if Aces didn't drop on us pretty abruptly.  I got the distinct impression they were dragging their feet on announcing any more stuff until they were actually getting some of the announced stuff out the door.  There didn't seem to be any real pressing need for them to randomly go "oh hey - did we mention Wave 4 yet...?" on a Friday afternoon, so I would be surprised if they didn't have something (Imp Aces being the only logical choice) pretty much ready to go finally.

#35 Bren Derlin

Bren Derlin

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Amazon has pre-orders of aces and say that they will ship February 28th...

Amazon in the UK does not, and still has dates of 22 Feb for Transport and Tantive.

My LGS told me yesterday he "will have the big ships in in a few weeks" but didn't mention Imperial Aces.

Make of that what you will!

3 X Wings 1 A Wing 3 Y Wings 1 YT-1300 1 HWK-290

3 Tie Fighters 1 Tie Advanced 1 Firespray-31

#36 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Don't trust Amazon pre-orders.

#37 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

I would be shocked if Aces didn't drop on us pretty abruptly.  I got the distinct impression they were dragging their feet on announcing any more stuff until they were actually getting some of the announced stuff out the door.  There didn't seem to be any real pressing need for them to randomly go "oh hey - did we mention Wave 4 yet...?" on a Friday afternoon, so I would be surprised if they didn't have something (Imp Aces being the only logical choice) pretty much ready to go finally.

They dropped it randomly on a Friday evening to have a betting pool on how long it took us to notice, then point and laugh while the forums exploded....  a tactic that worked

Imp Aces is listed as "On The Boat"  so hopefully soon.  I pre-ordered 2.  Apparently you can't use them in store championships, at least the exclusive upgrades, but I doubt anyone would begrudge me using the 181st mini with Fel in it.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 

On Pre-order:1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 Z-95, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender, 4 E-Wing

#38 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

I am glad this is serious speculation and not wild speculation and wishful thinking, rolled up in a little pessimism. ;-) just messing with you. Please proceed with your serious speculation

#39 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

I haven't seen anywhere where FFG specifically said Imp Aces are not legal in store champs.

That said, until FFG releases a new tourney rules, imp aces is not listed in the "Legal Products" section.  And as such, they are illegal until otherwise said by FFG.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#40 bmmcwhirt

bmmcwhirt

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

With the large ships being pushed back I think you will likely see most things released at or near GenCon. This seems to be how things played out last year if I remember correctly. I wasn't into X-Wing at the time but I remember the horribly long line to get into the FF booth to get some of the AoE stuff they had there, and that there were X-Wing units that were not yet available in stores.

Now it all depends on what definition of Q2 they are using. GenCon will either fall in the middle of Q3 or the end of Q2. Some versions of quarters include January in Q4.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS