Took some Bombers to a tourney...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

A friendly FLGS this past weekend hosted a tourney, which i was able to participate in.  While i didn't win, 3rd place is A-OK to me, and figured i would post about my experience.

This is from memory, so some things may not be very clear...

My Squad...

Capt. Jonus /w Squad Leader

Gamma Squadron /w Concussion, Proton x 2

Academy Pilot x 2

The logic was to let the Bombers do what they do, while the TIE's ran interference in hopes to action deny and keep the opponent at range until the Alpha could go off.

In every match, i set my ships up in the following formation...

T      T

G      J      G

Round 1.

Opponent's Squad:

Capt. Jonus /w ?

3 Gamma Squad Pilots /w a mix of either Proton or Concussion, and Seismic

I gain Initiative (which i didn't want), and set my TIE's up along the left side of the map due to asteroid placement.  I place my Gamma's and he sets up directly across from me.  I place Jonus in the formation and we begin.  Having Initiative hurt me in the initial TL round, with a crit causing me to discard a missile and the remaining bombers on his side focusing down that same ship destroying it before i could get the Torpedo off.

In my volley, i was unable to destroy one of his bombers.  Next round, i attempt to fly right past him with K turns hoping to get behind with the bombers while the ties go slow forward to stall his advance.  I totally forget about his bombs, and 2 of my ships eat 3 seismic charges.

From here, it goes about as dull as a dogfight with Bombers would be ending with my loss...

Conclusion:

some bad dice and real poor movement on my end, and i just couldn't recover from the Alpha.

0-1

Round 2.

Opponent's Squad:

Horton /w Proton, Ion

Dutch /w Ion

Prototype x 2

I lose Initiative (yay!), and setup along the right side of the map due to asteroids allowing a nice bank into the middle.  He sets up in the middle with A's in front of the Y's.

I move past the asteroid and bank towards the middle.  His A's rush headlong towards me and i'm able to TL both A's.  My TIE's block his A's advancement, and with some bad rolls on his end my Alpha one-shots one A, and one of the TIE's with Jonus ends the other A through Primary weapon.

His Y's come in and his Proton lands a crit having me discard a missile and land an Ion shot.  My TIE's keep the Y's at bay, and with Jonus dishing SL to one of the Gammas, i was able to TL + F and 1-2 punch Horton off the map, and severely injure Dutch with remaining laser fire.  From here he conceded the match as my ships have taken minimal damage.

Conclusion:

MUCH better flying on my part, and the Alpha was most effective to the point i didn't need Jonus for re-rolls.  He agreed he shouldn't have rushed his A's in like he did.  Some bad rolls on his end, and some great rolls on my end certainly swayed the balance early on.

1-1

Round 3.

Opponent's Squad:

Wedge /w ?

Biggs

Dutch /w Ion

Prototype

I set my formation up along the left side, and his 4 ships are spread out evenly along his side.  I fly past the first asteroid, and bank towards the middle.  A movement error on his part keeps Biggs out of my arc and sticks Wedge on an asteroid, and my initial volley ends Wedge before he is able to get a shot in.  He Ion's a bomber, so i keep the other bombers in formation trying to use the TIE's to keep the rest away.  He lands a crit on one of my bombers, and i lose a missile. (Yes, i drew discard a secondary as a crit in every match!)  From here, i'm able to remove Biggs (because i have to) and he's left with a Y and an A at the cost of one of my bombers (i drew 3 Direct Damage crits).  From here, i have his Y on the run and a few turns later i'm able to bring my other bomber around and fire off my last torpedo into Dutch for a range 3 kill (this bomber had 1 hull left).  

At this point, Jonus and my TIE's zig-zag around the nimble prototype, but i do eventually get the A into arc and remove it.

Conclusion:

I didn't fly bad, but this match would have gone much different if Wedge hadn't landed on top of an asteroid with Biggs in arc on the initial firing exchange.  Alpha was about 60%-70% effective ending Wedge then Biggs rather quickly, and stripping the Y's shields.  Rolls weren't as good in this one, so Jonus definitely helped in that area.

2-1

From here, the TO gathered all of the info and released the results.  The guy who went 3-0 was the winner, with second place going to a TIE swarm squad that went 2-1.  I ended up with 3rd.

All in all, i was pretty pleased with the squad and look forward to launching more missiles and torps at the Rebels.

P.S.

Sable, if you are out there, the guy who took first place was running...

OGP /w FCS, Gunner, Engine  :)

Howlrunner /w Swarm Tactics

Academy Pilot x 4

Edited by Johdo, 09 February 2014 - 10:59 PM.

• The_Brown_Bomber and SableGryphon like this

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#2 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thank you very much for the write-up. Sounds like you had fun.

On of the locals runs the same list you used. However, he doesn't place the TIEs in front of his bombers during setup, he places them to the side at a specific distance. If you setup across from him, on turn 2, he moves them with a 3 bank in front of the bombers. This usually catches people off guard and works as a surprise blocking force.

I'm happy to see the Alabaster Nebula Cow getting love in the tournament scene, even is just small ones like this. :)

• Johdo likes this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#3 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Thank you very much for the write-up. Sounds like you had fun.

On of the locals runs the same list you used. However, he doesn't place the TIEs in front of his bombers during setup, he places them to the side at a specific distance. If you setup across from him, on turn 2, he moves them with a 3 bank in front of the bombers. This usually catches people off guard and works as a surprise blocking force.

I'm happy to see the Alabaster Nebula Cow getting love in the tournament scene, even is just small ones like this. :)

Yeah, had a great time, but then again anyday i get to play X-wing is a good day so...

I'll have to give that a try next time with the TIEs.  Surprise is good, especially during that initial placement phase.

Agreed.  I saw the shuttle come out and smiled.  The shuttle makes me happy.

• SableGryphon likes this

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS