Frodo, Sam, and the Dunedain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Here is a 2 hero Secrecy deck with Frodo and Sam. It is a somewhat of a theme deck, but has proven to be pretty strong and fun to play. A starting threat of 15 gives provides a good window to play lots of secrecy cards at their reduced rate. Among those Resourceful and Timely Aid are the most important early on, but Dunedain Wanderer has been quite strong in this deck. There are lots of threat reduction cards to maintain secrecy for quite awhile. This is the type of deck, that if things go well you will have more than 10 strong allies in play, of which many will be of the Dunedain trait.

Hero (2)
Frodo Baggins (CatC) x1
Sam Gamgee (TBR) x1

Ally (21)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x1
Bill the Pony (TBR) x1
Damrod (HON) x1
Dunedain Wanderer (RtR) x3
Dunedain Watcher (TDM) x3
Elfhelm (TDM) x1
Faramir (Core) x1
Gandalf (Core) x3
Northern Tracker (Core) x3
Son of Arnor (Core) x3
Bilbo Baggins (TRD) x1 He has already become a deck staple that uses Hobbit Pipe.

Attachment (9)
Good Meal (TRG) x3
Hobbit Pipe (TBR) x3
Resourceful (TWitW) x3

Event (20)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
A Very Good Tale (OHaUH) x3
Smoke Rings (TBR) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x3
Timely Aid (TRG) x3
Second Breakfast (CatC) x2 replace these with SoG for a stronger deck

Strategy:
Most of the strategy really comes down to the opening hand, and most things will fall into place from there. Resourceful is key I'll usually attach the first copy to which ever hero has more high cost cards of a sphere in my hand. then the next copy will go to the other hero. Dunedain Wander wanderer works really well with A very Good Tale. In secrecy you can often get 2 copies of him in play early on, and then exhaust both of them for 10, if the draw works well you can play two really strong allies. Son of Arnor works well with Sam giving him a willpower boost for the quest. Once more strong questers are in play I actually do more defending with Frodo, since a bad shadow card could ruin Sam's day. I had Hobbit Cloak in the deck for awhile, but it just took up space, and now any attacks that went over Frodo's defense I just add as threat. Arwen can help boost him too. Hobbit Pipes work pretty good in the deck.

Besides some easy to moderate quests the deck did get 2 victories on Morgul Vale In about 8 tries.

As always, Let me know what you think, I'd love to take this one to Mount Doom, but I'll have to substitute for Saga Frodo instead.

Edited by Tracker1, 10 February 2014 - 05:41 AM.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#2 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Brilliant deck. I look forward to trying it.

"I will not be suppressed!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#3 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

Brilliant deck. I look forward to trying it.

Just edited the deck to take out the 2 SoG, for 2 Second Breakfast, which work really nice to get copies of Resourceful that are discarded by AVGT. Going for theme here too, this is Frodo and Sam were talking about and they do get hungry. The rabbit on the resourceful card looks mighty tasty.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#4 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

Did you try it on the Black Riders quests?

Edit: Nevermind. That was a stupid question. I blame the ale.

Edited by Bullroarer Took, 09 February 2014 - 11:08 PM.

"I will not be suppressed!" - Nalir the Dwarf

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS