X-Wing Life-hacks

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 berusplants

berusplants

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

Always start with you ships at an angle and be cautious with your first move. 

Why?

I am not saying it's a bad idea but an explanation would be great since it seems to be highly dependent on the ships you are using.

True! I like that it makes you look like you are heading one way but with a turn you can equally go in the other direction. 

As for the caution, well I see a lot of newer players charging off with a 4 or 5 first move, often causing themselves problems! 

Edited by berusplants, 10 February 2014 - 04:22 AM.

• willmanx and Scurvy Lobster like this

4 Ties, 2 Advanceds, 2 Bombers, 3 Squints (inc Aces), 2 Defenders, 1 Phantom, 1 Firespray and 2 Shuttles.

3Xs, 2Ys 3Bs, 3As (inc Aces), 1E, 3Z95s, 1 HWK, 1 YT1200 and a Transport.

#22 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

Having trouble visualizing the distance of Turns? Watch your firing arc.

When turning right, the right border of your firing arc will always be on the same line as your left when you complete the maneuver. Vice versa for turning the other direction.

Similarly, when banking, the line from the back corner of your ship to the front center will be the same line as the back-center of your ending to it's front corner of the same side!

Sense to me, this does not make.

#23 JFunk

JFunk

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

One thing I have noticed is that if you are going to do a 90 turn, then you know you will end up placing your ship along one of your firing arc lines. If you see an asteroid directly along that line, you may need to reconsider that turn or its speed.

• willmanx and Scurvy Lobster like this

#24 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

When turning right, the right border of your firing arc will always be on the same line as your left when you complete the maneuver. Vice versa for turning the other direction.

Similarly, when banking, the line from the back corner of your ship to the front center will be the same line as the back-center of your ending to it's front corner of the same side!

if I knew how to post pictures in the forum, I could diagram it for you.

• Keffisch, Hida77 and That One Guy like this

#25 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

If you set up in the two corners at 45 degrees, you can react easier based on how the enemy sets up.  As such, this is particularly useful for lower PS ships.  Note that this doesn't really apply to swarms.  

Basically, if the opponent sets up across his main force across from one of your halves, it can bank towards the center, allowing your other half to join up in the center, recombining forces.  If he sets a flanker up against one of them, then that half force can chase down the flanker, while the other team stalls the engagement with the main force.  

If he sets up such that he's clearly avoiding fighting in the asteroids, you can "rotate" the board by having both of your squads do the same left bank or right bank, which will eventually force him to cut corners through the asteroid.

It's not a bad "first planned" setup that's generic enough to work to some extent against all enemies.  That being said, with it being a generic setup, one can always improve upon it based on the squad you're flying, your opponent is flying, and the asteroid setup.  

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#26 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

I think they have to be already on the internet somewhere.

Something I like to do is break from one target to pursue another. Your opponent will rarely suspect it, or at least that has been the case in my experience. Generally they expect you to keep dogging one ship, but keep your eye out for other pieces on the board that you could suddenly turn and attack. This works best with fast, maneuverable ships like TIEs, Interceptors or A-Wings. It also works best if the movement you use to disengage from one fight to engage in the other is either a) a very fast maneuver like a 4 or 5 straight, or b) a turn in completely the opposite direction from the opponent you've been chasing up to this point. So if you've been doing tight 1-2 right turns to follow someone, then break left with a 3 bank. Sort of gives your combat a "water flowing over rocks" feel...

#27 sozin

sozin

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Learned from Hothie: worried you're going to k-turn off the board?  Use that asteroid conveniently placed at range 2 away from the edge to know that you won't.  Works for 3 and 4 k-turns for small ships and 3 k-turns for big ones.

https://www.dropbox....10 08.40.32.png

Edited by sozin, 10 February 2014 - 08:47 AM.

• oneway, Hida77, Khyros and 2 others like this

#28 sozin

sozin

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

Tried to get pictures to work.  failed.  here's a link: 

https://www.dropbox....10 08.52.42.png

• Keffisch likes this

#29 Rekkon

Rekkon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

This is not strictly true.  Fire arcs are approximately 80 degrees wide, not 90.

• Aminar likes this

#30 sozin

sozin

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

Learned from National Champ AtomicBoxier: If you're setting up your ships in formation flying position and worried that they might crash into each other, keep them separated and straight by positioning a maneuver template between them.

https://www.dropbox....10 08.59.21.png

• willmanx likes this

#31 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

Learned from National Champ AtomicBoxier: If you're setting up your ships in formation flying position and worried that they might crash into each other, keep them separated and straight by positioning a maneuver template between them.

https://www.dropbox....10 08.59.21.png

its important to remember that the width of any movement template, that way you can be as close as possible (overlapping fire)

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#32 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Never be afraid to use the K turn.

Good firing position is worth more than your action. This relates to K-turns and bump moves.
  • willmanx, RoosterOnAWire and DraconPyrothayan like this
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#33 RoosterOnAWire

RoosterOnAWire

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

• Use everything on the board as clues to measuring distance.
    • If you know a ship ahead of you was just range 2 ahead of you last turn, that means you can safely span the distance of a 5 straight (so a small ship can move 4 straight, a medium ship can move 3 straight).
    • As mentioned previously, set asteroids so they help you gauge distances at certain points of the board
    • Knowing that a small ship is the distance of a 1-forward and a medium ship is the distance of a 2-forward, use your enemy's ships in front of you to help gauge whether or not a move past them will succeed (often key when k-turning)
  • When keeping small ships in formation with medium based ships, remember the mediums move farther because of the size of their base and adjust the speed of your small ships accordingly.
  • It has been my experience that most players are biased to try to anticipate what the most logical move in any given situation will be, then plan their movement based on those assumptions. Use this to your advantage and seek out ways to do the unexpected. Predictability kills in this game, and doing just one key unexpected move can make a huge disruption in you opponent's game plan.
  • Use lures. Make your opponent think they should be focused on one threat while you sneak behind him with what he should actually be worried about. By the time they realize what you're up to, it is often too late.
  • Fly casual. But not too casual.

• willmanx, oneway, DraconPyrothayan and 1 other like this
Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 E-Wings, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IVGalactic Empire Peacekeepers: 11 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders<p>

#34 RoosterOnAWire

RoosterOnAWire

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Never be afraid to use the K turn.

Good firing position is worth more than your action. This relates to K-turns and bump moves.

Especially if your name rhymes with Quackstabber.

• Revanchist and berusplants like this
Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 E-Wings, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IVGalactic Empire Peacekeepers: 11 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders<p>

#35 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Sometimes the target lock is better for misdirection.

• Hrathen, willmanx, Radarman5 and 1 other like this
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#36 Sprolly G

Sprolly G

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Use a Laser-Level to determine if a ship is in or out of arc for those "I'm not sure" situations.

#37 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

• Fly casual. But not too casual.

You wouldn't want to look like you're keeping your distance...

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#38 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Sometimes the target lock is better for misdirection.

you could also just take Deadeye and keep everyone guessing.

#39 Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

Here's one more:

Fly All Ships!

Why: you get to learn their strengths and weaknesses better than only playing against them. Especially their dials are something that I learned better from actually taking the X-wing and B-wing for a spin.

• haslo, The_Brown_Bomber, Revanchist and 6 others like this

#40 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:45 AM

^That one cannot be stressed enough.

How do you know that you hate the Hawk if you never fly it? Perhaps you're just flying it wrong or the situation hasn't demanded it yet.

• DraconPyrothayan and Aminar like this

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 5 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 E-wing

Galactic Empire: 7 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Interceptors, 3 181st TIE interceptors, 3 Royal Guard Interceptors

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS