Future Peasant 40k - Teeming Masses RPG

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Greengoat

Greengoat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hey folks, I was noticing that the RT core book lays out the equivalent experince differences between starting Dark Heresy and RT characters. What the are the starting experince levels of new charcters in the other games in the 40k line? Can all the charcter types generally work in the same system besides thematic differences?

Also, I have this perverse desire to create an adventure featuring the lowerest rung characters in imperial society. Surfs, peasants, citzens, etc. Are there any of the books in the line that would help to figure out how to generate a schlub? I know the RT core book has the "colonist" npc listing that is pretty useful. Any ideas how to generate one? Just start a charcater with lower stat rolls and give them a homeworld?

#2 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

In answer to the first question: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, etc... are all supposed to be compatible with each other.  However, it should be noted that Dark Heresy characters can get much more powerful, as they can get the most talents for the least amount of XP.  But for comparison, using XP as a benchmark:

Dark Heresy Characters start with 400 XP
Rogue Trader Characters start 5,000 XP.
Deathwatch Characters start at 14,000 XP.
Black Crusade Human Characters start at 7,000 XP.
Black Crusade Chaos Space Marine Characters start at 8,000 XP.
Only War Characters start at 2,000 XP.

As for your second question, have you considered running a Warhammer Fantasy campaign?  With character classes (chosen at random) such as newssheet vendor, rat catcher, barber-surgeon, charcoal burner, chimneysweep, ex-convict and servant can please any sadistic GM.  Also, did I mention that money and armor is hard to come by in that setting?

Edited by jabberwoky, 09 February 2014 - 03:53 PM.

• Greengoat likes this

#3 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

Dark Heresy Characters start with 400 XP

Only War Characters start at 2,000 XP.

I know why this happened, but I still find it hilarious that "Person chosen to be one of trillions to die shining a flashlight at the innumerable hordes of mankind's enemies" is five times more experienced than "Clandestine agent working behind the scenes to root out corruption and foil the most cunning plots imaginable."

• Cobra Commander, Nameless2all and Greengoat like this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#4 Greengoat

Greengoat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

As for your second question, have you considered running a Warhammer Fantasy campaign?  With character classes (chosen at random) such as newssheet vendor, rat catcher, barber-surgeon, charcoal burner, chimneysweep, ex-convict and servant can please any sadistic GM.  Also, did I mention that money and armor is hard to come by in that setting?

This thought did cross my mind. It would probably be easy enough to do a little conversion.

Although I don't think I will be touching WFRP 3rd with a 10 foot pole. Lot's of neat components does not a great RPG make. I wish I didn't give away my second edition book.

#5 Greengoat

Greengoat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

I know why this happened, but I still find it hilarious that "Person chosen to be one of trillions to die shining a flashlight at the innumerable hordes of mankind's enemies" is five times more experienced than "Clandestine agent working behind the scenes to root out corruption and foil the most cunning plots imaginable."

Are the Only War characters supposed to be particularly baddass veterans? That seems counterintuitive.
Also, are there implementations of "standard" Space Marines in Deathwatch instead of Uber-Mega-Stern-Veteren Marines in DW?

#6 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Only War characters are the main characters in a war movie. They still get killed rather easily, but they're a cut above the rest. They're not really freshly tithed recruits, and even then most are raised from the PDF and so have some training to fall back on.

Besides, contrary to the popular idea, the Imperial Guard's a kickass military full of kickass people. It just so happens that humanity's finest barely registers against every other species out there.

• Greengoat likes this

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#7 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

This thought did cross my mind. It would probably be easy enough to do a little conversion.
Although I don't think I will be touching WFRP 3rd with a 10 foot pole. Lot's of neat components does not a great RPG make. I wish I didn't give away my second edition book.

I was meaning 2nd Edition WFRP... where else can you have a starting career called "Protagonist"?
  • Greengoat likes this

#8 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

I was meaning 2nd Edition WFRP... where else can you have a starting career called "Protagonist"?

1st edition WFRPG? ;)

• Hygric and Greengoat like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS