Walking Over Gates?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BenEggler

BenEggler

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

So, with the new Gate markers that came with Lurker at the Threshold, gate markers were given different characteristics. One of these, is the roaming Gate. One thing I've always wondered, and always meant to ask but always forgot, is: can an investigator walk over a street location that has a Gate marker on it? I know that if you are standing on a Street and a Gate moves into your space, it sucks you in (as if it opened up beneath you from an encounter or in the Mythos phase), but is it legal to step over a Gate marker and continue walking? Or are you automatically sucked inside?

I've been playing that you can, since the rules state that an investigator has to end their movement on a Gate in order to go through. But, since this is a rule from the Vanilla game, I was wondering if there is an exception for the Roaming Gates.

• Julia likes this

#2 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

Remember that entering a gate only happens during the Arkham Encounter phase after the movement phase. During the movement phase, just ignore the gates; it's as if they're not even there.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

One of these, is the roaming Gate.

sorry, I couldn't avoid laughing at the image of this poor gate trying to connect his mobile phone to a foreign mobile network: "Arkham Encounters: resolve the roaming functions of your Other World connections then pay the bill, or a monster appears"

(apologies, really, not pulling your leg, but the image is awesome)

Anyhoo, as Musha said: you enter gates during Arkham Encounters, not during Movement, so that in fact you can move over the moving gate as long as you wish (or your movement points allow you)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

Giant steps are what you take

Walking over gates

I hope the world don't break

Walking over gates

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

For $500, Alex, the answer is "Who is Sting?"

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#6 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Either Paul Newman or Robert Redford? (Cue Scott Joplin's The Entertainer)

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#7 BenEggler

BenEggler

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thanks everyone! :)

I figured that was the case, but the reason I was thinking it might not be is because when you walk through a space with a Monster in it, your movement ends. I didn't know if walking into a space with a Gate on it ended your movement. I appreciate the help!

And yes, Julia, that's a fantastic image. Haha. Hopefully roaming Gates always get poor signals to the Other World.

• Julia likes this

#8 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Yes, that is a good point, but thematically, the monsters are out looking for something to munch on, which is why you have to pass an evade check or they find you and you have to fight them off. However, the gate is just kinda floating there searching for cell signal, apparently, and is too distracted to notice you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS