Wave 4: What it means for us and FFG

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#81 elfholme

elfholme

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.
Disney is trying to erase all things prequel right now.

Is that fact or are you speculating?

He's speculating. As noted, FFG has *already used* prequel stuff in their products. Their RPG has Gungans and Toydarians and battle droids. Heck, even THIS game has the Senator's Shuttle in the CORE SET - and that was from Episode 1.

Indeed, the only time the Z-95 appeared on-screen at all was during the CGI 'Clone Wars' TV series, so...

Yeah, the prequels are unquestionably *in*.
Not sure about the shuttle, but the Z-95 doesn't indicate that. Headhunters were in use during the Galactic Civil War and beyond. Also, Rogue Squadron used them. They only indicate that the EU is *in*, not the prequels. And that is why I'll be buying 6 Headhunters when they come out. :)

I don't much care about whether or not they actually release prequel ships, but I doubt I'd buy any, and I'd be very interested in how FFG intended to mix them in. The coolest fights in the prequels (and Clone Wars cartoon) happen on the ground anyway.

On the whole, I'd rather see more EU (non-prequel) ships, and more alternate pilots for the ships we *do* have. Porkins is the best thing about the Transport set, IMO.

Edited by elfholme, 11 February 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#82 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Porkins and friends.

#83 SheepDog

SheepDog

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

elfholem: "On the whole, I'd rather see more EU (non-prequel) ships, and more alternate pilots for the ships we *do* have. Porkins is the best thing about the Transport set, IMO."

This.  Go with what is working.  EU ships and the "Rebellion" time period are successful and safe. 

Edited by SheepDog, 11 February 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#84 elfholme

elfholme

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Porkins and friends.

LOL! True, but I'm most interested in Porkins. I'd love to have all the pilots from the Battle of Yavin that we see in ANH.

#85 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Honestly, after reading the X-Wing novels, I'm most interested in Wes Janson

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#86 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

Janson's ability: Make a wisecrack and remove one stress token from a friendly ship at range 1. Unless that ship is flown by Wedge Antilles, in which case he GAINS a stress token.

• nurglez, J43G3RM31ST3R and MajorJuggler like this

#87 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Janson's ability: Make a wisecrack and remove one stress token from a friendly ship at range 1. Unless that ship is flown by Wedge Antilles, in which case he GAINS a stress token.

Yub yub Commander

In all seriousness, he was marksman-rated on like every possible long distance weapon, from hand blasters to harpoon turrets.

Edited by Audio Weasel, 11 February 2014 - 04:52 PM.

• nurglez likes this

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#88 James G Graham

James G Graham

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

I am truly excited that they have step over into the EU. Bring on the pirates and lets stop thinking this is a 2 faction war anymore. As long as the ships they choose are meaningful and not just some space junk for fodder I am all in. Now with all the bombers from both sides out its time to bring in the capitol ships for the empire possibly the tartan cruiser since that is the equivalent of the corvette.

Does anyone else hear the imperial march when your on these forums??

PS. Still amazing jobs on those models FFG. Just awesome keep it up.

#89 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Please, this fanbase is large enough that there is plenty of room for fans of different segments. People who don't like the Thrawn Trilogy are just as much a fan as those who only like the movies. What makes Star Wars Star Wars is different for different people. The dismissal of the various groups is tiring. The current EU has become flat out terrible, imo. I'm also weird in that I've let go of continuity concerns. "Canon" is something for OCD fans to concern themselves with, in some cases, missing out on some great stories.

People can like what they like. And really, criticizing the "movie" purists for sticking to movie ships that utilize some EU elements is so childish and pedantic.

I disagree.

They may not like some (or all) of the amazing EU out there (You gotta dig, but it's there.) and that's because they obviously have poor taste in fiction or are too lazy to give a damn. I'm leaning towards being lazy.

They can also like or dislike what they choose, but if there is any screeching about EU material in this game, the soggy trout is always handy.

What's the price point on the Transport and Tantive IV?

Can't wait till they cave and give us the "Scum and Villainy" faction. ;)

Edited by Arthur Volts, 11 February 2014 - 05:06 PM.

• stegocent likes this

#90 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

How do we determine what is good and what is not? Whose opinion do we follow? Who determines who is a true fan?

#91 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

I read through most of the discussion here and a lot of good points have been made.  To be honest, I'm not really excited for these new ships.  I've never been a fan of Episodes 1-3, nor am I a fan of the Extended Universe.

I do believe they will be fun in the game.  I think FFG has had some awesome ideas with this game, and I recognize that as one of the hottest games on the planet, they (as a business) need to capitalize on that.  It seems like most people are super stoked for Wave 4, so I'm happy that the community is so happy.

I may buy them to get the upgrade cards for things like Ship Mods and Pilot Skills, but I don't plan on using these to game with anytime soon.

• oxymandias likes this

#92 elfholme

elfholme

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yub yub Commander

In all seriousness, he was marksman-rated on like every possible long distance weapon, from hand blasters to harpoon turrets.

I like janson fine, but he missed the Battle of Yavin. ;)

I'd really like all of Rogue Squadron from the books though. Personally i want Corran Horn more than the other missing Rogues, but it's just personal preference really.

I want all of Red Squadron so I can run some fun games at Cons on the 6'x3' Death Star trench map I have. I'll be giving it a test run at Conquest Sacramento next month, but will have to use generic Red Squadron pilots for most of the X-Wings. Oh, the humanity! ;)

Red Squadron is also the most nostalgic for me. I watched ANH in the theater (when it was just Star Wars ;) ) when I was 8.

#93 nurglez

nurglez

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

There are all sorts of players of this game, as there are fans of the films, prequels, EU etc.

Personally I wanna get 2 defenders and 2 phantoms. I've wanted a defender since I started playing this game, having flown it in x wing alliance and heard about it from the rogue/wraith squadron books. I haven't heard much about the phantom but with those stats I want 2 :D

Less fussed about the rebel ships, but I'll probably pick up 1-2 each of them to help keep my rebel force similar sized to my imperial one :D

ships owned

Empire : 3 Firesprays, 7 Tie fighters, 1 Tie advanced, 5 Tie interceptors, 3 Tie bombers, 2 Lambdas, 2 Defenders, 2 Phantoms

Rebel scum: 4 X wings, 3 A wings, 2 B wings, 3 Y wing, 1 E wing, 2 Z's, 2 Hwk, 1 Falcon, 1 Transport, 1 Tantive

#94 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

This game is a niche within a niche within a niche.

With VERY few exceptions, only truly manic fans will cough up the credits for this game; it's not a cheap hobby. I'm well-known in my area as a Star Wars geek of near-epic proportions, and yet folks on this site talk about stuff I've never even heard of. 

I'm really not too concerned about First-Tier purity. I feel confident that the TIE Defenders will sell like the proverbial hotcakes (though for me, the Z-95s are the big draw).

#95 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

... As much as I want FFG to always have the liscence (as they are stars above my favorite game company) and to always produce this game, I know that's an impossibility, so I refuse to be dissapointed when the liscence leaves their hands.

Just rejoice in everything as it is put out.  Quite frankly, this is a pretty robust game now.  I'd love for there to be a bunch more waves, and I'm quite excited that FFG decided to embrace the EU since that opens up a lot more really cool ships.  I'm hoping the next wave will have a couple more large ships for us (like in wave 2) and after that we get a least one more huge.  But, if I was stuck with what was already made and already announced I'd be quite happy.  I haven't begun to exhaust all the possibilities with what I already have, let alone what is on order.  And I'd finally be able to determine what kind of custom Battlefoam layouts I'd really need to house my fleet!  ;)  Long live X-Wing Battles!

#96 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

I read through most of the discussion here and a lot of good points have been made.  To be honest, I'm not really excited for these new ships.  I've never been a fan of Episodes 1-3, nor am I a fan of the Extended Universe.

I do believe they will be fun in the game.  I think FFG has had some awesome ideas with this game, and I recognize that as one of the hottest games on the planet, they (as a business) need to capitalize on that.  It seems like most people are super stoked for Wave 4, so I'm happy that the community is so happy.

I may buy them to get the upgrade cards for things like Ship Mods and Pilot Skills, but I don't plan on using these to game with anytime soon.

Vase, more power to you.  I think the game has grown large enough that many people will be forced to choose what ships they actually want to use.  I wholeheartedly encourage you to go with whatever pieces make you happiest.  I agree, that the original trilogy movies ships will probably the most popular across the board.  But just because every ship doesn't sell like an X-Wing or Falcon does, doesn't mean it is a failure.  And, when someone buys their first ships because they are cool recognizable Star Wars ships, there is always a chance they will actually play the game and get hooked on it.  All of a sudden, those ships they don't recognize may become tempting after all.

• Engine25 likes this

#97 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Even when they run out of "new" ships, there are many options to produce only card packs for all the pilots that have been missed. Even tech and uprade packs. They have to pick and choose, but there are many options still available. Doubling up on some of the Heroes could also be down the line.

We're talking about YEARS down the line before things start scraping the bottom of the barrel for releases.....and when they are....they'll start doing prequel ships.

When that day cometh I would rather them release a ground combat game with walkers that are a few inches high, infantry and all the other lovely pew pew's from Empire Strikes Back and beyond we can think of.

Edited by Arthur Volts, 11 February 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#98 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

One other thing wave 4 portends is a 10pt fighter for the empire. I'm betting on a 10pt droid fighter.

Evade, barrel roll, droid only upgrade. No stress and a crazy dial.

Whether or not it is a prequel droid or not is the surprise.

Tie/D fighter. No need for the garbage Episode wars trash 

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#99 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:36 AM

Hell yeah it does! Who needs FFG to do repaints , do it yourself . Staring at a squad of green A wings right now.

I do, I do... 

I know I picked this game up without knowing anything about it simply because it was Star Wars and the miniatures looked awesome. I had no prior miniature gaming experience. And even though this game is incredibly fun and exciting to play, if it wasn't Star Wars I wouldn't bother with it.

I gave up paint minis years ago.  I found I have neither the patience nor skill.  When I saw this game I thought it over and decided to purchase a few figures just because I liked the models.  I had no idea if I would play or if it was playable.  Now I'm hooked.  

So, for me at least, the main reason I got into the game is because of the painted and detailed miniatures.  If I had any grips at all it would be with the Aces.  Don't get me wrong I love the Aces and am planing on getting them.  But being on a tight budget I feel I've over spent on my interceptors.  That bothers me a little since it kind of feels like I've wasted money for extra models.  I would have gotten the interceptors but not 4 (four) of them.  Now I'll have two that I feel I just wasted money on; I just wish I had known what was coming.  Should I wait on the E95 and Defender now and only buy one to wait and see what happens?

Getting back, keep up the good work Fantasy Flight.  I enjoy the game and love the miniatures.

You should look at trying out some paint pens, a very easy way of painting some blue strips on a X-wing or some green on an A-wing then using a nice dip like Quickshade.... I believe you would be very surprised how good a quick paint job can look and it's even better when it's done by your own hand :)

• Rakky Wistol likes this

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#100 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

Broke

Edited by stegocent, 12 February 2014 - 07:08 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS