Wave 4: What it means for us and FFG

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.
Disney is trying to erase all things prequel right now.

Is that fact or are you speculating?

#42 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.

He's speculating.  As noted, FFG has *already used* prequel stuff in their products.  Their RPG has Gungans and Toydarians and battle droids.  Heck, even THIS game has the Senator's Shuttle in the CORE SET - and that was from Episode 1.

Indeed, the only time the Z-95 appeared on-screen at all was during the CGI 'Clone Wars' TV series, so...

Yeah, the prequels are unquestionably *in*.

Still, FFG has stated that the time period of the game is 'the Rebellion Era', so I would personally NOT expect to see the Republic and Separatists as distinct factions.  It seems more likely to me that we just get some ships from that period in the future waves, as 'Clone Wars surplus' that are still in use.  (The Rebels would surely use any ARC-170s they could get their hands on, for example)

Edited by xanderf, 09 February 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#43 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

One other thing wave 4 portends is a 10pt fighter for the empire. I'm betting on a 10pt droid fighter.

Evade, barrel roll, droid only upgrade. No stress and a crazy dial.

Whether or not it is a prequel droid or not is the surprise.

#44 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

He's speculating.  As noted, FFG has *already used* prequel stuff in their products.  Their RPG has Gungans and Toydarians and battle droids.  Heck, even THIS game has the Senator's Shuttle in the CORE SET - and that was from Episode 1.

Indeed, the only time the Z-95 appeared on-screen at all was during the CGI 'Clone Wars' TV series, so...

Still, FFG has stated that the time period of the game is 'the Rebellion Era', so I would personally NOT expect to see the Republic and Separatists as distinct factions.  It seems more likely to me that we just get some ships from that period in the future waves, as 'Clone Wars surplus' that are still in use.  (The Rebels would surely use any ARC-170s they could get their hands on, for example)

That's a point - I recently acquired a baby Nexu in Edge of the Empire :)

#45 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

I wouldn't be to sure on no new factions. 2 waves of prequel would give them just about enough time for the new trilogy to drop some new ships if you also add in a rebel aces pack (1 Awing, 1 Ywing please), some repaints, and an Imperial War Machine pack with titles to turn the advanced into x2-7 and an avenger even; a few titles for some of the other tie variants; other upgrades usable for the interceptor too; maybe a really obscene dial; maybe a rear firing arc inset for the advanced. Fun stuff.

Eta-2, cloakscape,Nantex, naboo fighter, vulture droids, Arc-180, fanblade fighters, vwing, droid trifighter, kwing, sith intercepter, rogue class, scarab,aethersprite, hex, skipspray blastboat, Belbullab-22... More than 2 waves worth for sure.

#46 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

I don't have much knowledge of the EU but, in my opinion, the more ships in the game, the better it will be.
  • smokingmonkee and Takeda like this

#47 petercooman123

petercooman123

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

I have no interest in the EU.

Does this mean i won't buy the new stuff?  If it turns out there are some good upgrades in there, i might still buy them :D

The headhunter i will probably buy, as i already love the miniature, the E wing too. They are different enough from the others.

The TIE' s i don't like, and will probably steer clear of those. Unless they contain good upgrades!

My point being, if you start to get clear of the original (and thus widely known) ships from the films, some (purist) people might still be persuaded to buy them, but probably for other reasons, like coolness of the miniature, of playability of the cards.

#48 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

There are a number of Star Wars fans who won't bother with things like E-Wings and Tie Phantoms. 

But there are few X-Wing Miniatures players who won't get them just because they're from the EU.  Most of us are Star Wars fans as well as miniature game players, with some being more one or the other.  Sure a lot of people play this game because it's Star Wars, and got into the game for that same reason.

But anyone who gamer as much as a SW fan will look at these ships and get them because of what they offer to the game play, and the fact that they're EU ships is a secondary reason if it's a factor at all.

#49 PhantomPilot

PhantomPilot

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Now that the Expanded Universe is coming en masse, I'm more invested in this game than ever before. The TIE Phantom represents a super-important moment in my childhood and you can bet on me running a full squadron of them. Maybe with a Lambda-shuttle that I'll call Epsilon Four... 

• Rakky Wistol likes this

#50 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

The ships are all great concepts too.  A Rebel missile carrying swarm.  A Rebel maneuverable droid sensor combo.  An Imperial heavy fighter with three shields, large weapon and missiles and some sort of evade maneuver.  And an Imperial stealthy crew sensor ship with a 4 base attack.  All very foreign to what is currently out there, plus some new upgrade cards.  And more advanced sensors cards.  This is a lot to absorb.  But it won't be boring.  Add in a couple of huge ships with all sorts of new capabilities and some new X-Wing and Interceptor pilots.  Wow.  This isn't you parent's X-Wing.

Anyone skipping any of these new ships based on rigid fluff principles is really missing out.  How do we show them the light without offending their sense of that which is Star Wars?  Actually, as long as the game stays balanced, I guess it all works out no matter what ships you skip.  To each their own, then.

P.S.  I can't wait to dig into all this new stuff.  This is going to be fun.  I am also thinking we're getting to the point where scenarios that dictate the squads will be fun, since they can force variety and unusual pairings.  I hope FFG is working on something like this, for Cinematic play, although that sounds more like it will stick with the non-EU ships.

• The_Brown_Bomber, stegocent and superdave like this

#51 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

I play a number of FFG games, both board and miniature, and I have to say....  they get it.  It looks to me like a company for gamers BY gamers.  Wave 4 just flat out looks to me like turning the meta on its ear without breaking anything.  Just my opinion, and I am by NO means a gaming expert, though.

• Syleh Forge and Rakky Wistol like this

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#52 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

I don't understand why some people think they don't like EU, if FF didn't use any EU stuff we would only have named pilots for the falcon, X-wing, Slave 1,and the tie advanced!!!
  • Rakky Wistol likes this

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#53 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

I wouldn't be to sure on no new factions. 2 waves of prequel would give them just about enough time for the new trilogy to drop some new ships if you also add in a rebel aces pack (1 Awing, 1 Ywing please), some repaints, and an Imperial War Machine pack with titles to turn the advanced into x2-7 and an avenger even; a few titles for some of the other tie variants; other upgrades usable for the interceptor too; maybe a really obscene dial; maybe a rear firing arc inset for the advanced. Fun stuff.

Eta-2, cloakscape,Nantex, naboo fighter, vulture droids, Arc-180, fanblade fighters, vwing, droid trifighter, kwing, sith intercepter, rogue class, scarab,aethersprite, hex, skipspray blastboat, Belbullab-22... More than 2 waves worth for sure.

I would at least like to see some prequel craft added to the game, if not entire factions.  The fighters from the prequels are probably my favorite things about them.

However, regarding your comment about Rebel Aces, I have read a lot of boards saying that the Rebel Transport expansion is basically a Rebel Aces equivalent.  It comes with four new unique X Wing pilots including Porkins and Janson.

#54 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Translation: I have seen a lot of people speculating wildly that the Rebel Transport is basically a Rebel Aces equivalent, even though nothing FFG has put out about it has hinted at "Aces" anywhere.
  • Rakky Wistol and Engine25 like this

#55 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

The Rebel Transport explicitly comes with an X-Wing and in the original news item: "four new X-wing pilots, including Jek Porkins and Rebel ace Wes Janson."  They mention "Ace" specifically.  We have seen grainy images where there are four new X-Wing pilots shown with the RT.

Why are people caught up on the EU?  There is no EU.  There is only Star Wars Canon.  They are (or have) gotten rid of the concept of the EU all together.  There is just what is real and what is not.  Even if JJ wipes a lot of the Canon timeline out for episode 7 and starts a bunch of the story over (or at least what we think of as the former EU story), there is no reason to think he would want to re-design all the ships.  Why not use the stuff that's been created and maintain the look and feel, effectively for free?  That just makes good production and budget sense.  He can also add some things to it, but it's not like he has to remove TIE Defenders from ever existing for example.

• CrookedWookie likes this

#56 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hell yeah it does! Who needs FFG to do repaints , do it yourself . Staring at a squad of green A wings right now.

I do, I do... 

I know I picked this game up without knowing anything about it simply because it was Star Wars and the miniatures looked awesome. I had no prior miniature gaming experience. And even though this game is incredibly fun and exciting to play, if it wasn't Star Wars I wouldn't bother with it.

I gave up paint minis years ago.  I found I have neither the patience nor skill.  When I saw this game I thought it over and decided to purchase a few figures just because I liked the models.  I had no idea if I would play or if it was playable.  Now I'm hooked.  

So, for me at least, the main reason I got into the game is because of the painted and detailed miniatures.  If I had any grips at all it would be with the Aces.  Don't get me wrong I love the Aces and am planing on getting them.  But being on a tight budget I feel I've over spent on my interceptors.  That bothers me a little since it kind of feels like I've wasted money for extra models.  I would have gotten the interceptors but not 4 (four) of them.  Now I'll have two that I feel I just wasted money on; I just wish I had known what was coming.  Should I wait on the E95 and Defender now and only buy one to wait and see what happens?

Getting back, keep up the good work Fantasy Flight.  I enjoy the game and love the miniatures.

#57 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

I play a number of FFG games, both board and miniature, and I have to say....  they get it.  It looks to me like a company for gamers BY gamers.

Agreed!!!

#58 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Why not use the stuff that's been created and maintain the look and feel, effectively for free?

Because a lot of it isn't very good.  If they have a bunch of really good designers they can probably (hopefully) come up with some much better designs.

#59 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

The Rebel Transport explicitly comes with an X-Wing and in the original news item: "four new X-wing pilots, including Jek Porkins and Rebel ace Wes Janson."  They mention "Ace" specifically.  We have seen grainy images where there are four new X-Wing pilots shown with the RT.

Why are people caught up on the EU?  There is no EU.  There is only Star Wars Canon.  They are (or have) gotten rid of the concept of the EU all together.  There is just what is real and what is not.  Even if JJ wipes a lot of the Canon timeline out for episode 7 and starts a bunch of the story over (or at least what we think of as the former EU story), there is no reason to think he would want to re-design all the ships.  Why not use the stuff that's been created and maintain the look and feel, effectively for free?  That just makes good production and budget sense.  He can also add some things to it, but it's not like he has to remove TIE Defenders from ever existing for example.

Ok fair enough - I forgot the news item did use the word 'ace' in there somewhere.  And I wasn't trying to single out anyone specifically; I've just seen two rumors exploding all over the place that I've had trouble attributing.  The Transport is a 'Rebel aces equivalent,' and 'the game is moving to more than 100 points for standard play.'

Everyone seems to be claiming they heard these someplace, but nobody seems to actually be able to point out WHERE.

#60 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Heh yeah that would be as silly as him randomly redesigning Klingons or something.   :lol:

• stegocent likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS