Wave 4: What it means for us and FFG

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#21 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

I'm still going to only play exclusively empire, no matter the stats.

Because flying rebel makes me feel squeakily clean, Horrible feeling .Let the hate flow through you, join the empire.
  • BattlePriest likes this

#22 BattlePriest

BattlePriest

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Also die looking cool! (Ties do look cooler!) Coolness trumps being alive doesn't?  :P

• Drakhan Valane likes this

#23 Jokubas

Jokubas

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

It will be interesting to see what the reception is to this wave, but I doubt there will be any large backlash. The thing is, the truly casual fan would probably only definitively recognize the X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Millennium Falcon to begin with.

We'd have to have a breakdown of the demographics that play this game. If most players are really hardcore fans of at least the movies, then yeah, there might be a huge backlash. But if most players are simply fans of miniatures games and people who have seen the movies once or twice and think it looks like a neat game (most likely given most large customer bases), then it will be fine. People who have only seen the movies a couple of times and don't hang out in Star Wars fan communities, even if they thought the movies were awesome, probably couldn't tell you which TIE variants were in the movies and which weren't, even from these first four waves. I wouldn't even be surprised if the average player (as a whole, not on this forum), just assumes everything past the TIE Fighter itself was invented to provide variety (or will think they remember a TIE variant from a movie just because of the similarities).

Not to imply those people are stupid or anything. Just that, the average person usually doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to the details of something unless it's a personal favorite, and a lot of Star Wars ships, both in the movies and in the Expanded Universe, share a lot of details that will blur the line for people who don't spend a lot of time rewatching the movies or talking about them with other fans.

Edited by Jokubas, 08 February 2014 - 08:25 PM.

• Iffo, corsair117 and aadh like this

#24 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Also die looking cool! (Ties do look cooler!) Coolness trumps being alive doesn't?  :P

Of course it does, the rebels are a bunch of space hippies. :) I mean think about it , their base was in the forest and they team up with a bunch of Care Bears to kill storm troopers , all hippie I'm telling you!
  • BattlePriest likes this

#25 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

We all have our favorites but why would you only play Empire (or Rebels  for that matter)?  Its like eating only one flavor of ice cream or watching only Disney movies.

At the very least... the better you know your enemy, the better you can defeat your enemy.  And, the best way to learn your enemy's strengths and weaknesses...

Just seems kinda limiting but to each their own.

Chris

• Ringo67 likes this

#26 BattlePriest

BattlePriest

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

We all have our favorites but why would you only play Empire (or Rebels  for that matter)?  Its like eating only one flavor of ice cream or watching only Disney movies.

At the very least... the better you know your enemy, the better you can defeat your enemy.  And, the best way to learn your enemy's strengths and weaknesses...

Just seems kinda limiting but to each their own.

Chris

True, true, makes sense

#27 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

As long as they keep producing pieces I'l keep buying. The Z95 and Phantom are not my favorites of the next expansion. A have no desire to run a Rebel swarm and I don;t no how much different the Phantom can be compared to other Imperial ships already available. The big one is the Defender which I feel will be a game changer and it will be interesting to see if the E-wing can compete..

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#28 aadh

aadh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

the points costs are to high for the tie phantoim and the defender i mena thats crazy 25p as SKill 3 phantom and skill 1 defender 30 points thats more then untypical empire. making the phantom evade 2 ? lol that thing is ***** fast and agile why not evade 3 ? well iam kinda disapointed in these new tie`s -.- then giving rebels a lvl 8 pilot with points cost of 19 ? ( z 95 headhunter) it looks like we are changing roles from swarmpire to nonpire.

i really hope that these arent the final stats with point costs cause i want to fly atleast and evne buy 3 of each types but with that high costs il stick with 1 per tie. dont screw up the tie agressor and the other tie variants !!! thx k bye !"

I wouldn't worry about it.

Rebel— 12 X-Wing | 10 Y-Wing | 8 A-Wing | 8 B-Wing | 2 YT-1300 | 3 HWK-290 | 2 GR-75 | 1 CR-90 | 3 Z-95 | 3 E-Wing

Imperial— 18 TIE/ln | 18 TIE/in | 8 TIE/sa | 4 TIE/x1 | 3 Firespray-31 | 2 Lambda | 3 TIE Defender | 3 TIE Phantom

#29 aadh

aadh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.

Disney is trying to erase all things prequel right now.

FFG's "OT-only rights" is a myth that was busted, so you are wrong about that. Their cooperation with LFL gives them a pretty far reach. They've used stuff from the prequel trilogies already, in addition to multiple other video games and print sources.

Rebel— 12 X-Wing | 10 Y-Wing | 8 A-Wing | 8 B-Wing | 2 YT-1300 | 3 HWK-290 | 2 GR-75 | 1 CR-90 | 3 Z-95 | 3 E-Wing

Imperial— 18 TIE/ln | 18 TIE/in | 8 TIE/sa | 4 TIE/x1 | 3 Firespray-31 | 2 Lambda | 3 TIE Defender | 3 TIE Phantom

#30 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

... Also the number of people who will see Star Wars and push the buy button is much larger than the number of current players who will "pass" on "non-canon" ships.

Push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push.

#31 Stonedog

Stonedog

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:31 AM

I have been a SW obsessed kid since I saw SW:ANH at a drive-in with my parents in 1978 at the tender age of 3.....and then again with my mom and her friend from work (I actually remember this showing!)......

Now I am still a 38 year old SW obsessed fan.....

I think if the models are still looking as awesome as they are now....sales will not be an issue.....the mechanics are awesome and the game is FUN!

I think the addition of the EU ships could have draw more people into the EU material...

Edited by Stonedog, 09 February 2014 - 06:31 AM.

• SierraKiloBravo and Darthfish like this

#32 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

The bigger question is whether Disney will let FFG keep the license once it's up.

#33 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

I'm already seeing the line in the sand for some players. As this wave extends beyond what a casual fan knows(I.e. From the movies). Until the new movies from Disney come out, FFG has provided all the original ships from the classic movies. The well is dry for these ships minus repaints. The extended universe gives FFG an almost an unlimited life for this game. If a large enough people turn their nose up at this wave an all EU wave, it could hold a stop sign for future UE waves. This would push FFG in making wave after wave of repaints, of existing ships. If the game continues to sell like it is, hold on tight to your wallets. This will mean we all dive deep into the Extened Universe of Star Wars. I hope the few people drawing the line in sand will find value in these new ships and pick up a few. I would love to see this game go on for years and years.

All I know about Star Wars is from the six movies. Up until now I've not been interested in the X-Wing game. But I really like the E-Wings and find myself drawn towards taking an interest in the miniatures.

Could an interest in miniatures mean an interest in the game?

Perhaps.

• Osoroshii and Darthfish like this

#34 Jfitz1431

Jfitz1431

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

I'm already seeing the line in the sand for some players. As this wave extends beyond what a casual fan knows(I.e. From the movies). Until the new movies from Disney come out, FFG has provided all the original ships from the classic movies. The well is dry for these ships minus repaints. The extended universe gives FFG an almost an unlimited life for this game. If a large enough people turn their nose up at this wave an all EU wave, it could hold a stop sign for future UE waves. This would push FFG in making wave after wave of repaints, of existing ships. If the game continues to sell like it is, hold on tight to your wallets. This will mean we all dive deep into the Extened Universe of Star Wars. I hope the few people drawing the line in sand will find value in these new ships and pick up a few. I would love to see this game go on for years and years.

All I know about Star Wars is from the six movies. Up until now I've not been interested in the X-Wing game. But I really like the E-Wings and find myself drawn towards taking an interest in the miniatures.

Perhaps.

I know I picked this game up without knowing anything about it simply because it was Star Wars and the miniatures looked awesome. I had no prior miniature gaming experience. And even though this game is incredibly fun and exciting to play, if it wasn't Star Wars I wouldn't bother with it.
  • Digitalkiller likes this

#35 Firefighter34

Firefighter34

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

These ships are fantastic! It is going to be great for the game and we should all embrace them. As for your wallet, they committed to draining it when this game first went beyond their initial expectations and initial print runs! Not speaking to the ships themselves but to the fact they will exist, this brings more options to a game where  both the competitor and the casual player alike will find a lot of fun, and fun is the point really. Just depends on what is fun for you?

Big applause to FFG! The game is taking shape nicely and you are taking us ALL along for the ride!

Can't wait to have these ships

(PS: Call Battlefoam and get them making foam to hold all these! LOL)

• Osoroshii and ErrantKknight like this

#36 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Perhaps.

Run now, before you get sucked in!  Save your wallet!  Once you go down this path, there is no turning back...

Yes, you will get in for a cool mini, but you'll stay for the awesome overall experience.  This is truly a great game.

• Roy Stone likes this

#37 AgentV

AgentV

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

I couldn't even get my HWK's for a few months after they were released because my LGS didn't have enough to grant me my pre-order upon release. Maybe it will cut a little into their profits, but I can't see this having enough effect on their profits to stop the game. 

Also, it may be in their best interest to focus mostly on re-supplying the old stuff in the second half of 2014. Can't get new players into the game if you don't sell any more core sets.

#38 SierraKiloBravo

SierraKiloBravo

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

I have been a SW obsessed kid since I saw SW:ANH at a drive-in with my parents in 1978 at the tender age of 3.....and then again with my mom and her friend from work (I actually remember this showing!)......

Now I am still a 38 year old SW obsessed fan.....

I think if the models are still looking as awesome as they are now....sales will not be an issue.....the mechanics are awesome and the game is FUN!

I think the addition of the EU ships could have draw more people into the EU material...

This guy knows stuff about things and I wholeheartedly subscribe to this.

#39 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Perhaps.

Run now, before you get sucked in!  Save your wallet!  Once you go down this path, there is no turning back...

Yes, you will get in for a cool mini, but you'll stay for the awesome overall experience.  This is truly a great game.

If you're trying to put me off you're not doing a very good job.

#40 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.
Disney is trying to erase all things prequel right now.

Don't you mean Disney is trying to cash in on all things prequel right now? I'm pretty sure the license is much more than the trilogy, we already have several ships that nver appeared on screen in te original 3. Erase clone wars! Ha! You must not know many 8-12 year olds who grew up on it. Thems THEE target for Disney.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS