• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

I'm already seeing the line in the sand for some players. As this wave extends beyond what a casual fan knows(I.e. From the movies). Until the new movies from Disney come out, FFG has provided all the original ships from the classic movies. The well is dry for these ships minus repaints. The extended universe gives FFG an almost an unlimited life for this game. If a large enough people turn their nose up at this wave an all EU wave, it could hold a stop sign for future UE waves. This would push FFG in making wave after wave of repaints, of existing ships. If the game continues to sell like it is, hold on tight to your wallets. This will mean we all dive deep into the Extened Universe of Star Wars. I hope the few people drawing the line in sand will find value in these new ships and pick up a few. I would love to see this game go on for years and years.
  • executor, jasonkw, basilisk 51 and 1 other like this

#2 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

I really don't think that the base that refuses to get EU ships is large enough to dissuade them from future EU ships.

• DagobahDave, dojimaster, aadh and 2 others like this

#3 Breaking The Law

Breaking The Law

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

I think what it means is we get some awesome new ships come June 2015

• DagobahDave, dojimaster, Swedge and 5 others like this

#4 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I think it would be hard to get a sense of that from these forums. I believe most people here are more then casual players as they read the forums almost everyday. The casual player who grabs ships here and there will not have any reference to the EU ships. So it will depend on the visual of the ship. If it looks to strange, they will pass. If it looks cool , they buy one. This market will determine the future of this game.
  • rym likes this

#5 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

I think the brief shortage of the HWK shows that there is a good demand. Not entirely sure how bad the shortage was in the shipment, but it is a good sign that there is demand there, even if it isn't as much as the normal ships. I doubt FFG is expecting the EU ships to sell as well as the first 3 waves.

#6 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

Really though, is it viable, and would it be good for the game, to keep bringing out new ships? There are only so many meaningful differences you can have.

Anyway, there's more than EU ships to pick from - there are three pretty bad films with some pretty pretty ships in them!
  • DagobahDave, Filthy Pierre, PenguinBonaparte and 3 others like this

#7 mazz0

mazz0

• Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

I'm already seeing the line in the sand for some players. As this wave extends beyond what a casual fan knows(I.e. From the movies). Until the new movies from Disney come out, FFG has provided all the original ships from the classic movies. The well is dry for these ships minus repaints. The extended universe gives FFG an almost an unlimited life for this game. If a large enough people turn their nose up at this wave an all EU wave, it could hold a stop sign for future UE waves. This would push FFG in making wave after wave of repaints, of existing ships. If the game continues to sell like it is, hold on tight to your wallets. This will mean we all dive deep into the Extened Universe of Star Wars. I hope the few people drawing the line in sand will find value in these new ships and pick up a few. I would love to see this game go on for years and years.

Purists who dismiss EU ships on principle may also consider films other than the originals EU.
  • jasonkw likes this

#8 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

@ Osoroshii, Well, I'm not totally sure about all that. I certainly feel that if a player has investment in the EU then that can certainly fuel their desire to buy a ship. Flavor is a big part of appeal in this game certainly. Who knows what each player attached to? For me it was TIE Fighter as a kid that made me salivate at the prospect of this game, and it's the reason I don't Fly Rebel. Countless games have already scratched that niche for me. If I want to be Rebel, I have the Rogue Squadron games for that.

If a person has interest in this game, but not really in the ships… well then I imagine they'll do what my friend did with the HWK. Initially resist the idea, then look at what cards and pilots and whatnot come with it and assess its usefulness on those parameters. EU involvement may facilitate interest, but I doubt it will dictate it like you claim.

Now, for myself, I know that if they release prequal ships… I'll have no interest in those whatsoever. I imagine all the Republic ships would be "Rebels" (even though they're technically fledgling empire tech) because they're flavored as the hero faction, while anything else (like Trade Federation/Separatist ships) would be the villains. And to me those things are not Imperial ships… they're (abominations) not really what I got enjoyment out of growing up.

• ErrantKknight likes this

#9 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

FFG , please delve as deep into the EU as you want . I will buy 4 of everything. Hit me up with an IM and you can have my card number. :)
  • Osoroshii, SierraKiloBravo, Filthy Pierre and 8 others like this

#10 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

I think what it means is we get some awesome new ships come June 2015

Hell yeah it does! Who needs FFG to do repaints , do it yourself . Staring at a squad of green A wings right now.
  • oneway and Audio Weasel like this

#11 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

I suspect we'll get prequel waves after this one. Gives them time to get ships from the new movies without going too obscure. They have about 1-2 more waves of solid recognizable ships from EU but I bet we'll see prequel next as a lead up to the new films... Possibly with new "factions" to go with them.

#12 BattlePriest

BattlePriest

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

I don't mind prequel ships, and I definitely classify the "rebels" as Republic (or New Republic, or whatever Republic name they want to call themselves); besides, it was cannon that the Republic's tech diverged into Empire and New Republic ("rebel") techs.

#13 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

Purists who dismiss EU ships on principle may also consider films other than the originals EU.

Guilty.

#14 KaryudoDS

KaryudoDS

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

I don't mind prequel ships, and I definitely classify the "rebels" as Republic (or New Republic, or whatever Republic name they want to call themselves); besides, it was cannon that the Republic's tech diverged into Empire and New Republic ("rebel") techs.

I would still probably divide the game into era's at that point rather than shoehorn them into existing factions that don't directly apply. I could think of a few Republic ships I wouldn't mind seeing, but having them next to X-Wings or TIE's just doesn't seem right unless you knock down the faction wall. I don't see much need to do that.

• aadh, Imperial Rebel and Stelar 7 like this

#15 SoulCrusherEx

SoulCrusherEx

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

the points costs are to high for the tie phantoim and the defender i mena thats crazy 25p as SKill 3 phantom and skill 1 defender 30 points thats more then untypical empire. making the phantom evade 2 ? lol that thing is ***** fast and agile why not evade 3 ? well iam kinda disapointed in these new tie`s -.- then giving rebels a lvl 8 pilot with points cost of 19 ? ( z 95 headhunter) it looks like we are changing roles from swarmpire to nonpire.

i really hope that these arent the final stats with point costs cause i want to fly atleast and evne buy 3 of each types but with that high costs il stick with 1 per tie. dont screw up the tie agressor and the other tie variants !!! thx k bye !"

• BattlePriest likes this

Imperium: 7 Tie Fighter, 3 Tie Advanced, 12 Tie Interceptors (4 aces boxes included) 3 Tie Bomber and 3 fire sprays, 1 Tie Defender, 2 Tie Phantom, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 1 V49 Decimator
Rebels:  1 B-wing, 1 Z-95, 2 Hwk290,
Pirates: 3 Firesprays, 3 Y- Wings, 7 z-95, 2 HWK 290

#16 BattlePriest

BattlePriest

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I'm still going to only play exclusively empire, no matter the stats.

• That One Guy likes this

#17 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

I would love to see era specific stuff as long as there was viable mixing rules.

Also the number of people who will see Star Wars and push the buy button is much larger than the number of current players who will "pass" on "non-canon" ships.
  • Drakhan Valane likes this

#18 Suchibu

Suchibu

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.

Disney is trying to erase all things prequel right now.

#19 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

I think you mean that Disney is trying to erase all things EU. The movies (even the ones written after George Lucas was replaced by a talentless clone) are the only true canon.

#20 BattlePriest

BattlePriest

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

As long as we can keep Thrawn (without him being assassinated at the last minute during the most convenient time, aka still alive and giving the republic a challenge) and the Tie Defender, I'm ok with that. I'm half/half with Kir Kanos.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS