Making Custom Blue Wizards

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

With the recent Istari thread, I've been very interested in seeing how FFG would go about making the wizards into heroes. I was wondering though: How do you guys think the Blue Wizards should be made? I was thinking they could be kind of like Elladan and Elrohir, benefiting if their counterpart is present, but that seems too predictable. What abilities do you think they should have? Also, while we're talking about them, how do you think Radagast should look if he was ever made into a hero?  :huh:

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#2 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

They won't be made as heroes... so the point is mute.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#3 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Of course they won't... But it doesn't hurt to speculate!

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#4 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

There's so little known about the blue wizards, FFG could go almost any direction with their abilities (assuming they were ever able to make such cards). If I was going about making them, I'd probably focus on the fact that they were sent into the East to counter Sauron's influence over the people there. Maybe they could have an ability that could persuade an enemy to turn away from Sauron, helping clear the off the board in a way that was different from combat (perhaps a bonus if they have Harad or Easterling trait?).

• Karlson likes this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#5 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Untitled_1.jpgimage.jpg

Ok here you go.. this is my Version of a Gandalf Hero... it is double sided.

I wanted a way to represent the change in form of Gandalf.... This will be a theme when / if I do other wizards. Note the change in faction Icon as well as a change in traits. I also wanted his stats to be == to his ally counter parts.. other wise why would you not just use them. Still as they are so powerful the card has a huge weight on it. Still with cleaver deck building you can keep him around a long time. This was another goal of the card, to have it retain that "coming and going" feeling of the Ally version. I also didn't want the card to have the istar trait as that tutor card is to bonkers to have active for a entire game.

Edited by booored, 08 February 2014 - 08:56 PM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#6 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Nice idea, a two-side hero card.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#7 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Don't you collect resources during the Resource phase? Also, how does he pay to ready himself if he can't collect resources. Finally, I think dropping his HP to 1 after transformation was plenty of payment so he shouldn't have all of those downsides, especially since he should be more powerful after the transformation.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#8 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

Um.. I always apply resources in the refresh phase after I untap and adjust turn and threat counters... so the idea is that he can not gain resources though normal means. The phase is in fact at the end of the turn not the start of the turn, but off the top of my head I can not think anything this effects.

He can gain resources many ways... Parting Gifts, Theodred, Ziggy,  We Are not Idle, Hidden Cache, Bifur, Errand Rider, Ship Captain.

The idea is to promote interesting decks. The problem I see in most custom card sis that they are crazy powerful. He is PLENTY powerful as is. Maybe buffing his 2nd form from 1 to 2 health would be fine. Still I wanted to keep the "fleeting" come and go feeling of the other Gandalf cards.. he is not supposed to stay. In fact he is meant to die.... you know a way to force that idea and also buff it a little but not reduce the deck designs.. could possibly be a threat reduction on death... maybe -8. (1/2 total threat)

Not sure I agree he is more powerful in white form...

Edited by booored, 08 February 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#9 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

I still prefer the Lore one... (also edited the old Lore one to fix the wording on the resource thing)

Gecko_TH_LOTR_Hero_Card_Template_v2_1_Re

Edited by booored, 08 February 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#10 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I still prefer the Lore one... (also edited the old Lore one to fix the wording on the resource thing)

Gecko_TH_LOTR_Hero_Card_Template_v2_1_Re

Thought no one cared about custom cards...

#11 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

I don't, not to play with.. Doesn't mean I do not like to join in with people on the forums games. Isn't this the point of this thread to make custom Wizard cards?

I do like custom quests though.. if they are done well. That is a different story.

It is just that the game balance of player cards is very fragile, with new cards coming and all the rules and armatures often making them to powerful.. that they seam a bit of a waste of time. I'm not interested in playing with these unbalanced non-official cards in my decks.

#12 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

I liked the idea that if you have Gandalf as your hero, that is the only hero you can control. That way he can still have powerful abilities because having only one hero greatly reduces your chance of success. I made him Spirit. Haven't tried out he one I made yet, though.

Edited by legolas18, 08 February 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#13 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

Um.. I always apply resources in the refresh phase after I untap and adjust turn and threat counters... so the idea is that he can not gain resources though normal means. The phase is in fact at the end of the turn not the start of the turn, but off the top of my head I can not think anything this effects.

He can gain resources many ways... Parting Gifts, Theodred, Ziggy,  We Are not Idle, Hidden Cache, Bifur, Errand Rider, Ship Captain.

FAQ 1.25

Collecting resources refers to both collecting resources during the resource phase and gaining resources through other card effects. An effect that prevents a hero from collecting resources prevents both methods of acquiring new resources.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you would have to phrase it as "Gandalf, The White does not collect resources during the resource phase" for it to work as you express it.

Also text on Bifur does not allow you to add resources to other heroes:
Action: Pay 1 resource from a hero's resource pool to add 1 resource to Bifur's resource pool. Any player may trigger this ability. (Limit once per round.)

EDIT: and Gandalf isn´t one of the blue wizards. But I guess that is more nitpicking :P

Edited by Nerdmeister, 10 February 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#14 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

yeah Bifur was a mistake.. but the card works fine. regardless of such nitpicking. I mean I only knocked the card up in 5 mins, wasn't like I sat there and proof read it for ages. The POINT is for you lazy ass critics to make your own cards.

The original text I had was that he couldn't collect in the resource phase btw.. but joez made me change it

#15 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

yeah Bifur was a mistake.. but the card works fine. regardless of such nitpicking. I mean I only knocked the card up in 5 mins, wasn't like I sat there and proof read it for ages. The POINT is for you lazy ass critics to make your own cards.

The original text I had was that he couldn't collect in the resource phase btw.. but joez made me change it

The original text said "Refresh" phase, not "resource", phase which is why I told you it was wrong. I didn't say to remove the stipulation about the phase.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#16 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Well, I know he's not one of the Blue Wizards... That was the original theme of this thread, but Gandalf's okay too. :)

#17 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

gandalf isn't a wizard?

#18 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Yes, he is, but he is not BLUE wizard. Blue wizards are Allatar and Palandó.

#19 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

i do not know what a blue wizard is then or who they are.

#20 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

Well, I know he's not one of the Blue Wizards... That was the original theme of this thread

hehe. ok.. I looked them up and made 2 for them as well

Blue.jpgBlue.jpg

Hmm.. looking at the tactic guy.. probably want it to attack the player that controls the attached ally... oh well.

Edited by booored, 13 February 2014 - 02:42 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS