Group Resources

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Talley Darkstar

Talley Darkstar

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm curious as to how GMs plan to use Group Resources between the games?  In my group we'd have a EotE ship and Base of Operations.  4 of the players are EotE characters, while 2 are AoR beta characters.  And then once FaD gets released and their group resources, that'll put the total to 3.

We walk the line between life and death.  Endure the pain of choices we have to make and survive the battle to take back our lives.  We are soldiers and we will fight.

http://steamcommunit...talley_darkstar

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

I'd just integrate them.  There was the Falcon.  Then the Falcon and a secret base.  Then the Falcon, a fleet, undercover ships, commando NPC teams, etc.  Seems like a fairly reasonable Hansel and Gretel trail of goodies in theme to me. 

• polyheadronman likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 polyheadronman

polyheadronman

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

I really look forward to integrating Obligation/Duty/...Destiny?  Oooo, wonder what the third one is...

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

#4 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

It'd probably be pretty easy to integrate them.

Heck, the GM section of EotE even talks about using the PCs' ship in that game as a mobile base of operations, being their home and safe haven in between adventures.  Wouldn't take much to extrapolate that into an Age of Rebellion game.

Heck, with the Duty mechanic, it'd be really easy for a party of Rebels to get a light freighter of their own as an Alliance Asset upon hitting their first Contribution Rank, since a ship like the YT-1300 is only Rarity 4, and the Alliance Asset is any item or vehicle of Rarity (3+Contribution Rank) or less.

I think I mentioned this as being an option back when the AoR Beta book came out, that a party could very easily start with a "base of operations" in a specific planet at the onset of the campaign, and eventually branch out and venture to other systems to fight the good fight once they're combined Duty reached 100; something that's a bit easier with the revisions to Duty in the Weekly Updates, particularly if none of the party reduces their starting Duty.  And if using the Base of Operations with the extra starting credits, that resolves one of the major reasons most PCs would reduce their starting Duty in the first place, simply to get more money for decent gear.  So a party of 5 Rebels would have a base Duty of 50, and if each of them earns an average of 2 Duty per session, it'd take about six sessions for the group to be able to procure a light transport as their Alliance Asset.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#5 Talley Darkstar

Talley Darkstar

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

It would be easy to integrate them.

I'm just a little more curious as to each group picking something on their own and the group as a whole becoming a bit more powerful than they would be.  Like my group.  Base of Operations+Ship+ as an example, a small Jedi archives for example.  They got a ship to run around the galaxy with, and a base to go home to, as well as a small archive of research material that gives say 2 Boost Dice to Lore rolls or some such.  To me, that makes the PC's a little to powerful to start their adventuring careers with.  Or, if F&D the players can have a ship to travel around on, you're looking at 1 EotE ship, Lambda class shuttle, as well as some random ship F&D characters can choose.  As we've seen, on the forums a lot of people still play with a d20 mindset.

As a GM, 83% of my players would do something like that, not because of their d20 mindset, as I've been slowly showing most them the benefits of a skill based system rather than a level based system, but because the easiest way for them to avoid an object is to blow it up.  As a player, one of my group took like 100,000 nuyen in small explosives (grenades, plastic explosives, trip mines, etc) in our Shadowrun game.  

As a player, that goes down to an 66.6% (repeating), as my first experience with RPGs is a skill based system vs a level based system.  My comrade in arms and I for AoR, chose the Base of Operations as that fit better with my, idea of a squad, than having the Lambda Shuttle or squad of Y-Wings.

I asked a member of the group, if they were in a garbage compactor situation and they saw an alien language on one of the walls, how would they get out, he said, blow up the wall.  Little did the player know that the alien language said, press here to exit.

One of my thoughts is, going off the Duty/Obligation/Who knows roll.  Whoever's (I really wish there was a mechanical name for that system as a whole, rather than individual names) triggers, that/those are available during game play.  Or, if there's 2 AoR, 3 EotE and 2 F&D, the system with the most players has theirs and the other resources aren't available.  Or some other way to limit the group going to crazy.

Edited by Talley Darkstar, 11 February 2014 - 07:27 PM.

We walk the line between life and death.  Endure the pain of choices we have to make and survive the battle to take back our lives.  We are soldiers and we will fight.

http://steamcommunit...talley_darkstar

#6 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

It's "Just pick one"-  

A YT-1300, the medium freighter option, a flight of Y-wings, or a base.

#7 thorn-124

thorn-124

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

hello. when do you think that a pdf AOR character sheet is going to be posted? 

#8 Gravis

Gravis

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Yeah, I can definitely see some issues arising between the three games, especially when things that happen at a group level come up (obligation/duty/resources/etc.).  Until there is further guidance, it is going to take some savvy work from the GM to make everything mesh, and be balanced.

Personally, I would limit the group to only one group resource at the onset of a campaign, and between you and the players you can decide what fits the best.

When you are combining these two games together though, you need to take a special look at where exactly your campaign is going and how you are going to mix the two together.  Even though you have AoR characters, the Rebellion probably isn't going to be giving you mission resources to go do the Jewel of Yavin heist, and those AoR characters are unlikely to get much duty (if any) for completing it.

Concequently, your EotE characters are unlikely to reduce their obligations by undertaking a Rebellion sponsored raid against the Empire, and may even have their obligation come up as a hinderance to the AoR characters accomplishment of their mission.

Not to say, of course, that you can't balance everything out and make it work, just that you need to put some thought into it.  In the movies, afterall, Han, Chewie, and Lando are very EotE characters, and Luke and Leia are very AoR characters.  Rescuing Han from Jabba is a good example of an EotE type adventure, using characters from both.  The battle of Endor is a very AoR type adventure, using characters from both.

#9 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, I can definitely see some issues arising between the three games, especially when things that happen at a group level come up (obligation/duty/resources/etc.).  Until there is further guidance, it is going to take some savvy work from the GM to make everything mesh, and be balanced.

Actually, not as many as you might think.

As part of the AoR Beta Weekly Updates, FFG added a section discussing how to use Duty and Obligation in the same game, as well as the option to use one or the other.

Since they affect different thresholds, you could very easily have PCs with a Duty and/or an Obligation in the same group.  After all, Han and Chewie certainly started with Obligations, and Luke and Leia each had a Duty (though Luke's PC likely traded his down to zero for more starting XP to cover the costs of being a Force-sensitive at the game's start).

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS