Warning: May cause loss of limb.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Quoth

Quoth

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

I like the idea of threatening a partys life AND limb, but most limb loss occurs moments before death by critical damage.

I think this misses out on some fun. So does anyone have any house ruling on how to threaten limbs without outright killing party members?

#2 Pixels The Red

Pixels The Red

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

Well I often have damage bypass wounds in certain circumstances, like when the character is incapacitated. And I tend to track critical damage separately for each body part, so an example would be a character having to reach their arm deep into some mechanism to proceed, and failure would result in the mechanism collapsing around their arm for 1d10 + 2 critical damage, mitigated by toughness, of course.

#3 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

I don't currently have any house rules on the subject, but I do agree that it's very difficult to lose limbs without dying in Dark Heresy. In fact, the option to lose limbs doesn't even exist in most RPGs. As many war veterans in both fiction and real life lost a limb from their injuries in battle, I feel that this should be corrected.

When players burn Fate to survive, you could rule that they lose the limb that was struck by the lethal attack. This would be a lethal injury for "normal" people, but the Acolytes are anything but normal. If they are hit in the head, make them lose an eye or go deaf rather than losing their whole head :)

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#4 Quoth

Quoth

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Aaah now theres an idea! I like that =D

Sadly the only fate point burnt so far was for one of my players to recover from an epicly failed fear test. I guess that could be a permanent loss of bladder control?

#5 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Sadly the only fate point burnt so far was for one of my players to recover from an epicly failed fear test. I guess that could be a permanent loss of bladder control?

How do you burn a fatepoint to recover from fear? I thought the only way to BURN fatepoints was to use them as your extra lives.

#6 Quoth

Quoth

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Because if he didnt burn it there and then, the Flamer of Tzeench was going to take out the last remaining guy would was in critical wounds and the dude who burnt the fate point was rendered catatonic for 5 hours. Seemd a fair use of 'use it to avoid dying'

#7 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

You're attempting to punish your players for rerolling a Fear check, instead of taking the failure and ending the game in a TPK. Not the same as burning Fate to survive an injury.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#8 Quoth

Quoth

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Attempting to punish a party for not suffering a TPK? Interesting....

#9 InquisitorAlexel

InquisitorAlexel

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

My way of making critical damage is the following. Characters can't go anymore under the 0 wounds. When they reach 0, they die. But when they suffer wounds (after damage reduction of all types),compare it to their toughness bonus: any wounds lost in excedent of the toughness bonus is also critical damage.

An example: Jonas, guardsman (T30 + guard carapace armour all 4, 15 wounds) suffer a lasgun hit of 10 damages. He suffers 3 wounds, after reductions, which is the same amount as his toughness bonus, so no critical.

Then, he suffers another lasrifle wound; doing 16 damage. He loses 9 wounds, which are 6 in excess to his toughness bonus, so he suffers 6 critical damage.

It makes character not losing limbs with low rate damage, but make them also losing parts when being hit by a strong attack, while not necessarily dying.

#10 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

In general in the real world losing a limb means that the grim reaper is not far off.

#11 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

Loss of a limb doesn`t nessecarily mean its torn off there and then just that it is useless. A broken broken hip, shoulder, knee or similar would all acheive this effect without having to pose much risk of being fatal.

For example a nervous injury that paralyses an arm from the shoulder down. A character might get the arm amputated and replaced with a bionic down the line but it`s loss didn`t endanger their life imminently.

A quick house rule I often use for NPCs is that if a single hit (after reductions) inflicts an amount of damage equal to a half of their total wounds then the limb is crippled. In the event of this happening to the head they die and in the chest they pass out.  Some variation of that might be good.

Edited by Askil, 14 February 2014 - 04:31 AM.

#12 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

If death is averted by fatepoint, I usually see this as an excuse to take some limbs ;)

The arm is gone, but somehow you still managed to survive what would have killed lesser Acolytes. Congratulations! 

Now better start saving/requisitioning those bionics!

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#13 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

If you really wanted to, you could just adopt the BC/OW Righteous Fury mechanic and make the Crit roll d8 rather than d5. People will start losing body parts quickly.

#14 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Increased chance for limb loss or other permanent injuries is a (welcome) side effect for my suggestion of using the wound mechanic from GW's Inquisitor game. It's fairly easy to adapt into Dark Heresy, considering that it uses the same stats and the same types of dice. :)

Cornerstones of this alternate mechanic:

- Toughness Bonus no longer negates any damage. Any damage incurred after Armour goes directly into Wounds.
- Damage going into Criticals is divided by the character's TB, then rounded up.

Projected effects:

- Characters are notably easier to get injured
- ..however, once injured, they would stay alive longer than in the current system ("TB buffer" = increased gap between Critical levels)
- ..resulting in lasting effects from combat, including but not limited to lost limbs

• Simsum and Brother Orpheo like this
current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS