• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:17 AM

So, got back from my league night. I took a new experimental list. The list is a bit... troll...ish...

Outer Rim Smuggler (27)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Navigator (3)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Outer Rim Smuggler (27)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Navigator (3)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Total: 100

Now, Outer Rim Smugglers get a bad rap. With 2 attack dice, only 4 shields and 6 hull, they are certainly less impressive than their named brethren. I noticed, however, that they can take an interesting combination. APL + Intel Agent + Navigator. Here's how it works:

When activation phase begins, each ORS selects an enemy craft in range 1-2 and looks at its dial. Navigator then allows the ORS to change the speed of any maneuver they select. Since they are PS1, they move before the vast majority of enemy craft. So this change in speed can potentially put them in the way of their hapless victim. At which time an attack die is rolled. On a HIT or CRIT, they take a damage. All this for 33 points.

I thought about taking 3, but I only had 2 YT-1300s (foam slot limitations... don't judge me). But 34 points is exactly 2 PS1 A-Wings. ... Excellent.

The first match was against:

Captain Jonus + Squad Leader

Gamma Squadron + Cluster + Proton Torpedoes

Gamma Squadron + Cluster + Concussion Missiles

2x Academy Pilot

As expected, the list quickly dropped one ORS with an alpha strike. However, as the ships began running into my large, clumsy ships, they were unable to concentrate fire on my second ORS. As both Academy TIEs fell to concentrated fire, he began concentrating on my A-Wings. In one round, he attacked a single A-Wing (with focus) with four ships, three at range 1. All attacks had at least two hits (including one with 2 crits). The A-Wing dodged all of it without spending the focus. He was eventually able to take out the A-Wing, but it was too late. My remaining ORS and A-Wing hunted down each of his bombers to wreak revenge.

The second match was against:

3x Obsidian Squadron

Tempest Squadron

Maarek Steele + Marksmanship

This was my first time facing the ellusive Maarek Steele. He attempted to concentrate fire, but the ORS was just too clumsy, causing him to crash into them repeatedly, doing fistfuls of damage over the course of the game. He was able to take out one ORS, but he just could not escape me as I was able to predict his moves and jam up his flight paths repeatedly. I did get to see Maarek's ability used for the first time, gaining a Direct Hit (of course) because of it.

Third Match was against:

Prototype Pilot

Rookie Pilot

Garven Dreis

Kyle Katarn + Blaster Turret + Recon + Moldy Crow + Shield Upgrade

He had initiative, which caused a couple issues. I attempted to 4 K-Turn into initial combat, but was blocked. Still, this worked out as I had both ORS clogging the center of the map in the asteroids. I was able to do a lot of damage early, but spread out across his forces. I placed the HWK and Garven in a bad position, forcing them to hit the ORS repeatedly. The Anti-Pursuit Lasers earned their pay this day. Still, he was able to take out one A-Wing before his first ship fell, Garven. Shortly thereafter the rest of his fleet fell. He did a lot of damage. In the end, I only lost the one A-Wing but every other ship only had a single hull left. Very close.

Fourth Match was against:

Han + Marksmanship + Gunner + Chewy

2 Rookie Pilots

The classic Han Shoots First list. I setup one A-Wing to the far left, then the rest spread across the middle. He setup to the far right. I swung the ORS up through the middle, one turning up and the other turning right. This meant that I entirely clogged his flght paths. All three craft crashed into the ORS, though one backed up passed the X-Wing. This caused him to not have shots with his X-Wings for several rounds, plus taking a couple damage. As the A-Wings began their assault on Han and the X-Wings and with an ORS blocking heavily, there was little they could do. He managed to eliminate one ORS, but by then it was too late. Both X-Wings had fallen and Han quickly collapsed under the weight of fire.

This list was far, far more successful than I expected it to be. It helps that I can thread a needle when piloting though an asteroid field and frequently surprise opponents with where I can place my craft. Twice I missed an asteroid by less than a millimeter, to the chagrin of my opponent. To be fair, some of that is luck, but I have a reputation for hugging, nuzzling and cuddling asteroids without actually touching them. I didn't expect to go 4-0 with this list. Granted, two of my opponents were relatively new, but two were quite capable fliers.

I believe the problem with fighting this list is that it flies so differently from other lists. I don't have to worry about firing arc with two craft. I'm actively trying to bump and they are large bases so they are capable at that task. Seeing dials and actively fowling the is a brutal tactic and one my opponents were slow to adapt to.

• SolennelBern, oneway, Audio Weasel and 2 others like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#2 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

I really want to do a ORS with anti-pursuit lasers someday, unfortunately I still have yet to buy a shuttle to get them....

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 1 Defender, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays

SCUM: TBD

#3 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Always good to see the A wing wing !

#4 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

I guess there is an added bonus here in that looking at your opponent's dials also enable you to make smarter BOOST decisions with the A-Wings.

Your "bump" strategy must have REALLY fun against Kyle.  Maybe he built up a few Focus tokens before getting engaged but after that I figure you would stay in his way so badly that he never got to Focus again which makes him nearly useless.

• oneway likes this

#5 bolitho

bolitho

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

I think that this list is probably more effective than his Kath Scarlet list.  For action denial it's just brutal.

#6 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

I think that this list is probably more effective than his Kath Scarlet list.  For action denial it's just brutal.

I win more soundly with Scarlet Cowgirl. This list is certainly more frustrating for my opponents though. :)

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#7 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

Wow this combo look so fun!

Using the ORS as annoying blockers and Anti-Puisuiting the faces of the enemy...I really like your way of thinking sir! :)

Do you think a sinlge ORS would do the trick?  I only have one and don't plan on buying a second...and less likely to buy a second Shuttle just for a second Anti-Pursuit laser...

So 1 ORS backed by a nice 3 ship crew...i'll have to try it someday!

I might try that for the kicks:

blank.gif?v53Outer Rim Smuggler + Navigator + Intelligence Agent + Anti-Pursuit Lasers (33)
blank.gif?v53Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire-Control System + Heavy Laser Cannon (31)
blank.gif?v53Prototype Pilot (17)
blank.gif?v53Roark Garnet (19)

Roark to boost the PS of the Blue so it can fire sooner.  A-Wing as a flanker and ORS doing his shiznitz!!!!

Edited by SolennelBern, 11 February 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#8 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Wow this combo look so fun!

Using the ORS as annoying blockers and Anti-Puisuiting the faces of the enemy...I really like your way of thinking sir! :)

Do you think a sinlge ORS would do the trick?  I only have one and don't plan on buying a second...and less likely to buy a second Shuttle just for a second Anti-Pursuit laser...

So 1 ORS backed by a nice 3 ship crew...i'll have to try it someday!

I might try that for the kicks:

blank.gif?v53Outer Rim Smuggler + Navigator + Intelligence Agent + Anti-Pursuit Lasers (33)
blank.gif?v53Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire-Control System + Heavy Laser Cannon (31)
blank.gif?v53Roark Garnet (19)

Roark to boost the PS of the Blue so it can fire sooner.  A-Wing as a flanker and ORS doing his shiznitz!!!!

You know, if you want to shoot sooner with the Blue, it's cheaper to increase to Ten Numb than it is to have a largely useless Roark hanging around. Afterall, without a turret, his main attack is 1 die. And he maneuvers poorly.

One ORS can work, though it is harder to clog all escape venues with one. Still, if that's all you have, consider this:

Outer Rim Smuggler (27)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Navigator (3)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Advanced Sensors (3)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Total: 100

This way you have the massive blocker. You have two Rookie Pilots, which are quite sound craft, capable of dealing significant damage. And you have a B-Wing with advanced sensors to dance around in combat.

• SolennelBern and Johdo like this

#9 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

I knew i needed a second shuttle...but now to need a second Millenium Falcon?!?!?!  Damn you Sable!

Seriously, this looks fun.  I enjoy that style where sometimes messing with my opponent is more satisfying then just blowing them up outright.

• SableGryphon likes this

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#10 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Sable, great idea.  I always struggle in squad building mainly due to the fact that I don't squad build enough lol.

What I like to see is squads like yours that are a bit more unique than most of the sqauds we see around the interwebs.  It's refreshing and inspiring.

Thanks again!

• SableGryphon likes this

#11 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Sable, great idea.  I always struggle in squad building mainly due to the fact that I don't squad build enough lol.

What I like to see is squads like yours that are a bit more unique than most of the sqauds we see around the interwebs.  It's refreshing and inspiring.

Thanks again!

Thank you. I always try to do something a little bit different and play with things that most ignore. It helps when my opponents don't quite know what to expect. :)

• The_Brown_Bomber likes this

#12 Slimjim

Slimjim

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

http://community.fan...tle-conga-line/

Kind of a imp twist
Steve Coulterman,
Quebec City, QC, Canada
Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE/Advanced, 3 TIE/Interceptor, 1 TIE/Bomber, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda-Class Shuttle
Rebel Scum: 2 X-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 YT-1300

#13 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Might try this one thursday against a friend that's just starting:

blank.gif?v53Outer Rim Smuggler + Navigator + Intelligence Agent + Millennium Falcon + Anti-Pursuit Lasers (34)
blank.gif?v53Ibtisam + Advanced Sensors (31)

Sable, it's a bit derived from your squad and your idea of an ORS intentionally bumping and dealing damage is really cool.  Opens up a new way to play and will GREATLY complement my piloting clumsiness lol

#14 bolitho

bolitho

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

I win more soundly with Scarlet Cowgirl. This list is certainly more frustrating for my opponents though. :)

I suspect though that this list will be more reliable in it's wins. Remember you win more soundly with red cow but there's a big difference in firepower too.

#15 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Might try this one thursday against a friend that's just starting:

blank.gif?v53Outer Rim Smuggler + Navigator + Intelligence Agent + Millennium Falcon + Anti-Pursuit Lasers (34)
blank.gif?v53Ibtisam + Advanced Sensors (31)

Sable, it's a bit derived from your squad and your idea of an ORS intentionally bumping and dealing damage is really cool.  Opens up a new way to play and will GREATLY complement my piloting clumsiness lol

This looks pretty solid. I was regularly wishing for Evade as my action, as I usually ended up using Focus. Still, I'm curious to hear how it goes for you. :)

• SolennelBern likes this

#16 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

I'll do my best to remember to post a quick session report to you Sable.

I just bought a second A-Wing this afternoon for this squad test and for a second PTL which is never a waste.

#17 dogred

dogred

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

Any one thought about using (Pirate Fleet)

ORS
Intelligence Agent
Navigator
Anti-Pursuit Lasers

OGP

Intelligence Agent
Navigator
Anti-Pursuit Lasers

BH

Anti-Pursuit Lasers

Ion Cannon

98 pts or you could use Auto blaster for an even 100 pts.

Edited by dogred, 12 February 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#18 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

Any one thought about using (Pirate Fleet)

ORS
Intelligence Agent
Navigator
Anti-Pursuit Lasers

OGP

Intelligence Agent
Navigator
Anti-Pursuit Lasers

BH

Anti-Pursuit Lasers

Ion Cannon

98 pts or you could use Auto blaster for an even 100 pts.

I doubt it, given that "Pirate Fleet" is not a faction in X-Wing (yet).  Allowing you to take both sides ships is a bad idea imo.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#19 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

I doubt it, given that "Pirate Fleet" is not a faction in X-Wing (yet).  Allowing you to take both sides ships is a bad idea imo.

He's talking about the Pirate Tournament style. You may take ships from both sides, but no named pilots or unique cards and you can have only one of any given ship type. The restrictions rule out a number of issues for faction restriction removal. I hear they can be pretty fun.

As for the list itself, I'm not sure it's a good one. The shuttle will be dead weight after the initial engagement without Engine Upgrade. I would probably do:

ORS + Intel Agent + Navigator + APL

Bounty Hunter + APL

OGP + Gunner + FCS + Engine Upgrade

The ORS and BH are good enough blockers and then the albino space gembok can slowly move in, mauling everything that smashed into the rest of your ships.

#20 Jfitz1431

Jfitz1431

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Your list was really fun to play against Sable. Kept me guessing the whole time. I have never had that tough of a matchup with my Bomber squad. I've handled bloody daggers, and all other manner of lists with my Bomber squad but this one gave my squad the most trouble for sure. From the initial planning phase I was just thinking "I don't know what to expect and I'm not even sure how to fly against this!!" 

Would love to play against it again! 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS