Photo

Not a rules question per se, but I need general opinions (Psyker Powers)

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

OK, so definitely not worth it for any of the powers I have selected. But later on, when the PT is something like 14, that could be rather useful.

#42 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

Aye, and then there's Corpus Conversion, for those times when you REALLY need something to work :)

• ColArana likes this

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#43 doomande

doomande

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

I do know that this is a little late, but spasm is golden. Not only do you get people to fall flat on their asses, no you make them shoot their friends (if used properly) as well! That is one "free" attack and a half turn that the person have to use next round to get up, then adding the overbleed that makes it able to target multible at the same time and Bob are your oncle.

Do note that spasm is especially golden when fighting against people with flamers and other templates. Beside that, are there anything more satisfying that setting 10 mad priest aflame when they are running at you with hand flamers? I think not!

A little note and fixer to what all say about Weapon Jinx, sorry guys but it does not jam all weapons. Either can you cast it without a willpower chek (or a failed one) that will make all weapons "to cease to function for 1 round", or you can make your check and make a single weapon jam (or multible if you are lucky with your overbleed)

One forgotten pearl would after my opinion be Déjà vu, or was a pearl if it is allowed to be used after my old GMs interpertation. With that rule could you get people to run out of cover, them thinking that they have to run forward and then out of cover. Sure this is up for some interpatation and does not work each and every time, but a power with threshold 8 that can force people out into the open, ohh yes please!

That was for the good powers, one of the worst and least used one that I have ever had is wither... Seriously, there is next to no nature in 40K, and so damn few creatures that it can be used on. Sure it is good when you have to make a campsite in a jungle or something like that... but then could you also just search a bit around and find an open place.

• pearldrum1 likes this

Sure some say blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne... I say muffins for the muffin god! Derp for the master derper!

#44 doomande

doomande

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Aye, and then there's Corpus Conversion, for those times when you REALLY need something to work :)

Sure it was like that in the good old days, but now with the errata is it not 2 temporery hitpoints you have to give away for the boost, but one permenet point of Toughness  :(  That is, if the group are playing with the errata

Sure some say blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne... I say muffins for the muffin god! Derp for the master derper!

#45 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

According to the errated version, there are TWO important parts you are not getting.

Any one weapon within range that is not in the primitive weapon category instantly jams

Overbleed: For every 5 points by which you exceed the Threshold, you extend the Range of this power by 10 metres, or you can affect an additional weapon.

It may be just me, but these two things combine to make it a pretty darn powerful power. While spasm is worth picking up, nothing can shut down an attack like a psyker using weapon jinx.

Spasm:

-Affects 1 target
-Requires a contested willpower test
-has a chance of friendly fire
-only requires them to make a stand (1/2 Action) to be back to normal

-has a limited rang

Weapon Jinx:

-Affects 1+ target
-Works if you pass
-Only friendly fire is being in an explosive blast radius
-requires a full action AND passing (on average) a 30% test or that weapon is not in use

-range can be increased if needed

The only advantage spasm has is for creatures that don't have "guns" and even then, it is limited.

• doomande and pearldrum1 like this

#46 doomande

doomande

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

I must admit that it is ages since I have used weapon jinx, and when I actually was able to use it was it in a RT setting where it was more worth to get the bad guys to shoot their mega weapons of doom at themselves and score some easy kills instead of taking their weapons out.

I can see that I still have a lot to lean from the errata and the new ways some of the psychic powers work, and that I properly shouldn´t fear taking all our weapons out for a single round if I fail my willpower check using this power. Both my old GM and I read it for some reason as if all weapons then jammed... but there is no other than myself to blame for misreading a rule.

So thanks for this little detailed explanation... and excuse me as I now have to write a new power up on my wishlist

#47 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

No worries, if it was written as in the book, it wouldn't be a great power, messing up your gear and tech, then needing to roll WP to make sure it sticks.

The DH/IH Erratta is a must read, it changes a lot of game things.

• pearldrum1 likes this

#48 Nath0610

Nath0610

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

My biggest issue with Weapon Jinx is that we always have a tech priest in our group :(
So if I use it, he shoots me in the head for tech heresy....
Knack and Lucky are absolutely amazing powers for just about everything, combined they allow a psyker 40 - 50% chance to pass any test with a free reroll, which can be rerolled again with fate. They are my favorite powers, as I find most groups go combat heavy already.
Anyways just my two cents :P

#49 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

He can't shoot you if you Weapon Jinx his gun :D

• Cymbel, pearldrum1 and Nath0610 like this

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#50 Olifant

Olifant

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Fun fact, in future expansions, no character is allowed to have any stat-line above 45 in character creation. Even with background packages. Of course you can always house rule things, (as I encourage players to bring up new ideas) but what I read of your stat line and build thus far is actually really exciting. If one of my players/friends came up to me with this, I would be elated. Because those background packages are heavily built for roleplay and creating enemies and just giving tools for the DM to kill, main, or sabotage the party and in particular the player.

But if this is your first time playing DH and first character, I would highly discourage it, because if you took the combinations, you've pretty much stamped a death sentence on your character. Psyker also do not make friendly new characters. Lots of rules, lots of exceptions, and a LOT of roleplaying of how others treat you. Usually with hostility.

That being said, I've run a couple games of DH and have all the expansions. I must say, a starting psyker with willpower 50, I wouldn't allow. The biggest reason, is I find power min-max characters to be often distracting and not fun to roleplay with. The user usually builds them to abuse the rules and makes things more difficult for the GM to try and balance out situations for the party. More specifically, I never use nerf bats on characters, even if it does screw things up. But I have found when it comes to psykers, the want becomes greater as the character progresses. 

I deal with these characters is a truly fair fashion and I warn them; If you build your character like this, where you ignore the background packages and all the other options you took to give you these huge boosts. I will violently introduce them into the campaign.

Just a little heads up. 

#51 Nath0610

Nath0610

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

He can't shoot you if you Weapon Jinx his gun :D

True that :P lol
But in all seriousness I try to avoid it as inner party conflict causes real issues to enjoyment.

#52 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:51 AM

Fun fact, in future expansions, no character is allowed to have any stat-line above 45 in character creation. Even with background packages. Of course you can always house rule things, (as I encourage players to bring up new ideas) but what I read of your stat line and build thus far is actually really exciting. If one of my players/friends came up to me with this, I would be elated. Because those background packages are heavily built for roleplay and creating enemies and just giving tools for the DM to kill, main, or sabotage the party and in particular the player.

But if this is your first time playing DH and first character, I would highly discourage it, because if you took the combinations, you've pretty much stamped a death sentence on your character. Psyker also do not make friendly new characters. Lots of rules, lots of exceptions, and a LOT of roleplaying of how others treat you. Usually with hostility.

That being said, I've run a couple games of DH and have all the expansions. I must say, a starting psyker with willpower 50, I wouldn't allow. The biggest reason, is I find power min-max characters to be often distracting and not fun to roleplay with. The user usually builds them to abuse the rules and makes things more difficult for the GM to try and balance out situations for the party. More specifically, I never use nerf bats on characters, even if it does screw things up. But I have found when it comes to psykers, the want becomes greater as the character progresses. 

I deal with these characters is a truly fair fashion and I warn them; If you build your character like this, where you ignore the background packages and all the other options you took to give you these huge boosts. I will violently introduce them into the campaign.

Just a little heads up. 

Cool story.

I was not min-maxing. This is how the roll of the dice and my decisions when it came to spending XP went. Since it is PbP, my roleplaying abilities are way above par. The GM, however, decided to kill the game before it even got off the ground by just never updating and falling off the map. I put this way higher in my douchebag meter than min-maxing, which I also despise.

Also, with that soap box post you think you could have actually contributed to the main point of this thread. No? Nothing? Outstanding.

• Tenebrae likes this

#53 Olifant

Olifant

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

...? I am confused. Maybe I misunderstood the thread topic name.

#54 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

...? I am confused. Maybe I misunderstood the thread topic name.

Maybe. The thread is asking about minor psychic powers that people have had success with or powers that people have had very little success with.

What I wanted to know, since it was my first time playing a psyker in Dark Heresy was how people had used their minor psychic powers to various effects.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS