Wave 4 meta?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

So are we going to see swarms of Z"s face off against swarms of Ties? Will quality finally trump quantity? What do you all think?

#2 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Frankly, this wave is introducing an entirely new metagame. Up is down and left is fish. Expect to see loads of experimentation for a while.

• smokingmonkee, mazz0 and Johdo like this

#3 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

While they will be attempted I don't know that Z-95 swarms will be what T/F swarms are unless there are some major support options in there.  The Z-95 probably isn't as maneuverable as the T/F and while it does have two shields protecting two hull points it only has 2 ability dice protecting those instead of the Fighter's 3.  That may not seem like much but the T/F will have a lot easier time hitting the Z-95s than the Z-95s do shooting the other way.

With the rest of them I think we really need more information about them.

#4 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Etahn A'baht, Biggs, and as many Headhunters as you can fit, maybe?

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#5 Muz

Muz

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

I'm not convinced of the Z-95 swarm, sure they are cheap and you could field 8 of them, but with 2 attack, 2 agility and no evade token they wont last as long as a TIE swarm. The only advantage they have over the TIE is one extra HP.

I cant wait to see what pilots come with it, maybe some of their abilities will make them worth while....

Having said that, PS 2 may help out a little..

Edited by Muz, 08 February 2014 - 12:59 AM.

Rebel Alliance Squadrons:

5 X-wing, 2 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 4 B-wing, 1 HWK, 2 YT 1300, 1 GR-75, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Z-95, 2 E-wing

Imperial Navy:

6 TIE fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 2 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Bomber, 1 Fire Spray, 1 Shuttle, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Phantom

#6 LukesFather

LukesFather

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

My guess is that it won't be all z's. Maybe like a mini swarm of 3 or 4 and then filled out worth other ships

Rebels -  3 A wing - 5 B wing - 2 E wing - 2 HWK - - 5 Xwing - 2 YT-1300 - 2 Y wing - 3 Z95
Imperials - 6 Tie/F - 1 Adv/T - 2 Firespray - 3 Tie/I - 1 Aces - 2 Lambda - 3 TIE/B - 2 Tie/P - 2 Tie/D

EPIC - GR-75

Custom - 1 YV-545 (yt1300 conversion)

#7 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

It's very hard to predict how this will turn out. Aside from the Z-95, this wave of ships is extremely expensive with just the base costs of many of these ships coming in at easily 1/3 to 1/4 of your squad total just for the cheapest version with no upgrades. Obviously they are intended to be powerful but with the exception of the TIE Phantom's 4 base attack they do not outright exceed the parameter limits set by similarly priced existing ships. How will the 30 point PS1 defender compare to the traditional Bounty Hunter which comes in at just 3 points more? Is it worth spending 35-40+ points on a souped up Defender or E-wing? Is a 30 point defender worth using over a 32 point Royal Guard Pilot with push the limit, hull upgrade and shield upgrade? Will Z-95 swarms or mini-swarms actually work?

So many questions but until we get more info and/or the ships are out for us to play with, it's difficult to say

Edited by Effenhoog, 08 February 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#8 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

The high cost of three of the four ships is a serious factor in 100 point games. In epic play the cost may be easier to accept.

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#9 rwhiffen

rwhiffen

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

I'm not convinced of the Z-95 swarm, sure they are cheap and you could field 8 of them, but with 2 attack, 2 agility and no evade token they wont last as long as a TIE swarm. The only advantage they have over the TIE is one extra HP.

I cant wait to see what pilots come with it, maybe some of their abilities will make them worth while....

Yeah, the rebel swarm is just different enough that it could be brilliant (with Etahn being their version of Howl) or it could be crap.  Etahn just having to have the target at range 3 but not having to be in any range at all of the beneficiary sound scary and means initial placement and swarm formation is a lot more flexible.

#10 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

It's very hard to predict how this will turn out. Aside from the Z-95, this wave of ships is extremely expensive with just the base costs of many of these ships coming in at easily 1/3 to 1/4 of your squad total just for the cheapest version with no upgrades. Obviously they are intended to be powerful but with the exception of the TIE Phantom's 4 base attack they do not outright exceed the parameter limits set by similarly priced existing ships. How will the 30 point PS1 defender compare to the traditional Bounty Hunter which comes in at just 3 points more? Is it worth spending 35-40+ points on a souped up Defender or E-wing? Is a 30 point defender worth using over a 32 point Royal Guard Pilot with push the limit, hull upgrade and shield upgrade? Will Z-95 swarms or mini-swarms actually work?
So many questions but until we get more info and/or the ships are out for us to play with, it's difficult to say

All good points, pretty much what I was thinking. With the defender I see it as possibly a sub for the bounty hunter slot but it all come down the dial and upgrades. It's going to be hard to beat a 33 bh with recon in a competative 100 environment. Would I rather have the defender on the table??..... Hell yes lol

#11 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

It is going to be fascinating to see how the standard tournament scene develops. I totally see people trying to have 4 Phantoms work. There is a lot of new stuff that we don't know yet. We aren't sure how the new Pilots and Astromechs will affect things when the Transport is released. Will 3 Advance Sensor E-wings work? What do the Flechette Torpedoes and the new Modification mean for ordinance? Will the Cloaking mods for the Phantom make 3 a deadly combo, if you can still take 3? And what do all those shiny new Elite Talents mean for our elite Pilots?

Personally, I think by the time Wave 4 releases, X-wings and Y-wings are going to pretty popular. R7-T1 is going to rival Artoo as one of the most used Astromechs. And we still have the generic R7 in the E-wing pack, and 2? more unique ones in the Transport. I think Elite Pilots are going to be pretty good after Wave 4.

#12 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Expect to see a bunch of assault boats (Bandits with assault missiles for 17 points), biggs protecting said support ships, and many different support/squad leader type ships too. Expect to see 5-6 rebel swarms and other such goodies. Also, the PS3 phantom looks to be 25 points. Expect to see a 4 x 25pt phantom squad. That is 16 dice at R3. Nothing to be trifled at. 

#13 cert13

cert13

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Z-95 sound like a Yugo version of A-wings, the thing that make Tie Swarms work is the way the addition of support ships add to their effectiveness.  An A-wing list is fun as hell to run but lacks the closing ability you need to be competitive.  Until we see what named pilot bonuses are leaked they will remain a white whale build....

Wedge Antilles: The only character from the original series that appears in all three movies, has only one costume, and still manages to help destroy TWO Death Stars.

#14 coolfishboy

coolfishboy

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

I get the feeling they releasing the higher point cost ships along near enough with Epic rules... anyone think it is linked?

My Fleets-

Rebels, 4 X-wings, 3 Y-wings, 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 3 Hwk-290s

Imperials, 8 Tie Fighters, 3 Tie Advanced, 3 Tie Interceptors, 3 Firespray-31s, 2 Lambda Shuttles, 4 Tie Bombers

#15 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

I get the feeling they releasing the higher point cost ships along near enough with Epic rules... anyone think it is linked?

That's what I'm thinking, too. Definitely compatible with current game, but will be easier to field in squads of more than 100, points. We won't really know until we see named pilot powers. There might be something game changing. We can only hope.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-herder.

#16 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

Frankly, this wave is introducing an entirely new metagame. Up is down and left is fish. Expect to see loads of experimentation for a while.

Fishmissile. Doesn't need target lock. On a successful hit enemy pilot dies of embarrassment.

#17 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

Maybe they'll rely on a good alpha strike will all those missiles to thin the enemy out. Closing might be slower with them but focusing down TIEs to deplete evade tokens might work. The big thing will be either a) will they get a Howlrunner-esque pilot to aid the swarm, or will that mysterious 'Wingman' card have some swarm-benefitial effects, either to attack dice or evade dice?

#18 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

To some extent I do but I feel they E wing & defender are a hybrid between falcon/ slave & X wing/ Int. while the have less hull/shields they are small and will maneuver better.

#19 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, something tells me the new stuff is going to push the new formats and rules a bit. It will be interesting to see how, but frankly I'm just excited to be able to fly these new TIEs. 

Side note, I think you can tell a person's childhood gaming by their opinion of the look of the Phantom and Defender. If they hate them, then they likely didn't play TIE Fighter or Rebel Strike II. Poor deprived souls… 

#20 JCDisaray

JCDisaray

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

I like the look of the Tie-Phantom I just would have preferred the Gunboat over it, however, the Tie-Phantom introduces some sweet new concepts.  Wave 4, all in all, is a wicked group of ships.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS