So I want to be a Magnaguard

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Adacin

Adacin

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

I've just recently obtained my rulebook and after skimming through the species page I have decided to make a droid, more specifically a IG-100 Magnaguard. The problem I'm having though is how to actually make its stats as this is the first RPG I am going to play. So far I think that 3 Brawn and 2 Agility might be a good starting point, but after that I am at a loss after that. What other stats should I give my character?

#2 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

What career and specializations are you planning on?

Hired Gun, Bounty Hunter, something like that?

Those have as much to do with idea characteristic layouts as species.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#3 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

What career and specializations are you planning on?

Hired Gun, Bounty Hunter, something like that?

Those have as much to do with idea characteristic layouts as species.

Bodyguard.... Marauder...
  • kaosoe likes this

#4 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Though there are not any rules for electro staff in the CRB, definitely take a look at the force pike. You can always re-flavor it as one.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#5 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

First off, accept that you are not going to start off near as good as the "NPC" MagnaGuard depicted in the media, just by the nature of chargen limitations. This can be explained with aged, deteriorated parts or damage to the memory core. You can and will get there spending in-game XP, just have reasonable expectations.

"Box standard" I would expect to see higher Brawn and Willpower, medium Agility and Cunning, low Intellect and Presence. But of course, feel free to subvert the standard.

Marauder is the obvious pick but a number of other choices work, like Assassin, Bodyguard, or Gadgeteer. I'd say grab a Force Pike - lots of customization options there for the future. 

• CrunchyDemon likes this

#6 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

One of my players is playing a Wookiee politico that wanted to carry a staff... my off the cuff suggestion was a refluffed gaffi stick (Brawn+2, Defensive 1, Disorient 3).

#7 Plan b

Plan b

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:09 AM

I suggest loading up on stats as much as you can and taking extra obligation for more exp for more stats

Brawn 4 Agilty 3 and two mentals at 2 (recommend will and cunning) is doable with only plus 5 obligation you can take more take padded armour (you can have equipment built in) and a force pike.

#8 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

Magnaguard should be easy. Focus on agility and brawn, intellect and cunning of two. Willpower you could ignore, just take ranks in discipline and resilience. I would take marauder first. Now if your droid was to be smarter you could make them them focus on the intellect and cunning add mercenary soldier and say they are an ig-200 magna-general droid
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#9 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

Never do a stat of 4 to begin.  3s and 2s.  You need variety for a good time in Star Wars.

Did Chewie just wait on the Falcon to co-pilot?  Or did he learn to shoot that bow-caster?

Do you want to interact socially?  Did you want to slice doors?  Did you want to break locks?

#10 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Never do a stat of 4 to begin.  3s and 2s.  

I disagree with this, but I also don't think you necessarily need to start with Brawn 4 for a MagnaGuard. it's certainly a bigger investment for a droid than if you take a Trandoshan there.

You need variety for a good time in Star Wars.

Did Chewie just wait on the Falcon to co-pilot?  Or did he learn to shoot that bow-caster?

Do you want to interact socially?  Did you want to slice doors?  Did you want to break locks?

However, I do agree with this. Playing a 1-trick pony gets old when your trick doesn't show up. For a MagnaGuard you can still of course do anything, I just think the most obvious choices are with skills like Coercion. 

#11 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Never do a stat of 4 to begin.  3s and 2s.  You need variety for a good time in Star Wars.

I don't agree with the no 4 at creation concept either.  I think someone could start with a 4 and be quite multi talented.  A human could have a 4 and a 3 at creation and select Agility and say Cunning or Willpower.  Agility obviously provides a host of skills associated with it, Cunning or Presence provide many social skills, as well as things like Perception and Cool.

Take a Duros and go with a 4 Agility and a 4 Intellect and you have someone great at combat, a natural Astrogator/Pilot, and a tech/med skill wonder.  That's very Swiss Army Knife in skill set I think.

• Kshatriya likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#12 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

It's just real hard for a droid with the baselines at 1. A Trandoshan gets to Brawn 4 with 40. A Human takes 70. A droid takes 90. 70 vs 90 may not seem like a lot, but 20 XP is most of raising a 2 to a 3 with Obligation, or anywhere from 2-4 Talents.

#13 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

By nature, I'm an optimizer.  But I don't like one trick ponies.

What ever you do, I recommend picking up a character creation program, and figuring out what your character would perform like a long time in the future.

If you earned 400XP, would he be like?  (Earn it in 50 point increments.) Ask yourself if you would want to play that character.

Its also not obvious at the outset, but some of those Talent trees are difficult to earn.  Knowing that may help you better understand your vision for your character and prepare yourself. You may for instance need to focus on goals to get to where you want. [I've seen the Gadgeteer, and the Soundrel outstrip the other characters pretty thoroughly in terms of skills and development.  They just have simple easy to follow Talent trees.]

• Kshatriya likes this

#14 IndianaWalsh

IndianaWalsh

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

I played a Magnaguard in my last campaign. He had 3 brawn, 2 agility, and 2 willpower, if I remember correctly. I skimped spending a lot on characteristic increases and instead bought Marauder talents to increase his Wounds and Soak - what I remember most about them in-universe is that they're supposed to be extremely durable.

Even if you can't necessarily pull off the proper starting stats for a canon-level Magnaguard, you can always hand-wave that by saying that he's deteriorated a little bit in the 20-or-so years since the Clone Wars.

• Kshatriya likes this

#15 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

My group has a magnaguard. He's the ship's cook.

Magnaguard... Droid? He has no taste buds.... It reminds me of Futurama when Bender decides to cook.
"Bleach! That's too salty!"
"No, it's 10% less than a lethal dose."
  • kaosoe likes this

#16 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:24 AM

If droids can feel pain, who is to say they can't 'taste' food.

Also, there are plenty of examples of cook droids.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#17 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

If you cut them, do they not leak?

• CrunchyDemon, Shakespearian_Soldier and kaosoe like this

What's written above is meant with love

#18 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

If you cut them, do they not leak?

Laugh. My. Arse. Off.

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#19 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

I'm sorry, but a manga guard running around yelling, "Bam!", at dinner time would be pretty unsettling. Heck the crew would have a hard time figuring out if it was an assassin attack, or their next meal was 10% arsenic from the spice weasel. (Not to be confused with space weasels which have an entirely different flavour.)

odd-signs-funny-16.jpg

Edited by UHF, 14 February 2014 - 07:07 PM.

• Col. Orange likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS