Wave 4, anyone?

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#321 redxavier

redxavier

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

Actually, they are pretty capable of flying on their own. I don't remember the exact source, but in one the rogue squadron comics, an R2 unit took down an entire patrol of TIE fighters on its own... including its own master rebel pilot who was infiltrating amongst them!!

I think you may have misunderstood that story - it wasn't the astromech who was flying that X-wing, but Winter who had jumped into Tycho's ship just before it had taken off.

Rebels: 4x X-wings, 4x Y-wings, 2x A-wings, 1x B-wing, YT1300 (just missing the HWK90)

Imperials: Firespray, Lambda Shuttle, 8x TIE Fighters, 2x TIE Bombers, 1x TIE Advanced, 1x TIE Interceptor

On preorder: 2x Rebel Transports, 2x Tantive IV, 2x Imperial Aces

#322 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Extremely disappointing. The E-wing looks absolutely horrible. They went with the god-awful WEG version. While I realize that it's reasonably close to the original Dark Empire version (which itself was a lousy design), they really, really should have used Brand's version from the Fate of the Galaxy game. (Several of Ansel Hsiao's Star Destroyers have been officially adopted as canon, and he's just a fan that got tapped to work on an official book, so it's not a stretch). Same thing for the Defender. It looks like an Interceptor with a 3rd wing, and that's not what a Defender is. Why do you think the Phantom has that gigantic rear end? They should have used Ansel's Defender. And speaking of the huge rear end, the Phantom looks to be too small. It's a two-seater.
The Headhunter looks fine (considering they're continuing the misappropriation of the design rather than making it how it's actually described), but I wasn't going to get any of those anyway.
Not only have I liked every other model that they've done, but I have multiple copies of everything (except the Hawk, which I'll pick up when I get Imperial Aces). But this? Uggh.
Look, I'm super happy with their choices for this wave. I'm just disappointed in the execution. For me this wave is a complete failure and I won't purchase a single thing in it.

Yawn. Yeah, they definitely should have ignored its actual appearance and gone with some random dude's skin he made for a game mod. :P
I'm pretty sure ffg doesn't just Google "tie defender images" and then shoot a nerf dart at the screen to decide which design they go with. They research everything about these ships and then get approval from Lucasfilm or Disney or whoever is in charge at this point. They have been pretty clear about their process (I don't have stuff to cite but I remember it being talked about a lot for the hwk since a lot of people thought the size was wrong). So these ships may not look like the version you like best but they look the way they are supposed to look. And IMO they look awesome. Every one of them. But even if I didn't like the look of them, I still wouldn't let that ruin my gaming experience and refuse to purchase them. Now if you're not really a fan of the game but just like to look at the models or do other stuff with them, then I'm sorry you are disappointed. I hope the next wave is more to your liking.

You are correct. If you look at the interview they did when the Tantive and Transport were shown at Gen Con, they talk in-depth about the approval process, and how much communication goes back and forth between FFG and Lucasarts. They also share art assets to make sure they're using the right one, as described by the guy who did the 3D model of the YT (because there are actually two designs, one from Ep IV and one from Ep V).

So yeah… somehow I doubt they "got the wrong design".

#323 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Expanded universe is officially revised. Work in progress.
https://mobile.twitt...=HolocronKeeper

#324 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Actually, they are pretty capable of flying on their own. I don't remember the exact source, but in one the rogue squadron comics, an R2 unit took down an entire patrol of TIE fighters on its own... including its own master rebel pilot who was infiltrating amongst them!!

I think you may have misunderstood that story - it wasn't the astromech who was flying that X-wing, but Winter who had jumped into Tycho's ship just before it had taken off.

It has passed a lot of time since I read it, and my memory may be clouded, but if IIRC, yes, winter was in the Xwing as passenger, but the one who was piloting it was the R2 unit, mimicking its true pilot maneuvers. I no longer have the book to check it, tough.

#325 redxavier

redxavier

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

When Winter meets with Tycho later on, and he says he was shot down by his own R2 unit, she reveals it was her and that she was able to override the R2 unit after it took off but then found herself amidst the TIES.

Rebels: 4x X-wings, 4x Y-wings, 2x A-wings, 1x B-wing, YT1300 (just missing the HWK90)

Imperials: Firespray, Lambda Shuttle, 8x TIE Fighters, 2x TIE Bombers, 1x TIE Advanced, 1x TIE Interceptor

On preorder: 2x Rebel Transports, 2x Tantive IV, 2x Imperial Aces

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS