Wave 4, anyone?

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#301 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

I am in the midst of moving, and have had no Internet for a while. Just got hooked up today, so this is the first chance I've had to comment on this great news!

Really, these are the ones so very many of us have been begging and whining about since Wave Three (and in some cases, even before). The Z-95 is my Big Win, and I know there's huge love for the Defender & E-Wing. I've seen some talk about the Phantom too and really, what else could thay have stuck in? It HAD to be Imperial, so a YT-2400 was out of the question. Hound's Tooth, maybe.

But, I LIKE it. Great stuff!

• aadh likes this

#302 KILODEN

KILODEN

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

hounds tooth

A9 Vigilance Interceptor

Skipray blast boat

lady luck

YT-2400

Assault Shuttle

Missile Gun Boat

Gun Boat

TIE droid (yes please :D )

all are pheasable wave 5

Hey sarcasm is my thing, sorry if I offend anyone. (Reported) Hey I said I was Sorry (Reported) Really? (Reported) Come on I was apologizing. (Reported) Man you just can't make some people happy can you? (Reported)

#303 KILODEN

KILODEN

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hahah, I was just being thorough! Maybe her special ability would be turning on the player, when you would attack with Erisi, slap yoself.

Also, Wingman card appears to read: At the start of the combat phase... 1 focus token to a friendly ship at range [obscured]. So a card that turns you into Dutch/Kyle. Thoughts?

Well then... I had thought it impossible to have anything spoiled for me by now, but there you go. My roomate bought me the entire X-wing series for christmas, having never read it before now, and I have JUST finished Wedge's Gamble, so the Erisi comment spoiled the traitor for me. I don't mind spoilers, and the book is almost two decades old now, but still... spoiler alert lol

I want Corran Horn as that PS8 Headhunter pilot! Wedge and Gavin didn't fly at Coruscant, but the others did, and it was Asyr's intro to the squadron (I now understand... because I just finished the book and she hadn't joined yet lol.) In fact, looking closely (and squinting) at the picture, it looks like that pilot's first name might be Corran

I am SO sorry.  Like you said, it's a couple of decades old, so I didn't even think to put a spoiler alert.

I want:

-Corran Horn in an X-wing

-Erisi Dlarit in both a TIE Interceptor and an X-wing (Since she's a spy, and I defected, I don't feel so bad about her being one of my favorite Rogues anymore.)

-Tycho in an X-wing

-More Y-wing pilots. Dutch and Horton weren't the ONLY Y-wing pilots to exist

-4 Knave Squadron E-wings.

WHILE I am on the subject of Y-wings....

Does anyone know the name of http://i.stack.imgur.com/ZeVSH.png <-- that guy? I mean I know he got shot down but so did Dutch, Tiree, and that other guy.

Also, the game needs more female pilots. With the exception of Ibtisam, Howlrunner and Kath Scarlet, it's a total sausage fest. Just throwing that out there.

thats because women shouldnt be fighting wars, what are we teaching our kids?

that its OK to hit a girl?

get in the kitchen and make my some pie! woman, dont make me get up!

now i know that will offend some people, but i do not really feel that way, just trying to get a laugh, please forgive me.

i love my wife and we share house chores, so please no hate mail.

see the irony in the post?

• oneway likes this

Hey sarcasm is my thing, sorry if I offend anyone. (Reported) Hey I said I was Sorry (Reported) Really? (Reported) Come on I was apologizing. (Reported) Man you just can't make some people happy can you? (Reported)

#304 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

I've seen some talk about the Phantom too and really, what else could thay have stuck in? It HAD to be Imperial, so a YT-2400 was out of the question. Hound's Tooth, maybe.

But, I LIKE it. Great stuff!

I was expecting Assault Gunboat, TIE Avenger, or maybe Skipray Blastboat, possibly even Missile Boat or Scimitar Assault Bomber.  The TIE Phantom was pretty far out on my guess list, but it's a pleasant surprise.  I like it more than most of the above, and it brings something new to the game, though we have yet to see exactly how it works.

Edited by Effenhoog, 11 February 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#305 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Extremely disappointing. The E-wing looks absolutely horrible. They went with the god-awful WEG version. While I realize that it's reasonably close to the original Dark Empire version (which itself was a lousy design), they really, really should have used Brand's version from the Fate of the Galaxy game. (Several of Ansel Hsiao's Star Destroyers have been officially adopted as canon, and he's just a fan that got tapped to work on an official book, so it's not a stretch). Same thing for the Defender. It looks like an Interceptor with a 3rd wing, and that's not what a Defender is. Why do you think the Phantom has that gigantic rear end? They should have used Ansel's Defender. And speaking of the huge rear end, the Phantom looks to be too small. It's a two-seater.  

The Headhunter looks fine (considering they're continuing the misappropriation of the design rather than making it how it's actually described), but I wasn't going to get any of those anyway.

Not only have I liked every other model that they've done, but I have multiple copies of everything (except the Hawk, which I'll pick up when I get Imperial Aces). But this? Uggh. 

Look, I'm super happy with their choices for this wave. I'm just disappointed in the execution. For me this wave is a complete failure and I won't purchase a single thing in it.

Edited by Hombre, 11 February 2014 - 08:17 PM.

6x X-Wing, 4x Y-Wing, 4x A-Wing, 4x B-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Firespray, 10x TIE/Line, 4x TIE/Interceptor, 2x TIE/Bomber, 2x TIE/Advance, 1x Lambda (all official FFG minis)

Plus whatever custom minis I feel like printing on my personal high resolution 3D printer.

#306 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Extremely disappointing. The E-wing looks absolutely horrible. They went with the god-awful WEG version. While I realize that it's reasonably close to the original Dark Empire version (which itself was a lousy design), they really, really should have used Brand's version from the Fate of the Galaxy game. (Several of Ansel Hsiao's Star Destroyers have been officially adopted as canon, and he's just a fan that got tapped to work on an official book, so it's not a stretch). Same thing for the Defender. It looks like an Interceptor with a 3rd wing, and that's not what a Defender is. Why do you think the Phantom has that gigantic rear end? They should have used Ansel's Defender. And speaking of the huge rear end, the Phantom looks to be too small. It's a two-seater.

The Headhunter looks fine (considering they're continuing the misappropriation of the design rather than making it how it's actually described), but I wasn't going to get any of those anyway.

Not only have I liked every other model that they've done, but I have multiple copies of everything (except the Hawk, which I'll pick up when I get Imperial Aces). But this? Uggh.

Look, I'm super happy with their choices for this wave. I'm just disappointed in the execution. For me this wave is a complete failure and I won't purchase a single thing in it.

Yawn. Yeah, they definitely should have ignored its actual appearance and gone with some random dude's skin he made for a game mod. :P

Edited by CrookedWookie, 11 February 2014 - 08:50 PM.

• Vorpal Sword, aadh, KILODEN and 1 other like this

#307 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Looks exactly like the Defender from Tie Fighter. I think that's what most of us were expecting,

#308 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

There are some differences. It's just, the Defender's image has been streamlined since then.

#309 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

Yawn. Yeah, they definitely should have ignored its actual appearance and gone with some random dude's skin he made for a game mod. :P
I'm pretty sure ffg doesn't just Google "tie defender images" and then shoot a nerf dart at the screen to decide which design they go with. They research everything about these ships and then get approval from Lucasfilm or Disney or whoever is in charge at this point. They have been pretty clear about their process (I don't have stuff to cite but I remember it being talked about a lot for the hwk since a lot of people thought the size was wrong). So these ships may not look like the version you like best but they look the way they are supposed to look. And IMO they look awesome. Every one of them. But even if I didn't like the look of them, I still wouldn't let that ruin my gaming experience and refuse to purchase them. Now if you're not really a fan of the game but just like to look at the models or do other stuff with them, then I'm sorry you are disappointed. I hope the next wave is more to your liking.

Edited by jedi moose, 11 February 2014 - 10:03 PM.

• Vorpal Sword and CrookedWookie like this

#310 KILODEN

KILODEN

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'm pretty sure ffg doesn't just Google "tie defender images" and then shoot a nerf dart at the screen to decide which design they go with. They research everything about these ships and then get approval from Lucasfilm or Disney or whoever is in charge at this point. They have been pretty clear about their process (I don't have stuff to cite but I remember it being talked about a lot for the hwk since a lot of people thought the size was wrong). So these ships may not look like the version you like best but they look the way they are supposed to look. And IMO they look awesome. Every one of them. But even if I didn't like the look of them, I still wouldn't let that ruin my gaming experience and refuse to purchase them. Now if you're not really a fan of the game but just like to look at the models or do other stuff with them, then I'm sorry you are disappointed. I hope the next wave is more to your liking.

drops the mike................

• oneway, Revanchist and CrookedWookie like this

#311 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

I've seen pics of the newer Defender with the long wing ends and to be honest it looks like they hamper the pilots vision. The older version seems like a better design as it doesn't block the pilot.

#312 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

Looks exactly like the Defender from Tie Fighter. I think that's what most of us were expecting,

No, actually, it doesn't. The original TIE Defender had a long body and wings instead of the struts, which appear to come from the Decipher CCG.

TIEDefender.png

That's okay though, the tri-symmetry make this the most beautiful TIE Fighter of the range. I was hoping for the long-body version when we eventually got to the Defender but I knew it was a long shot. The new TIE strut model has replaced any thought of the original.

I also have a suspicion players relying on the Z-95 to beat up TIE swarms will end up disappointed. TIEs have agility 3, Z-95s have Agility 2. It's about even in terms of firepower but the TIE Fighters have better options to shrug off hits (with Evade, Barrel Rolling, and one more agility). I suspect the first few Z-95 vs Academy swarm matches will quickly fall to the TIEs since they can deflect more damage.

Now a list shooting Assault Missiles is a different story. Fewer ships but greater potential for overlap damage. Successful kickoffs against clustered Academy pilots could bring their HP down to 1, if not kill them outright.

• aadh likes this

#313 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

I've always wondered... So the R2 or R5 or R7 designates the line of astromech units... but short of the company only making 260 of each one, the -D2 -P9, -K8 can't be unique, but rather a specific "option" type thing... You know, add rocket thrusters (yes I know this was supposedly done during The Clone Wars, but he also uses them in Attack of the Clones), arc welder, blue paint... 
Which would mean that there are more than one R2-D2 in the world... Just like there's more than one 2014 Yellow Corvette Z06 with the track handling package.

You are absolutely correct about this. The only thing that makes the R2-D2 unit we all know special is that he has developed a personality that has evolved via the experiences he has been part of. Pilots typically wipe the memories of their astromechs to prevent them from developing 'ticks' over time that are detrimental. But, the skywalkers have always insisted on foregoing this process, which has given us an R2-D2 unit that is sympathetic to their cause and will actually break the law because of this. Using human only life pods, running away against strict orders otherwise to find Obi-Wan, etc. He's quite the Rebel.
  • Khyros likes this

#314 DarkmanSW

DarkmanSW

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

I think the defender is missing a torpedo slot. The defender has also a bomber role

#315 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

I've always wondered... So the R2 or R5 or R7 designates the line of astromech units... but short of the company only making 260 of each one, the -D2 -P9, -K8 can't be unique, but rather a specific "option" type thing... You know, add rocket thrusters (yes I know this was supposedly done during The Clone Wars, but he also uses them in Attack of the Clones), arc welder, blue paint... 
Which would mean that there are more than one R2-D2 in the world... Just like there's more than one 2014 Yellow Corvette Z06 with the track handling package.

You are absolutely correct about this. The only thing that makes the R2-D2 unit we all know special is that he has developed a personality that has evolved via the experiences he has been part of. Pilots typically wipe the memories of their astromechs to prevent them from developing 'ticks' over time that are detrimental. But, the skywalkers have always insisted on foregoing this process, which has given us an R2-D2 unit that is sympathetic to their cause and will actually break the law because of this. Using human only life pods, running away against strict orders otherwise to find Obi-Wan, etc. He's quite the Rebel.

That's true.  Poor C-3PO had his memory wiped between Anakin and Luke =/  But the Skywalkers aren't the only ones who don't wipe their memory, thus we have Whistler!  I wasn't trying to say that all of the R2-D2's out there have the same knowledge and personality, as I agree that the personality "quirks" are developed over time (thus why they typically get their memories wiped so they're more predictable and do what they're supposed to).  

It makes me wonder - if astromechs can do the complicated calculations for hyperspace jumps, why can they only fly an X wing in the hangar?  Seems to me that they should be able fly it completely unassisted.  Possibly a restraining programming feature to keep your droid from running away with your ship?

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#316 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

I think the defender is missing a torpedo slot. The defender has also a bomber role

So did the Y-Wing (have a bomber role).  *shrug*

There were variants of all the ships geared to different roles, and I'm sure that'll give them an excuse to release more pilots, upgrades, titles, etc, that round out the utility of the ships as they go.

#317 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

Hope Disney will keep it these canon, if not their background stories

#318 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:07 AM

The Defender's role is a superior fighter-bomber, with the capability to take on enemy capital ships w/o the support of imperial capital ships. Their main task is to disable enemy ships to prepare them to be boarded by stormtroopers in assault ferries standing by to jump in after the Defenders done their job.  Lore says it had a torpedo launcher. In TIE FIGHTER every craft could be outfitted with almost any warheads, it depented on the mission, not on the craft. The difference was in the amount of warheads. So, a missile slot is fine for me. It emphasizes the dogfighting qualities. And with the new ion missiles it fits even to its original task.

It is just that I hope for an EPT for the PS3 Defender pilots!

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#319 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:54 AM

It makes me wonder - if astromechs can do the complicated calculations for hyperspace jumps, why can they only fly an X wing in the hangar?  Seems to me that they should be able fly it completely unassisted.  Possibly a restraining programming feature to keep your droid from running away with your ship?

Actually, they are pretty capable of flying on their own. I don't remember the exact source, but in one the rogue squadron comics, an R2 unit took down an entire patrol of TIE fighters on its own... including its own master rebel pilot who was infiltrating amongst them!!

#320 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:13 AM

Hope Disney will keep it these canon, if not their background stories

The Prequel trilogy and the appearance of the Arc-170 as the "X-Wing Predecessor" didn't mute the Z-95. I think these fighters will persist in some fashion in spite of whatever Disney will do in Episode 7+. The EU will adapt as it always has.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS