Upgrades/Pilots that we never use...Convince us we are wrong

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

, so it took a very long time for Ibby and an A wing to kill him off, but there was no chance that he was going to kill Ibby.  

Ibby is one bad mother...  :D

• Audio Weasel likes this

#102 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

, so it took a very long time for Ibby and an A wing to kill him off, but there was no chance that he was going to kill Ibby.  

shut yo' mouth

• Stone37 and Viceroy Bolda like this

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#103 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

shut yo' mouth

But I'm just talkn' 'bout Ibby...

• Viceroy Bolda and Audio Weasel like this

#104 Dr. Z

Dr. Z

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

I actually got some good use out of Expose by putting it on Wedge.  I had Biggs stay close to draw fire and Katarn in the Crow to pass Focus tokens.  Wedge was one-shotting Ties left and right.  It's especially easy at close range, he rolls 5 dice with a focus and they roll one less agility from his special text.  The subtraction to his own agility didn't have an effect since they had to keep shooting at Biggs. 

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

#105 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I actually got some good use out of Expose by putting it on Wedge.  I had Biggs stay close to draw fire and Katarn in the Crow to pass Focus tokens.  Wedge was one-shotting Ties left and right.  It's especially easy at close range, he rolls 5 dice with a focus and they roll one less agility from his special text.  The subtraction to his own agility didn't have an effect since they had to keep shooting at Biggs. 

You could accomplish the same thing without the expose but with Jan Ors. I think that would be a little better

#106 blade_mercurial

blade_mercurial

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Dude…. the whole point of Deadeye is so that you don't have to have a TL in the first place. You know, for instance if you were a low PS pilot who had to fly up first and had no one in range of your target lock.

Yeah I get that, but I just would never fire a missile without some kind of buff to the attack.  I mean to spend all those points on a one-shot attack, there's nothing more frustrating than wiffing your roll or having your opponent get an amazing evade result.  So I guess I would never fire it off that way.  I'm perfectly happy waiting an extra turn to get that focus to make the shot more likely to deal damage.  Hence the reason I'd never use deadeye, but if other ppl are using to get reliable assault missile hits, then more power to them!

#107 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Dude…. the whole point of Deadeye is so that you don't have to have a TL in the first place. You know, for instance if you were a low PS pilot who had to fly up first and had no one in range of your target lock.

Yeah I get that, but I just would never fire a missile without some kind of buff to the attack.  I mean to spend all those points on a one-shot attack, there's nothing more frustrating than wiffing your roll or having your opponent get an amazing evade result.  So I guess I would never fire it off that way.  I'm perfectly happy waiting an extra turn to get that focus to make the shot more likely to deal damage.  Hence the reason I'd never use deadeye, but if other ppl are using to get reliable assault missile hits, then more power to them!

I personally think deadeye only works with PT, HM, or Conc.  Conc and PT because they modify non-hits to hits, giving you an average hit of 3.  HM because you can spend the F on the attack, giving you an average hit of 3.  

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#108 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Personally, I'm right there with you. But then, I strongly dislike low-PS lists so I tend not to have that problem. However, for those that do use it I can see the use. It's a tradeoff: lower possible output for the ability to fire your ordinance before you get taken completely out in the first round of combat. I've killed many an A-Wing like that. I however tend to run high-PS guys with Concussion Missiles, and further modify them with focus tokens or Marksmanship. You have to have a truly terrible attack roll to miss with that.

#109 blade_mercurial

blade_mercurial

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

I personally think deadeye only works with PT, HM, or Conc.  Conc and PT because they modify non-hits to hits, giving you an average hit of 3.  HM because you can spend the F on the attack, giving you an average hit of 3.  

I've only ever used assault missiles successfully (with any kind of consistency) on Vader.  And generally, I prefer HM or Conc, but I shy away from protons...perhaps I had too much bad luck with them when I first got into this game, because its hard for me to actually put them into a list these days...

#110 Slugrage

Slugrage

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

I've used Expose to good effect on Mauler as I like to close to Range 1 with the TIEs. Combine with Colonel Jendon, or Howl with Squad Leader if she doesn't need the action) and he can hit pretty hard. It's daring, but can work to serious effect. Getting five dice (2 base, +1 range 1, +1 card ability, +1 Expose) with some reroll is pretty sweet. All for just 21 points.

I'm just waiting for Aces to add the Targeting Computer TL to this option too. For 23 points, it'll be a decent close-in slugger for how I play and I won't need to stick as close to Jendon then.

Core: 3 sets

Rebel: 1 X, 3 Y, 3 A, 2 B, 2 H, 2 YT-1300, 2 E, 4 Z, 1 CR-90, 1 GR-75

Imperial: 2 T, 3 T/Ad, 4 T/Int, 2 T/Bmb, 2 T/Df, 2T/Ph, 2 Shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 Imp Aces

Order: 1 YT-2400, 1 VT-49, 2 Reb Aces

#111 Guitarquero

Guitarquero

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

I use R5-K6 with dutch and garven combo. it does come in handy when it works.

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

Rebels: 4 Xwings, 2 Ywings, 2 Awings, 2 Bwings, 2 HWK 290, 2 YT-1300

Imperials: 6 TIE, 3 TIE/In, 2 TIE/A, 2 TIE/B, 2 Firespray, 2 Lamda

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS