Upgrades/Pilots that we never use...Convince us we are wrong

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

So  I was thinking that some of us may never use certain upgrades or pilots because we just don't see the point or don't think they are worth the points for what they do. So this is a thread to get some help on any pilot/upgrade that we don't see the value of. Maybe someone out there has had great success using it and can share the benefit of their experience. Or maybe the community will confirm that our assessment of a Pilot/upgrade was dead on and no one ever uses it.

I'll start with Sensor Jammers. I think 4 pts  for the ability to turn a hit into an eyeball is kind of a bit too much to justify. Its likely that your opponent has a focus, since it seems to be the default action most of us take, or they have a TL, which lets them re-roll that eyeball with a 50/50 chance of getting another hit, or even worse a crit. It seems to be a highly situational upgrade. What am I missing? Have you found it to be worth the points?

Edited by jedi moose, 07 February 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#2 cubby09

cubby09

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Arvel and fel's wrath=pointless

• Johdo and jasonkw like this

"I can hold it.....no, I'm alrigh......agghhh!" 

-The Death of Porkins

Imperial 1 Tie advanced, 1interceptor, 1 bomber, 1 firespray, 2 Lambda, 7 ties, 2 aces

Rebel 4 x-wings, 2 y-wings, 3 b-wing, 1 HWK, 2 Falcons, 3 A-wing, GR-75

#3 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

Sensor jammer is great. It's one of the best defensive upgrades you can take. One of its hidden strengths is that it forces your opponent to use focus for offense. This can be quite important, especially if you shoot first. Do they use the focus to prevent damage before shooting back or not?

The biggest problem is that it is only useable on craft that otherwise need that system slot. B-Wings are served much better by advanced sensors and the Lambda is often using FCS or Advanced Sensors. I believe that this upgrade is a sleeper upgrade. Either a new ship will come along with a system slot that can really use this, or more B-Wing builds will start taking it. Right now it's super hard to work this into a 4 ship rebel build, especially at PS4

• Magnus Grendel, Picasso, Viceroy Bolda and 2 others like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#4 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

So  I was thinking that some of us may never use certain upgrades or pilots because we just don't see the point or don't think they are worth the points for what they do. So this is a thread to get some help on any pilot/upgrade that we don't see the value of. Maybe someone out there has had great success using it and can share the benefit of their experience. Or maybe the community will confirm that our assessment of a Pilot/upgrade was dead on and no one ever uses it.

I'll start with Sensor Jammers. I think 4 pts  for the ability to turn a hit into an eyeball is kind of a bit too much to justify. Its likely that your opponent has a focus, since it seems to be the default action most of us take, or they have a TL, which lets them re-roll that eyeball with a 50/50 chance of getting another hit, or even worse a crit. It seems to be a highly situational upgrade. What am I missing? Have you found it to be worth the points?

Edit: After re-reading the card text i realized that TL/Re-rolls can not be used on this modified dice. So SJ just got a little better in my book. This thread is working for me already

• rwhiffen likes this

#5 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

A friend of mine runs a very good sensor jammer list: 

ORS + ENG Upgrade + Intel Agent

Blue + Sensor Jammer + HLC

Blue + Sensor Jammer + HLC

#6 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Sensor Jammer is going to be brilliant alongside Opportunist. Either they deal less damage, or they have to dodge more damage. Either way, they lose.

• onebit likes this

#7 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Sensor jammer either prevents one point of damage or forces the opponent to use focus for offense. It's worth 4 points.

Ibitsam with sensor jammer and elusiveness is not bad. Mainly because pilot ability and advanced sensors do not combine well.

Other useless stuff:

Winged Gundark

Maarek Stele

R5-D8

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#8 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Sensor Jammer is going to be brilliant alongside Opportunist. Either they deal less damage, or they have to dodge more damage. Either way, they lose.

That only applies if the opponent attacks first.

#9 Ringo67

Ringo67

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

One upgrade that I never seem to use is Intelligence Agent. The card says:

"At the start of the Activation phase, choose 1 enemy ship at Range 1-2. You may look at that ship's chosen maneuver."

I can't see myself using it, as by this time all movements have been chosen. Maybe for a low PS ship, but still how much can it help you?

• Filthy Pierre likes this

Rebels: X-Wing (4), B-Wing (3), Y-Wing (1), A-Wing (1), YT-1300 (1), HWK-290 (1), GR-75 (1), CR-90 (1)

Imperials: TIE-Fighter (5), TIE Advanced (1), TIE Bomber (1), TIE Interceptor (3), Firespray-31 (1), Lamda Shuttle (1)

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." ~ Isaac Asimov

#10 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

"At the start of the Activation phase, choose 1 enemy ship at Range 1-2. You may look at that ship's chosen maneuver."

I can't see myself using it, as by this time all movements have been chosen. Maybe for a low PS ship, but still how much can it help you?

Intelligence Agent allows you to boost/barrel roll someone with low PS (not necessarily the ship with Intelligence Agent) into position to force overlapping. or consider an ORS with intelligence agent, navigator and APL.

#11 GlobeTrotting

GlobeTrotting

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

My list of cards that I almost never see played:

R5-D8

R5-K6

Daredevil

Expose

Autoblaster

Saboteur

Although there are others that are uncommon (Weapons Engineer, Navigator, Dead Eye, etc), those six are the ones that I truly almost never see in builds.

#12 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

No, it applies either way.  If the opponent attacks first, he has to decide to use it on offense, or keep it for D.  Most likely will use it for offense.  

But if the SJ ship attacks first, the enemy can choose to spend the focus on D to evade more damage, knowing that a hit will be denied on offense.  I like it on Ibby and feel like as the year progresses, the AdvS rave will die down, and more people will start using SJ, probably as early as Regionals.  Once a few people do well with them, others will start trying them out.

It's primary use is regarding when to boost/BR, or use navigator.  If you don't have a method to modify your movement, then it's rather useless, though I suppose it could help with action selection.

I never use blaster turret, but I know some people do, so I guess that doesn't count in here.

Expose is the one that pops to mind, but we've talked about that in detail in the past

R5-K6

Proximity Mines

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#13 Ringo67

Ringo67

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

Intelligence Agent allows you to boost/barrel roll someone with low PS (not necessarily the ship with Intelligence Agent) into position to force overlapping. or consider an ORS with intelligence agent, navigator and APL.

OK, i think I get it now. It seems it would be useful on the Firespray and shuttle. I guess since I haven't run many ships with crew slots, not to mention the ability to boost or barreI roll. I'll have to look at it now that I recently acquired one of each. :)

Rebels: X-Wing (4), B-Wing (3), Y-Wing (1), A-Wing (1), YT-1300 (1), HWK-290 (1), GR-75 (1), CR-90 (1)

Imperials: TIE-Fighter (5), TIE Advanced (1), TIE Bomber (1), TIE Interceptor (3), Firespray-31 (1), Lamda Shuttle (1)

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." ~ Isaac Asimov

#14 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

It is brilliant if your Low PS pilots have the ability to alter their ending position through Boost, Barrel Roll, or Navigator.

Try this fleet on for size:

Outer Rim Smuggler

+ Intelligence Agent

+ Navigator

+ Anti Pursuit Lasers

[33]

Outer Rim Smuggler

+ Intelligence Agent

+ Navigator

+ Anti Pursuit Lasers

[33]

Outer Rim Smuggler

+ Intelligence Agent

+ Navigator

+ Anti Pursuit Lasers

[33]

This build brought to you by SableGryphon Inc.

SableGryphon: Accept no substitutes.

• voidstate, stegocent, Filthy Pierre and 4 others like this

#15 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

No, it applies either way.  If the opponent attacks first, he has to decide to use it on offense, or keep it for D.  Most likely will use it for offense.  

But if the SJ ship attacks first, the enemy can choose to spend the focus on D to evade more damage, knowing that a hit will be denied on offense.  I like it on Ibby and feel like as the year progresses, the AdvS rave will die down, and more people will start using SJ, probably as early as Regionals.  Once a few people do well with them, others will start trying them out.

If the SJ/opportunist ship attacks first it cannot use opportunist as the target has a focus counter. The explanation above is about the effect of SJ not the effect of SJ and opportunist. So I stand by what I said: The combination of SJ and opportunist only works if the opponent attacks first.

#16 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

If the SJ/opportunist ship attacks first it cannot use opportunist as the target has a focus counter. The explanation above is about the effect of SJ not the effect of SJ and opportunist. So I stand by what I said: The combination of SJ and opportunist only works if the opponent attacks first.

Put Sensor Jammer on a different ship, mate. Kagi or Yorr alongside some Saber Squad Opportunists would be pretty sweet.

#17 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Oh snap (reference to the 90s) I totally misread the first post and didn't see the reference to opportunist.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#18 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Arvel and fel's wrath=pointless

I disagree on both counts.  IMHO, Arvel is better than Tycho!  Read the text: You may declare an enemy ship inside your firing arc that you are touching as the target of your attack.

This means you can jam a ship by getting into its way, or purposely running into it yourself, and STILL be able to attack said enemy ship.  Because the enemy ship is touching Arvel's base, it is unable to attack Arvel.  This is a great way to bust up a swarm of Tie Fighters!

Fel is a great 2nd or 3rd Interceptor.  He's your guy when you need to take down a enemy ship with a higher SP.  Say you've finally reduced Han Solo down to just a hull or two, but he's blasting everything before it gets the chance to fire.  There is no staying out of his firing arc, because his main weapon is a turret!  Enter Fel's Wrath.  Yeah, he's probably going to die, hut Han is going with him.  You've lost 23 points and your opponent has lost 46+

Edited by Stone37, 07 February 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#19 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Arvel's ability is great...but not for his Pilot skill.  He's the one that's doing the bumping (and thus losing action) way before people are bumping into him.  That's why Arvel gets the wrap he does...

Fel is terrible because his ability only works when he is leaving the board, while everyone else's abilities work while they are on the board.  Int's are fragile and expensive enough to where i do not want to spend points on a ship that's ability only works when he dies.

Sensor Jammer is going to show it's worth more when Carnor Jax & Kir Kanos start showing up...IMHO.

Edited by Johdo, 07 February 2014 - 01:02 PM.

• Filthy Pierre and DraconPyrothayan like this

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#20 Imperial Rebel

Imperial Rebel

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Sensor jammer is great. It's one of the best defensive upgrades you can take. One of its hidden strengths is that it forces your opponent to use focus for offense. This can be quite important, especially if you shoot first. Do they use the focus to prevent damage before shooting back or not?

The biggest problem is that it is only useable on craft that otherwise need that system slot. B-Wings are served much better by advanced sensors and the Lambda is often using FCS or Advanced Sensors. I believe that this upgrade is a sleeper upgrade. Either a new ship will come along with a system slot that can really use this, or more B-Wing builds will start taking it. Right now it's super hard to work this into a 4 ship rebel build, especially at PS4

Yes! Just think if the Tie-Advanced could take it you could go..

Vader + Sensor Jammer + Stealth Device (36)

That would be VERY hard to hit!

Edited by Imperial Rebel, 07 February 2014 - 01:07 PM.

Imperials (12): Tie-Fighters (5) Space Narwhals (2) Tie-Advanceds (1) Firesprays (1) Tie-Phantoms (2)

Tie-Defenders (1)

Rebels (12): X-Wings (4) B-Wings (2) HWK-290s (1) YT-1200s (1) Z-95 Headhunters (1) A-Wings (1)

Y-Wings (1) E-Wings (1)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS