Old Netrunner player with a q.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

How does this compare to the old version of the game (Cyber Mastiff, hoooo!), is it better, worse?

What are the differences between the two?

#2 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

There are 3 main differences:

1. Factions. There are 4 different named Megacorps and 3 different Runner factions in the game. At first, I was annoyed because I liked the "nameless, faceless megacorp" that was in the original game, but on second thought, that was bull. The Runner's not going to go running blindly into a Corp's Icewall, they're going to do some research first and learn about the Corp's favorite tactics. There are also "influence" rules that cover how to include cards from outside your Faction in your deck.

2. Card Limits. FFG has imposed a 3-card limit on all cards in your deck. Most people have never played a *CG that survived without card limits, so I'm not surprised they added this. I'm not sure if the game could have been successfully balanced without them, so I'll live with it.

3. Card distribution. Instead of a "Collectible Card Game" with randomized "Booster Packs", ADN is a "Living Card Game" with non-random "Data Packs" with 3 copies each of 20 different cards.

IME, the game is better balanced, less luck based, and more consistent in both mechanical and artistic quality.

Edited by etherial, 07 February 2014 - 09:23 AM.

• Keffisch and CommissarFeesh like this

#3 Zorajit

Zorajit

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

Original Netrunner does have a larger card pool, and will stay that way for a while to come yet. But on the whole, I'd play A:NR

#4 Shockwave

Shockwave

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'm also an old NR player, and IMO it is 90-95% the same game, and the difference is all improvement.

Etherial covered most of the differences the only one other that I can mention is that Trace's work differently.

Example

Trace5 now means that the Corp starts at a value of 5 and can spend to add to it to get a (open) total it wants. The Runner then choose's to spend to equal that total and defend the Trace, or to let the Trace win and suffer the associated effect.

• Keffisch likes this

#5 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

Thank you gents.

#6 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

Original Netrunner does have a larger card pool, and will stay that way for a while to come yet. But on the whole, I'd play A:NR

ADN should surpass ONR by the end of the calendar year.

#7 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

I'm also an old NR player, and IMO it is 90-95% the same game, and the difference is all improvement.

Etherial covered most of the differences the only one other that I can mention is that Trace's work differently.

Example

Trace5 now means that the Corp starts at a value of 5 and can spend to add to it to get a (open) total it wants. The Runner then choose's to spend to equal that total and defend the Trace, or to let the Trace win and suffer the associated effect.

Yeah, trace, bad publicity, and viruses all work differently. Also the order of operations for a lethal datasteal is reversed from ONR (the Runner wins the game before taking the lethal damage). But these are all Tier 2 differences, IMNSHO.

#8 Maliseraph

Maliseraph

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

As an enthusiastic player of the original, I would add that the new one takes many cards from the old game that were really neat, but ultimately under/over-powered and tweaks them to be just right.

My prime example of this for the Runner is making The Personal Touch two cheaper, and changing it from a Prep to a Hardware (which when combined with Replicator makes it awesome).

My prime example for the Corp is Snare! now costing 4 to activate, but doing 3 Net instead of 2, and also giving a tag.

They also learned things from how the previous meta worked, and have made great decisions on when to cause brain damage and how difficult it should be to prevent it as a result.

I also adore that it is presented in a Living Card Game model of distribution, so I don't have 30 copies of Hostile Takeover gathering dust but can't get my hands on a single Corporate War.

To me, it is on many levels not just New Netrunner, it is New and Improved Netrunner.
  • Shockwave and Keffisch like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS