Developing List: A Scarlet Cowgirl

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#121 Jisforjets

Jisforjets

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

I agree, B wings have more power than there 22 points should afford them.

#122 AnsibleTheta

AnsibleTheta

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

In my local meta I have 2 players that run 4 B wings in formation. I anticipate either player starting in formation in line with the asteroid boarder. How does this type of squad and formation play vs the cowgirl? One guy runs four FCS daggers, the other 4 AS blues.

Against the guy w/ 4 FCS Daggers you call over the tournament organizer and request a disqualification for your opponent.  A dagger w/ FCS is 26 points, making his list 104pts total.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#123 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

In my local meta I have 2 players that run 4 B wings in formation. I anticipate either player starting in formation in line with the asteroid boarder. How does this type of squad and formation play vs the cowgirl? One guy runs four FCS daggers, the other 4 AS blues.

Against the guy w/ 4 FCS Daggers you call over the tournament organizer and request a disqualification for your opponent.  A dagger w/ FCS is 26 points, making his list 104pts total.

If two of them are actually Blues, it's 100. Otherwise, yeah, get him DQed

#124 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Bwings are awesome and their pilots are cheating... no wonder they feel so hard to beat. 

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#125 Jisforjets

Jisforjets

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

So... How does scarlet albino hamplanet beat 4 B wings?

#126 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Keeping them stressed and out maneuvered with EH on Scarlet and the speed of the shuttle.  Blocking with the academies when possible to deny actions and placement.  Good rolls and YOU HAVE TO FOCUS FIRE. 

• jasonkw likes this

#127 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

So... How does scarlet albino hamplanet beat 4 B wings?

this is the list im most worried about, more than a tie-swarm because of its massive firepower and durability. i think concentrating on one ship as much as possible would be advisable - id possibly keep my academy pilots at long range until i saw an opportunity to close in and pick off a weakened ship.

• jasonkw likes this

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#128 Ringo67

Ringo67

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

So, on Thursday I ran the Scarlet Cowgirl at my FLGS tournament and went 0-2, with one bye.

I blame my poor setup and poor flying for the loss.

The first game I set up the TIEs in the center of the board with Kath and the great galactic bovine opposite my opponent's TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor and gaggle of TIE fighters. I dove right into the fray with the shuttle and let Kath skirt the fight. It worked well for a while, but my TIEs were quickly dispatched, leaving my wounded shuttle and to take the fire as my opponent didn't want the stress of targeting Kath. Between Kath and shuttle, I was able to knock out his bomber with half his ordnance unfired., but my shuttle was taken out in the final round. Although my opponent didn't clear the board, he was able to notch a big enough victory to earn 5 points.

Round two was a bye, but I let the TO use some of my rebel ships (he didn't have many ships) to play a friendly against me. He had to watch the counter while playing, so we only got about three rounds in, but he was still able to take out one of mt TIEs. Glad this one didn't count, though.

Third round, was against the previous tourney's champion. He ran a Han shoots first variant with Wedge, both with Marksmanship. This time I set up the shuttle and Kath on opposite ends of the board, with the TIEs in the center, straddling a couple of asteroids. I was able to blast the shuttle down the right side of the board, with Kath going down the left, but I had Kath turn hard into the asteroid field. I had the TIEs cross each other and head in different directions. My opponent kept wanting to target Kath with Han, which worked fine with me because each time he did, he added a stress token. That meant he couldn't take Marksmanship as an action. So I only had to deal with Han's and Luke's re-roll. Once again, my TIEs died quickly. I was able to get a few flanking shots on Wedge before he K-turned and got some good licks in on my shuttle with me unable to roll a die on multiple occasions thanks to Wedge's ability. Eventually, my opponent got Kath and the shuttle down to one or two points and Han and Wedge polished off one ship apiece. I was able to focus fire and drop his Falcon to one hull point, but couldn't get the killing shot. That low PS was hurting me in this match.

All-in-all, a difficult night, but I think I learned a lot on how to play this squad. What I think I'll do next time is set up Kath and the shuttle diagonally from my opponent's main force. The TIES will set up in the middle as usual. I will do a grand arcing attack from the shuttle, trying to remain in range 3 where possible to enhance survivability by adding an defense die. Kath will blast through the formation, firing on the way in, and firing on the way out. I figure I'll us the TIEs to keep the shuttle's tail clear and nip at the heals of the opponent's formation, while trying to remain at range 3 when possible, again to advance survivability.

I plan on flying this squad again. I felt like I was getting the hang of it near the end of game two. It's a fun squad, especially when I got the special sauce going on the shuttle, giving me three re-rolls on many attacks. Sure I lost, but I got some good licks in. So I'm happy. :)

• Lappenlocker likes this

Rebels: X-Wing (4), B-Wing (3), Y-Wing (1), A-Wing (1), YT-1300 (1), HWK-290 (1), GR-75 (1), CR-90 (1)

Imperials: TIE-Fighter (5), TIE Advanced (1), TIE Bomber (1), TIE Interceptor (3), Firespray-31 (1), Lamda Shuttle (1)

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." ~ Isaac Asimov

#129 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

So, on Thursday I ran the Scarlet Cowgirl at my FLGS tournament and went 0-2, with one bye.

I blame my poor setup and poor flying for the loss.

The first game I set up the TIEs in the center of the board with Kath and the great galactic bovine opposite my opponent's TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor and gaggle of TIE fighters. I dove right into the fray with the shuttle and let Kath skirt the fight. It worked well for a while, but my TIEs were quickly dispatched, leaving my wounded shuttle and to take the fire as my opponent didn't want the stress of targeting Kath. Between Kath and shuttle, I was able to knock out his bomber with half his ordnance unfired., but my shuttle was taken out in the final round. Although my opponent didn't clear the board, he was able to notch a big enough victory to earn 5 points.

Round two was a bye, but I let the TO use some of my rebel ships (he didn't have many ships) to play a friendly against me. He had to watch the counter while playing, so we only got about three rounds in, but he was still able to take out one of mt TIEs. Glad this one didn't count, though.

Third round, was against the previous tourney's champion. He ran a Han shoots first variant with Wedge, both with Marksmanship. This time I set up the shuttle and Kath on opposite ends of the board, with the TIEs in the center, straddling a couple of asteroids. I was able to blast the shuttle down the right side of the board, with Kath going down the left, but I had Kath turn hard into the asteroid field. I had the TIEs cross each other and head in different directions. My opponent kept wanting to target Kath with Han, which worked fine with me because each time he did, he added a stress token. That meant he couldn't take Marksmanship as an action. So I only had to deal with Han's and Luke's re-roll. Once again, my TIEs died quickly. I was able to get a few flanking shots on Wedge before he K-turned and got some good licks in on my shuttle with me unable to roll a die on multiple occasions thanks to Wedge's ability. Eventually, my opponent got Kath and the shuttle down to one or two points and Han and Wedge polished off one ship apiece. I was able to focus fire and drop his Falcon to one hull point, but couldn't get the killing shot. That low PS was hurting me in this match.

All-in-all, a difficult night, but I think I learned a lot on how to play this squad. What I think I'll do next time is set up Kath and the shuttle diagonally from my opponent's main force. The TIES will set up in the middle as usual. I will do a grand arcing attack from the shuttle, trying to remain in range 3 where possible to enhance survivability by adding an defense die. Kath will blast through the formation, firing on the way in, and firing on the way out. I figure I'll us the TIEs to keep the shuttle's tail clear and nip at the heals of the opponent's formation, while trying to remain at range 3 when possible, again to advance survivability.

I plan on flying this squad again. I felt like I was getting the hang of it near the end of game two. It's a fun squad, especially when I got the special sauce going on the shuttle, giving me three re-rolls on many attacks. Sure I lost, but I got some good licks in. So I'm happy. :)

nice report ringo. ive been testing Scarlet Cowgirl versus a han shoots first variant and its hard. that 360 firing arc on the falcon is murder - i have to keep my ties at med-long range unless im sure of a block. coordinating all ur ships onto han has worked best for me but u have to stay out of close range or u will take a pounding. i think the hardest thing to adjust to with this list is keeping the academy pilots out of the rough stuff and be quite defensive with them early on... ur firspray and/or shuttlebus should draw enemy fire away from them but only if they r at long range from enemy ships themselves.

good to see u r having fun with this list despite losing.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 21 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

• Lappenlocker likes this

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#130 Ringo67

Ringo67

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

nice report ringo. ive been testing Scarlet Cowgirl versus a han shoots first variant and its hard. that 360 firing arc on the falcon is murder - i have to keep my ties at med range unless im sure of a block. coordinating all ur ships onto han has worked best for me but u have to stay out of close range or u will take a pounding. i think the hardest thing to adjust to with this list is keeping the academy pilots out of the rough stuff and be quite defensive with them early on... ur firspray and/or shuttlebus should draw enemy fire away from them but only if they r at long range from enemy ships themselves.

Thanks.

Now that I've played it, I understand what you're saying. It's a lot of fun to play once things get going. I think it will be more fun once I get some more practice in. And even more fun when I start winning with it.  :) 

Rebels: X-Wing (4), B-Wing (3), Y-Wing (1), A-Wing (1), YT-1300 (1), HWK-290 (1), GR-75 (1), CR-90 (1)

Imperials: TIE-Fighter (5), TIE Advanced (1), TIE Bomber (1), TIE Interceptor (3), Firespray-31 (1), Lamda Shuttle (1)

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." ~ Isaac Asimov

#131 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

nice report ringo. ive been testing Scarlet Cowgirl versus a han shoots first variant and its hard. that 360 firing arc on the falcon is murder - i have to keep my ties at med range unless im sure of a block. coordinating all ur ships onto han has worked best for me but u have to stay out of close range or u will take a pounding. i think the hardest thing to adjust to with this list is keeping the academy pilots out of the rough stuff and be quite defensive with them early on... ur firspray and/or shuttlebus should draw enemy fire away from them but only if they r at long range from enemy ships themselves.

Thanks.

Now that I've played it, I understand what you're saying. It's a lot of fun to play once things get going. I think it will be more fun once I get some more practice in. And even more fun when I start winning with it.  :)

ur welcome - i try to keep my actions with the academy pilots to evade or focus early in the game and use the focus for defense if they attack me. evade if u r REALLY worried bout getting overwhelmed - say at close range or if ur academy is likely to face multiple attacks. be cautious about K-Turning as getting stressed and losing ur action taking ability could be fatal, esp early in the battle. be patient. wait for the opportunity to go on attack with the academy pilots - you just might be able to barrel roll into a close range shot or get off a long range shot backed up with a focus action when they have spent their own focus/evade token from you large ships attacking them earlier in the turn :)

one of the treasons i love this squad is it takes skill to use it well. ur ships are like key chess pieces - they all have an imp role to play. having 3 diff ship types in the same squad is awesome. u really appreciate the agility of the tie-fighters when u r flying them next to a shuttlebus.

my plan with this list is to play quite defensively early on with academy pilots and Kath - who chip away with annoying attacks but dont get in too close to the action. My hipposhuttlemus tries to flank hard with all guns blazing and hopefully cut a hole in their force before boosting away and repositioning for another assault - meanwhile Kath and academies continue to harass the enemy with hit and roll tactics from med-long range.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 21 February 2014 - 01:48 PM.

• JasonVoorhees, jasonkw and SableGryphon like this

Lord Vader

#132 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Pretty sure that every match that I have won with this list is engagement round at range 2-3 and defensive actions, 1 range 1 round, and then scatter. 

#133 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:37 AM

i went 1-1 today with Scarlet Cowgirl at our LGS League.

i faced a tie-swarm which had 2 avenger squadron pilots as well as a BSP with vet instincts and doom shuttle with howlrunner.

i was rather unlucky and my firespray got 'hung-up' on his shuttle when he failed to move clear of my own base (i was attempting to move slowly fwd and shoot him with my rear arc) - it was a fortuitous mistake by him that helped him get in two close range shots to cripple Kath early in the game - despite this i flew pretty well and made a fight of it b4 kath was inevitably destroyed - she had taken massive damage including TWO crits which reduced her agility to zero and i survived for two turns with his intercepters trying to get ONE shot in on me which he finally did on the 3rd turn after i was barrel rolling all over the place to get out of arc or at least stay at long range of his chasing intercepter. reduced to 1Hull+Zero agility! i know id have faired much better if kath had of got to move past his shuttle. my own shuttle was a beast and all but held things together dishing out consistent damage and nearly single handedly taking out vaders shuttle. he stalled at a key turn buying him a round before the game ended, a clever move by him as i was right on his tail with my own shuttle. was a really fun game - his dice were hot early but then he hit a cold patch towards the end.

game2 was versus XXXX - Garven Dreis plus 3 red squadron pilots. my dice were hot this game and thanks largely to my shuttlebus he was cut to pieces alarmingly fast!

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 23 February 2014 - 11:33 AM.

• Euph3m1sm likes this

Lord Vader

#134 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

7 pages. Wow. Everyone loves it.
  • JasonVoorhees and polmoneys like this

#135 Jisforjets

Jisforjets

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Played in our monthly Xwing tourney, 3 games.

Every game I felt like my dials were the most important part of the game. My asteroid placement had me putting the first big rock(initiative 3 times) ~3 range from opponents edge and my board right/left. My asteroid placement resulted in a staggered line vertical and horizontal. Asteroids hurt me more every game than my opponents. I maneuvered through them fine but I seldom had the board helping me. My first game was the only match I landed on space rocks.

1st game
Me; Kath EH RC, OMG FCS Gunner EU, 2xAcademy
Opponent; howlrunner evasive maneuvering, 4x scimatar clusters

Kath deployed opposite corner his formation. Ties central, shuttle apotimus across from bomber formation. I limped in with ties banking and rolling. Bombers turned two(stressing) right off the bat headed towards Kath. Kath went straight forward at a good clip. My opponent tried to focus down Kath first which let my ties and lambplanet pick off a bomber. Kath is very good at range 3 barrel roll control. My albino ham ship did some aggressive blocking, resulting in landing on asteroids twice, still netting no fire arcs for bombers. My ties got behind. Eventually we went to time . I lost a tie fighter maybe should have lost another. Managed to down two scimatars and howlrunner. Basically kath at range 3 and denying fire arcs won me the game on time. Good first tournament game for my first outing with the Scarlett Cowgirl.

#136 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

I played a very compelling match today using another "Variant", since it takes the Cow out "variant" is a bit of a misnomer. 

Kath + EH + Captive + Seismic

Backstabber

Nightbeast

Academy

Academy

Backstabber + Nightbeast gives this list similar punch to the shuttle (4-7 dice vs. 3-4 dice + gunner).  Ties block well.  Nightbeast and Backstabber with 3 AG, Focus, and Nightbeast having Focus and Evade often is just as durable, more flexible, and more maneuverable than the great void hipposhuttlebus.   Love Scarlet Cowgirl but this one flys a whole lot easier.

• The_Brown_Bomber and SableGryphon like this

#137 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

I played a very compelling match today using another "Variant", since it takes the Cow out "variant" is a bit of a misnomer. 

Kath + EH + Captive + Seismic

Backstabber

Nightbeast

Academy

Academy

Backstabber + Nightbeast gives this list similar punch to the shuttle (4-7 dice vs. 3-4 dice + gunner).  Ties block well.  Nightbeast and Backstabber with 3 AG, Focus, and Nightbeast having Focus and Evade often is just as durable, more flexible, and more maneuverable than the great void hipposhuttlebus.   Love Scarlet Cowgirl but this one flys a whole lot easier.

nice. i love how ppl are branching out a bit with variations that suit their play style.

• SableGryphon likes this

Lord Vader

#138 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

I'm glad we could develop something that is worth modifying and tinkering with. :)

nice. i love how ppl are branching out a bit with variations that suit their play style.

I'm really kind of stalled on new list creations right now. I've explored all the existing avenues. I'm really, really ready for new ships to drop. :)

• DraconPyrothayan and polmoneys like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#139 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

I'm glad we could develop something that is worth modifying and tinkering with. :)

I'm really kind of stalled on new list creations right now. I've explored all the existing avenues. I'm really, really ready for new ships to drop. :)

yeah im a bit the same Sable.G - ready for something new.

here is a variant i posted on another thread, id be interested in your thoughts.

Kath Scarlet + Expert Handling (40)

Omicron Group Pilot + Fire Control System + Gunner + Engine Upgrade (32)

Omicron Group Pilot + Darth Vader + Engine Upgrade (28)

Total = 100pts

In theory - If any one of these ships gets close to destruction it can escape to the far reaches of the board while the other two engage the enemy. My plan is to use hit and run style tactics and keep my most damaged ship furthest from the action. Vader Shuttle with boost gives it more legs to last till the end game and doesnt put it on a clock to destroy itself immediately - instead it can try to flank name pilots that dont have shields.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 26 February 2014 - 11:51 PM.

Lord Vader

#140 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

yeah im a bit the same Sable.G - ready for something new.

here is a variant i posted on another thread, id be interested in your thoughts.

Kath Scarlet + Expert Handling (40)

Omicron Group Pilot + Fire Control System + Gunner + Engine Upgrade (32)

Omicron Group Pilot + Darth Vader + Engine Upgrade (28)

Total = 100pts

In theory - If any one of these ships gets close to destruction it can escape to the far reaches of the board while the other two engage the enemy. My plan is to use hit and run style tactics and keep my most damaged ship furthest from the action. Vader Shuttle with boost gives it more legs to last till the end game and doesnt put it on a clock to destroy itself immediately - instead it can try to flank name pilots that dont have shields.

You know, I would switch Darth Vader out for Advanced Sensors. Now you have an extra mobile Kath who is a huge threat, one alabaster void bison in buzzsaw configuration, and one hyper-mobile ghostly star cow. I think it's a pretty fun list and I certainly like it better than Vader. I might give it a try myself this Friday.

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS