Developing List: A Scarlet Cowgirl

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#41 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

But if I'm anticipating flying against lots of action denial squads, like swarms or rebel convoy, what good does an engine do? Yorr will likely be trapped in the fray anyway, so I'm not going to want to boost out, just accept the action denial and stay where I can get shots off with a free target lock with a gunner.
  • berusplants likes this

#42 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Good questions. :)

First, Engine Upgrade lets you flank. Instead of going right into the fray, you can quickly arc in from the side or even rear of the enemy. It's much more advantageous to have this massive weapons platform behind your enemy, since it can engage more fully and chase your enemy (trust me, it's terrifying to have a weapons platform like this to your rear). This means you can engage longer and concentrate more on a single target instead of targets of opportunity.

Second, EU allows you to fully break away from combat. When the craft starts to take a pounding, you can quickly disengage and travel further than almost any other craft in the game. This can allow you to turn around (quickly because of the Engine Upgrade). Further, if your enemy gets target fixated on the shuttle, they may try to chase it down, allowing your remaining ships to hound them.

Third, asteroid navigation. Remember, when you attempt to boost and you hit an asteroid, you are unable to complete that boost and must choose another action. That means you can move into an asteroid field with impunity. If you attempt to boost and can't, you still get your action and you know what movement not to take the next round. If you can complete it, you've moved safely and in better position. Why does this matter against action denial lists? They can easily be foiled by asteroids and it protects your flanks.

In essence, Engine Upgrade allows you lots of valuable tactical options.

• The_Brown_Bomber, Kelvan, JasonVoorhees and 1 other like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray-31s, 5 Lambdas

5 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 2 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 CR-90 Corvette

#43 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

But if I'm anticipating flying against lots of action denial squads, like swarms or rebel convoy, what good does an engine do? Yorr will likely be trapped in the fray anyway, so I'm not going to want to boost out, just accept the action denial and stay where I can get shots off with a free target lock with a gunner.

Engine helps both with flanks and more often when you're hurt and need to get out of town.

That being said you're right and I often prefer engine with sensors to help combat blocking.

A boost and then a move is quite powerful on a shuttle.

#44 JasonVoorhees

JasonVoorhees

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

I've been thinking about this for a bit today since I had a convo with a guy at the local store abut wave 4. I was explaining the basics of this list to him, he's not big on the game and only knows the basics, and he was thinking that the new Ion Pulse missile will shred this list because it kills half of the ships.  I told him that he could make a list any time and proxy those missiles and I'd still blow his doors off. 

I'm sure the introduction of new cards will change things, but tactics work because of how the player moves and reacts to opponent movement. There have been 3 waves and there are tons of theories about what works. I love dropping the cowgirl and her albino brahma bull on people, watching them ask me to explain how the space whale is so good is always a favorite question.

sorry about the rant. I'm gonna go sit on the bench now coach.

• The_Brown_Bomber likes this

Imperial: 11 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 3 Firespray-31s, 3 Lambda Shuttles
Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 3 A-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 B-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s

#45 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

No, you are quite right. Ion Pulse Missiles will be a threat. The trick is that both Kath and the Albino Solar Kangaroo have abilities to move as an action. The ship may be ioned, but as long as the ship isn't stressed, it can either barrel roll or boost afterwards still. And since the missiles are discarded after the attack, it's difficult to dominate this list with them. It'll hurt, yes, but it's not a death sentence. Good thing to think about.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray-31s, 5 Lambdas

5 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 2 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 CR-90 Corvette

#46 JasonVoorhees

JasonVoorhees

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Having thought about it for a good while and realizing what you said Sable, I don't think they will be major problem, but something to focus on. There are many options for a delivery system for that missile but none of them really worry me. If the list and the player is strong enough to take me with the missiles then he probably could have without the missiles. Just one more thing on the list to prioritize.

• SableGryphon likes this

Imperial: 11 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 3 Firespray-31s, 3 Lambda Shuttles

#47 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

I ran BH+ recon+ seismicsx2 and Vader shuttle before this list and it's solid. Engine upgrade might be better off than seismics as one more round of Vader shooting is at least as much damage and probably more. It gets pounded pretty hard by multi bwing lists (but what doesn't?).

Ion pulse isn't really a concern for the above reasons unless munitions fail safe allows you to keep them somehow. Even then it's really only a problem for the shuttle and, if they are waiting til the end game to constantly pummel the shuttle from behind with them, you were probably losing anyway.

This list certainly survives wave 4. Buzz saw shuttle or Vader shuttle kills a bandit a round at same PS. BH's shoot first and can also kill one a round. And the phantom... Doesn't kill us any worse than it kills everything else.

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 14 February 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#48 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

my latest variant:

Kath Scarlet + Expert Handling + Rebel Captive + Seismic Charges (45)

Omicron Group Pilot + FCS + Gunner + Intelligence Agent + Engine Upgrade (33)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Proton Torpedoes + Seismic Charges (22)

changes ive made?

• dropped 2 academy pilots and replaced with a single bomber (6 hull)
  • added seismic charges to Kath + bomber
  • bomber also gets proton torps

one less ship but the bomber is twice as durable (but 1 less agility) as a tie-fighter and has additional early punch with torps and charges.

Intelligence Agent on shuttle should actually help to drop those seismic's and get max effect from them.

thoughts?

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 14 February 2014 - 11:32 AM.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#49 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

I like it. You'll have to let me know how it does. :) Meanwhile, I'll ponder on it and see what insights I can provide.

#50 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

I like it. You'll have to let me know how it does. :) Meanwhile, I'll ponder on it and see what insights I can provide.

:) Sable.G - Like u I am finding it hard to remember to use my intelligence agent :( with seismic charges it should help trigger using it as i am always going to be thinking 'is this a good time to drop a seismic ?'

These changes are based on the testing i have done with the standard Scarlet Cowgirl version. What I love about 2x Academy Pilot is they r so manouvreable and they give this squad some flexibility with their flanking/blocking - its just sometimes they get taken out too early - if u play defensively with them by keeping them at long range and using evade more, sure you can keep them on the table longer but they are still vulnerable to early destruction, even at long range from any 3 attack dice ship (B-Wing, X-Wing, Falcon) and if u are playing them at long range with evade they are not as effective on offense are they?

With the bombers durability he is hard to one-shot in one round early on so i should be able to get off those torps - the plan would be to fire last in the round at a target that has had its shields shredded by my heavy hitters - this would give me a chance of inflicting an early critical. If they ignore my bomber i might wait a bit before using the torps and have time to set up with a focused shot with them but in all likelihood they will be launched early in the battle.

I am not very experienced with seismic charges but i have read here how effective they can be at getting in that extra few points of damage so i am willing to give them a try here.

My regular club group meets next weekend so ill give it a test run then and post up results here.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 14 February 2014 - 12:02 PM.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#51 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

So, the problem I have with the Intel Agent is that it's not something you are using every round. Because it's Range 1-2, you aren't going to get to use it until ~Round 3, at which point you are already in a rhythm. You're eager to get movement going. It's just... rare that I remember it those times when I have a chance at using it.

I really need to figure out something to act as a reminder. Maybe keep a copy of Intel Agent with my dials so I remember.

As for seismics, they are great little toys. I usually keep them (unless the craft is heavily damaged) until later in the game just to increase the chance my opponent forgets about them.

• Rakky Wistol likes this

#52 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

No, you are quite right. Ion Pulse Missiles will be a threat. The trick is that both Kath and the Albino Solar Kangaroo have abilities to move as an action. The ship may be ioned, but as long as the ship isn't stressed, it can either barrel roll or boost afterwards still. And since the missiles are discarded after the attack, it's difficult to dominate this list with them. It'll hurt, yes, but it's not a death sentence. Good thing to think about.

New favorite Shuttle reference.

• stegocent, JasonVoorhees and SableGryphon like this

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#53 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

I cant help but wonder if the Proton+Seismic wouldn't be better off as a Proton Bomb instead.

#54 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

my latest variant:

Kath Scarlet + Expert Handling + Rebel Captive + Seismic Charges (45)

Omicron Group Pilot + FCS + Gunner + Intelligence Agent + Engine Upgrade (33)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Proton Torpedoes + Seismic Charges (22)

changes ive made?

• dropped 2 academy pilots and replaced with a single bomber (6 hull)
  • added seismic charges to Kath + bomber
  • bomber also gets proton torps

one less ship but the bomber is twice as durable (but 1 less agility) as a tie-fighter and has additional early punch with torps and charges.

Intelligence Agent on shuttle should actually help to drop those seismic's and get max effect from them.

thoughts?

well, i would suggest a change, drop bomb on kath for a gamma bomber

A gamma is way more likely to have a ship it can target lock early as 1's,2's,3's and potentially 4's will move before it does.

#55 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

bear in mind i dislike missiles without both target lock and focus.

#56 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

I really need to figure out something to act as a reminder. Maybe keep a copy of Intel Agent with my dials so I remember.

What if you put a token of an unused type next to the ship base? When you go to move the ship you might see it there and wonder/remember why that token is there.
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#57 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

I think maybe you could take a critical token, color it with a black sharpie, then either use a white paint pen or use rub on transfer letters to put and IA on it.. I think I will be doing this for some of mine.. Marksman, the droids maybe a couple others.. nice reminders

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#58 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

I think maybe you could take a critical token, color it with a black sharpie, then either use a white paint pen or use rub on transfer letters to put and IA on it.. I think I will be doing this for some of mine.. Marksman, the droids maybe a couple others.. nice reminders

But what if I need that critical hit token later? I only have about 60 of them!

• oneway, stegocent, JasonVoorhees and 2 others like this

#59 JasonVoorhees

JasonVoorhees

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

In that case, just to be sure you have all of the crit tokens you will need you will have to just write it in marker across the back of your hand. That way every time you do anything you will notice that you have an agent to use. Plus you get the added bonus of everyone asking you about it, so that will reinforce the mind to remember.

Edited by JasonVoorhees, 15 February 2014 - 03:52 PM.

• oneway likes this

#60 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

But what if I need that critical hit token later? I only have about 60 of them!

I know, I know... it's just a risk we'll have to take, I was looking at the pile of them I have, and wondering that myself

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS