The Road Darkens (Saga) News!

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#101 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

I didn't think we would ever see a Gandalf hero, but based on the verbiage on Glamdring I now think we will. Secrecy had better get a big boost by then though because basically if you want to run Gandalf, that's about all you should get. Based on his ally stats alone he would come in at 17 and that doesn't count his ability. I'll be fine with that, but I really hope for ally versions of the rest of the fellowship.
  • Gizlivadi likes this
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#102 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

Gandalf would bring some baggage to be sure, but couldn't the same be said of Elrond? I like this explanation, that his ally is representative of his ability to show up when most needed. Gandalf would be a challenge, but I hope FFG doesn't back down from it, if not in this expansion then at some point. 

I think the "pop in / pop out" Gandalf mechanic works best with his appearances in The Hobbit, but he could certainly take more of a traditional Hero or Ally form based more on his other appearances.  I second what you say about Elrond.  Many of the heroes bring some kind of baggage with them if you think of them only thematically.

My main point is that Gandalf is not some uber-God-like entity who can never be contained in a card.  He's a powerful character who could form the backbone of a group, but he's not unlike many other "anchor" heroes.  "Anchor" meaning the often multi-funtional, often high-defense hero that provides the muscle to allow the deck and other heroes to work, especially in the early game.  I'd classify Elrond, Dain, and Aragorn as other "anchor" heroes.  Gandalf could fit safely in their camp.

• Chris51261 likes this

#103 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Just for fun, here are some non-uber Gandalf concepts:  

Gandalf (Spirit):  

Threat:  12

Will:  3

Attack:  2

Defense:  2

HP:  5

Response:  When you play an ally from your hand, if your threat is 20 or less, draw a card.  This ability may be triggered by any player once per round.

Gandalf (Lore):  

Threat:  11

Will:  2

Attack:  1

Defense:  3

Action:  Discard a card from your hand to add 1 resource to another hero's resource pool.  Limit once per round.

Gandalf (Tactics):  

Threat:  12

Defense:  3

Sentinel

Gandalf may be declared as a defender with any other eligible defender against an enemy attack.

Gandalf (Leadership):  

Threat:  11

Defense:  2

Action:  Exhaust Gandalf to choose and ready another character.

• philosophant likes this

#104 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, Gandalf definitely doesn't have to be amazingly powerful. Remember, this game is taking place between The Hobbit and LotR, right? So Gandalf's most recent exploits include...throwing pinecones while trapped in a tree... :) I love the ally versions of him, but it seems like as good a time as ever to release the hero, what with his great battle against the Balrog coming up.

#105 Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, Gandalf definitely doesn't have to be amazingly powerful. Remember, this game is taking place between The Hobbit and LotR, right? So Gandalf's most recent exploits include...throwing pinecones while trapped in a tree... :) I love the ally versions of him, but it seems like as good a time as ever to release the hero, what with his great battle against the Balrog coming up.

Your last sentence is key.  If Gandalf the Grey is going to be a hero in this game, this is the where it will happen.  After this Saga expansion, we're in the realm of Gandalf the White.

• Chris51261 likes this

#106 Jekzer

Jekzer

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Your last sentence is key.  If Gandalf the Grey is going to be a hero in this game, this is the where it will happen.  After this Saga expansion, we're in the realm of Gandalf the White.

It's a bit strange, if we see a hero version of Gandalf the Grey, then will we see another when he becomes the White? 2 Gandalfs between 1 or 2 saga expansions?

I think he fits more the role of an Objective Ally (maybe a Boon?) that will be discarded by the end of the second scenario.

Although if he's going to be a hero, and the game "discards" him from a thematic perspective, we'll be forced to kill one hero from our pool, raise our threat by one for the next scenarios...but yeah, maybe  I'm over-thinking a bit, haha.

#107 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Gandalf seems quite logical now, but to me all bets are off.
Anybody is possible, as long as it is a character in this part of the book.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#108 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Has everyone overlooked new keyword on that uruk-hai bow"man"? Toughness 1, what is it?

#109 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

This is a saga expansion, so it's taking place during the time frame of LotR.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#110 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Has everyone overlooked new keyword on that uruk-hai bow"man"? Toughness 1, what is it?

In Warhammer: Invasion the Toughness X keyword makes the unit cancel X recieved damage regardless of its source.

In LotR it may work in a similar way - either a flat out damage reduction regardless of the source (so that you need 1 more combat damage than just enemy's defense + health to defeat it), or just a direct damage reduction (Gandalf's response doing X less damage and so on).

Edited by klaymen_sk, 10 February 2014 - 12:56 PM.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#111 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

To all people talking about Frodo being ring-bearer again and also to those guys speculating about 2nd hero. Who said 2nd hero is not another ring-bearer? Just joking.

The quests look nicely, but I am disappointed with 2 things.
1st: This saga only has as many player cards as adventure pack.
2nd: The player cards art is getting worse. But on the other side, encounter cards art is getting so much better. They made a big decision that sagas will be mostly about quests. I hope they made good decision.

#112 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

It was mentioned somewhere, maybe on COTR Facebook.  My guess is something like the Nazgul from Morgul Vale, where damage is reduced by 1, or maybe he lowers defender's defense?  Should be cool either way

#113 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Am I the only one who actually thinks the card art has improved? In the past it was only Magali Villeneuve omg so spectacular realistic & epic... Don't get me wrong, I really like her art but I don't think it should be used for everything. I like the more, well, "artsy" art, as in less digital, for a change. And as always Jim Pavelec really brings that forward with his new Balrog.

• John85 likes this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#114 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Offtopic: how was atacama Gizlivadi??

Edit: on second thought, maybe I should PM you with such a question...

Edited by Noccus, 10 February 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#115 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'm going to Atacama in February 13th actually, so I still can't answer that! I just came back from Colico lake though, which, for someone who doesn't travel all that much, is definately one of the most beautiful places I've been to. It's one of those very exclusive and secluded lakes all the way to the south (I'm lucky to have rich cousins who received me in their lake house). Reminds me a lot of Middle earth actually. 

#116 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Lol, I just sent you a PM! And in my best written Spanish.

Colico doesn't ring a bell. And I've been all over the south.
Google! Maps! Image search!

#117 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

That Balrog is awesome. I said that only player cards art is getting worse, at least it is worse in TTT(3 trials) and TRD. Elrond is just disgusting- the background is nice but king of elves himself looks badly. And then Bilbo. It is something new and original until you see his face in the window.

#118 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

It seems likely that Boromir is one of the heroes, so that new players with just the core set and first black riders box will then have every character from the fellowship on-hand.

#119 John85

John85

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Am I the only one who actually thinks the card art has improved? In the past it was only Magali Villeneuve omg so spectacular realistic & epic... Don't get me wrong, I really like her art but I don't think it should be used for everything. I like the more, well, "artsy" art, as in less digital, for a change. And as always Jim Pavelec really brings that forward with his new Balrog.

This Gizli, rem acu tetigisti! (for me you hit the nail on the head!) I think this art is GREAT! The one Frodo looks sickly but, hello, Morgul wound! Boromir also looks rather deranged and overly messed up in the treacheries, but I think that's alright too. And, as you noted, the new Balrog! WOW!! I <3 it (and no wings that I can see!) Really good stuff (IMO).

#120 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Funnily enough, I just remembered that a long while ago I wondered if they were gonna make a Lotr LCG version of this: Fellowship.jpg

And I thought that the LOTR The Confrontation art would be perfect. Glad I had my wish granted, and even the ability's similar.

• shipwreck and danpoage like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS