The Road Darkens (Saga) News!

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#41 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

The Glamdring response still just references an attached character. I am betting the developers do not want Gandalf (OHaUH) at 6 attack if you are able to keep him in play for these scenarios, but I guess that did not bother them in Hobbit scenarios.

I'd be pretty shocked to see him as the hero, since playing multiplayer games it would pretty much make any the Gandalfs in other players decks useless, and if all you have is the core, BR, and this, Gandaf from core is going to be a big part of the other decks at the table.

Some things that make me lean slightly toward the possibility of him being a Hero would be that there is only one other hero in the saga which makes it seem like it should be an epic hero, and that it would be pretty cool to have him square off against the Balrog in the 2nd scenario. Glamdring seems to point in that direction too, but even with all this I think it unlikely.

Now Gandalf the White in the next saga as hero or ally is a real possbility.
  • Mndela likes this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#42 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

New Elrond ally becomes the absolute ugliest card in the game (even uglier than brand son of ugly). 

Lol, he seems Steven Seagal

steven-segal-umilit-la-concertul-tiesto-     elrond.png

Edited by Mndela, 06 February 2014 - 05:14 PM.

• Chris51261, DevastazioneH88, camacazio and 1 other like this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#43 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

I'd be pretty shocked to see him as the hero, since playing multiplayer games it would pretty much make any the Gandalfs in other players decks useless, and if all you have is the core, BR, and this, Gandaf from core is going to be a big part of the other decks at the table.

and that's exactly what would balance an "epic" hero.

#44 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

As a tracker1 says, Gandalf is good as a hero, BUT, maybe only as a saga hero (like Bilbo in 'The Hobbit', Frodo last and this expansion...) maybe next saga expansion.... :)

Edited by Mndela, 06 February 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#45 Legoland

Legoland

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Realy great, can´t wait to get this^^

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” LotR The fellowship of the ring

#46 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

There's been a minor change to Glamdring's text:

Original Hobbit Saga: "Attach to a hero or Gandalf."

New Version: "Attach to a Warrior hero or Gandalf."

But then the kicker...

Original Version: "Attached character gets +2ATK."
New Version: "Attached hero gets +2ATK."

:)

Doesn't this confirm Gandalf as a hero? You obviously wouldn't attach Glamdring to a Gandalf Ally, and I would assume they would leave the language as character if there was no Gandalf hero.
  • Chris51261 likes this

#47 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

I agree with Dain.  I doubt we get a third version of Boromir (especially one that would likely be out of place in a Lore or Spirit sphere) when we only have one version of Legolas and Gimli - both of whom are Tactics.  If anything, my strongest guess goes to a Lore version of Legolas as the other hero card.  It is possible that Gandalf could be the other hero but also unlikely since, thematically, he will be defeated at the end of the second quest.  Alternatively, FFG could go all crazy on us and reveal a hero that none of us would ever expect (such as Grima in the Voice of Isengard.)  

Hey! I expected Grima! Even more, I PRAYED it would be Grima! 

Totally and utterly dissapointed by only 1 hero in the box. I can't find any excuse for this. Heroes are main engine of the game, and saga boxes were their main provider... and now... Well. My sincere hope is they didn't screwed up with this one hero left.

Also, extremely loved this Fallen into Evil trechery. Turning a hero into the enemy - super cool!

On a side note, ally Elrond and Grima would work extremely well together.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 06 February 2014 - 06:19 PM.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#48 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

I agree with Dain.  I doubt we get a third version of Boromir (especially one that would likely be out of place in a Lore or Spirit sphere) when we only have one version of Legolas and Gimli - both of whom are Tactics.  If anything, my strongest guess goes to a Lore version of Legolas as the other hero card.  It is possible that Gandalf could be the other hero but also unlikely since, thematically, he will be defeated at the end of the second quest.  Alternatively, FFG could go all crazy on us and reveal a hero that none of us would ever expect (such as Grima in the Voice of Isengard.)  

Hey! I expected Grima! Even more, I PRAYED it would be Grima! 

My apologies, I must have just been speaking for myself!  I just always thought of him as a little Wormtongue, now he'll be a hero that I'm excited to use.  Hurry up VoI!!!

#49 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Cannot wait to link those 2 boxes in campaign mode………..should be very cool! But no Boons cards! i don't like them! They are to powerful and make game to easy! I don't understand it actually…….why this boons cards to broken??????

Anyway see how it goes in Hobbit NM. MAybe then is going to be ok!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#50 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Cannot wait to link those 2 boxes in campaign mode………..should be very cool! But no Boons cards! i don't like them! They are to powerful and make game to easy! I don't understand it actually…….why this boons cards to broken??????

Anyway see how it goes in Hobbit NM. MAybe then is going to be ok!

Mithril Shirt is too powerful? Ummm....not really! ;)

#51 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

I've always been very understanding of why there is not a Gandalf hero but... pleaaaaase let that other hero be Gandalf! =D

#52 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

Really curious about that Glamdring wording now, although I feel as though as it could simply just be a typo with such matter of fact wording.

Also, 11 hours later, I'm still completely disappointed theres only going to be 1 hero.  I truly hope the saga expansions after this do not follow this same recipe.  Even from a marketing stand point its bizarre...the saga expansions are promoted for newer players or players that are not looking for the deep involvement of the the current deluxe and cycle releases whom may only have the core set.  Releasing a product that only gives 1 additional hero keeps their pool of choices incredibly shallow besides the fact that one can conjecture that its potentially even a rip off to provide 1/4 of the gameplay options a normal saga expansion provides.

It hasnt even been a full day yet and I'm already desperately hoping they'll release another piece of news that this was all a big mistake....  Next time someone interviews Caleb, I would love to hear the reason behind this decision...and then tear the logic to threads through the anonymity of a message board :/

Also, those wishing to see the fellowship members as the allies I think may be disappointed as well.  On the description page it states that there are 4 unique allies among the player cards.  With Elrond and Bilbo already spoiled that only leaves 2 ally spots and the hero spot to fill out the remaining 5 members of the fellowship (Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Gandalf)  two of them are getting left out one way or another.

Edited by Pharmboys2013, 07 February 2014 - 12:50 AM.

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#53 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

I´m excited about all the new artwork. Think it all looks great and who cares of a few have been reused?

Also if I had to choose between a lot of new heroes and a lot of new ally, attachment and event cards, my vote will go for the latter any day of the week. I feel I have plenty of heroes already and while new heroes are nice from time to time they just mean less opportunity to be used in decks since heroes are a much more limited type of card.

• John85 likes this

#54 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

New Elrond ally becomes the absolute ugliest card in the game (even uglier than brand son of ugly). 

Lol, he seems Steven Seagal

I thought the exact same thing but could not remember his name...

#55 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

This has happened before!

med_mirlonde-tdf.jpg

300px-B5_lochley.jpg

tscoggins2.jpg

Edited by booored, 07 February 2014 - 05:58 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#56 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:21 AM

I've always been very understanding of why there is not a Gandalf hero but... pleaaaaase let that other hero be Gandalf! =D

For the Hobbit yes i agree and i was pleased of how they made Gandalf.In the Hobbit he comes and goes and the story is based on the Dwarves.But in LOTR  Gandalf is not only a hero, he is THE hero.

He was the leader and the savior(Moria) of the company.He frees Theoden from Saruman's spells, saves the day at Helms Deep and the fall of Gondor was sure if he wasn't there.In a few words no Gandalf no hope for the free peoples.

That being said a Gandalf hero is a must for the Lotr saga.

#57 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

This has happened before!

med_mirlonde-tdf.jpg

300px-B5_lochley.jpg

tscoggins2.jpg

Magali copy his drawings from real people, of course. Sure.

#58 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

All we know Imladris (a lot of players not name this card 'Imladris' or 'Stargazer', they name it directly 'Scarlett') since long time ago:

ffg_imladris-stargazer-fos.jpg  Scarlett-Johansson-sexy-as-Black-Widow-i

Edited by Mndela, 07 February 2014 - 06:40 AM.

#59 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:06 AM

this should be its own thread... "separated at birth" :P

• tomtom likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#60 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

this should be its own thread... "separated at birth" :P

Lol, yeah.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS