The Road Darkens (Saga) News!

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#21 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Bilbo's ETB is interesting.  Will we see more Pipe cards?

"Finally!" - Nalir the Dwarf

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#22 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

I don't think Frodo counts as one of the heroes, meaning it should be a pair of heroes. Either Boromir and Aragorn or Gimli and Legolas. Not Elrond, obviously. My bet is on Gondor.

#23 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

I hope i am wrong on this, but I am starting to think the 2nd hero will be Boromir. He is the only one of the fellowship other than Gandalf who does not have a hero card represented in the core or BR, and i would be surprised if they made him an ally.
Might be a fitting hero for the Road Darkens, and if he is it will probably be the last version that we see of him, since he is dead after the fellowship breaks, but then we would have a new hero that would not fit thematically for the rest of the saga expansions, but that might not matter since players can do what ever they want in regards to hero selection.
Although, it might be Gandalf, but i think my first guess is more likely then the wizard.

I honestly don't really see Boromir fitting in the Lore or Spirit sphere and I doubt FFG would make the same hero twice in the same sphere.

Well he will be in spirit after the 3rd scenario. Introducing the new low threat spirit Boromir, move aside Glorfindel!

But like i said I hope i am wrong.

Edited by Tracker1, 06 February 2014 - 01:47 PM.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#24 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

I don't think Frodo counts as one of the heroes, meaning it should be a pair of heroes. Either Boromir and Aragorn or Gimli and Legolas. Not Elrond, obviously. My bet is on Gondor.

The Saga heroes have always counted as 1 of the heroes when FFG lists the number of heroes - it is a hero card. There's only 1 other hero in this expansion. :)

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 06 February 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#25 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Ok, after checking the Black Riders description it seems like we will indeed get only one hero instead of four and only 9 player cards instead of 11. That's disappointing!

#26 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Ok, after checking the Black Riders description it seems like we will indeed get only one hero instead of four and only 9 player cards instead of 11. That's disappointing!

Hard to know if it's disappointing or not, we've not seen all the cards! Maybe the remaining will knock our socks off and we won't even notice there are fewer!

Or, we get more fun encounter cards to interact with.

Really, the Sagas (to me) aren't really about the player cards - but the quests/encounter cards and getting to play the books. That's their purpose.

Either way, should be a great expansion!

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 06 February 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#27 Kcall07

Kcall07

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by this news, and that rarely happens for me with this game.

I have no objection to duplicate heroes whatsoever. To me, they just increase your customisation options when you want to play as your favourite hero. At the moment the central heroes are so limited. Only one Legolas and Gimli since the game began. Ever since Lore Aragorn people have been objecting to duplicate heroes, and I feel the designers have neglected this to the detriment of the game. I want every corner of middle earth covered too, but I do not want to take Hirluin the Fair into Helm's deep. I think the game had focused too long on covering everything that the core feel of the books is now missing for me. I hoped this saga expansion would correct this and now I am truly disappointed.

I know we'll probably get every member of the fellowship as allies, and I like this idea, but I don't want them to sidestep the main heroes in the future. All I know is if I can't play a tri sphere three hunters deck by the next Saga box Ill be gutted.

Ps my vote goes to Gandalf as the Hero. Or at least I hope.
  • chuckles likes this
No man knows what the new day will bring

#28 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

Yay!  Can't wait for this.  Hope there are some other fellowship allies, as others have said.  And it looks like our new Ring-bearer is still Frodo.  Maybe that is to be expected from here on out: endless versions of Frodo the Ring-bearer, with one version of Sam toward the end. Maybe no "alternate Middle-earth" in which Legolas was the Ring-bearer. Should make rich happy!

Edited by GrandSpleen, 06 February 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#29 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Bilbo's ETB is interesting.  Will we see more Pipe cards?

Yes - though I would have liked this ability to be on a non unique ally instead. More pipes would be really Cool. 

Edited by chuckles, 06 February 2014 - 02:37 PM.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#30 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Not gonna lie, couldn't be more bummed we're only getting 1 legitimate hero in this box. I'll obviously still be looking forward to this expansion but the hype for it has dropped significantly for me personally
  • chuckles likes this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#31 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

I hope i am wrong on this, but I am starting to think the 2nd hero will be Boromir. He is the only one of the fellowship other than Gandalf who does not have a hero card represented in the core or BR, and i would be surprised if they made him an ally.
Might be a fitting hero for the Road Darkens, and if he is it will probably be the last version that we see of him, since he is dead after the fellowship breaks, but then we would have a new hero that would not fit thematically for the rest of the saga expansions, but that might not matter since players can do what ever they want in regards to hero selection.

Although, it might be Gandalf, but i think my first guess is more likely then the wizard.

It would make sense... especially as they market the saga as only needing the Core set... however it would be really interesting to see how they would portray him as I think that the current T'Boromir abilities are already a great fit thematically... and you can't just replicate his abilities for the Saga. 

Sudden controversial thought... what if the alternative ring bearer is a new Boromir (like an alternative what if universe Boromir, where Frodo HAD given him the ring?) - though that would make for non new non saga heroes. 

Edited by chuckles, 06 February 2014 - 02:38 PM.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#32 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

I agree with Dain.  I doubt we get a third version of Boromir (especially one that would likely be out of place in a Lore or Spirit sphere) when we only have one version of Legolas and Gimli - both of whom are Tactics.  If anything, my strongest guess goes to a Lore version of Legolas as the other hero card.  It is possible that Gandalf could be the other hero but also unlikely since, thematically, he will be defeated at the end of the second quest.  Alternatively, FFG could go all crazy on us and reveal a hero that none of us would ever expect (such as Grima in the Voice of Isengard.)  

Edited by Karlson, 06 February 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#33 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Favorite spoiled card so far goes to the new ally version of Elrond.  Wow, I can't wait for this to release. 

That Elrond is cool. Yet another nice target for Born Aloft. I don't think that Eagle-heavy builds are too popular anymore. But, if you were running 3x Elrond and 3x Gandalf (Core), it would be a nice synergy. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#34 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

There's been a minor change to Glamdring's text:

Original Hobbit Saga: "Attach to a hero or Gandalf."

New Version: "Attach to a Warrior hero or Gandalf."

But then the kicker...

Original Version: "Attached character gets +2ATK."

New Version: "Attached hero gets +2ATK."

:)

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 06 February 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#35 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

They reused Treasure Glamdring art!

#36 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Thought I'd pop both cards up so everyone can compare them real quick.  I do like the new one quite a bit better.  It shows off more of Gandalf's epic hat and it's much brighter.  I'm still wondering why it didn't receive new artwork altogether though.  

med_glamdring-ohauh.jpg    glamdring.png

#37 OnkelZorni

OnkelZorni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

First of all, I don't see the point why there are so many people are disappointed bout the number of heroes. We already have nearly 50(!!). It's absolutly unnecessary to throw next bunch of 'em at us players.

Second:

Original Version: "Attached character gets +2ATK."

New Version: "Attached hero gets +2ATK."

THIS is something I hope is just a mistake. I really don't want to see (never in my entire life!!) a Gandalf hero. Really, this wizard is a great guy and he's one of my favourite characters, but he's definetly not a hero.

• MechaBri.Zilla likes this

#38 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

New Elrond ally becomes the absolute ugliest card in the game (even uglier than brand son of ugly). 

#39 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Great another deluxe with hardly any player card spoilers. I like the 2 we have seen.. but I really want more player cards please!

First of all, I don't see the point why there are so many people are disappointed bout the number of heroes. We already have nearly 50(!!). It's absolutly unnecessary to throw next bunch of 'em at us players.

Heroes are what make this game unique (besides the co-op thing) It is a major part of it and what drives most of the new deck ideas. This game has a criminally slow growth of player cards compared to the other LCGs. We get 9 cards about per pack, while other games get 20. In our deluxe expansions we get around 11-13+heroes.

Heroes are the MAIN driving force for varience in deck design... more of them are needed asap. Most LCGs get 20 cards a pack and 165 or so for deluxe expansions.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#40 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

MEC34-box-right.png

MEC34-cardfan-01.pngfrodo-baggins.pngMEC34-cardfan-05.pngthe-one-ring.pngfellowship-of-the-ring.pngMEC34-cardfan-04.pngelrond.pngbilbo-baggins.png

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS