#1 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4636

and the "About" page shows more!

http://www.fantasyfl...6&esem=1&epmi=s

Interestingly, only 1 hero in this pack (not counting Frodo).

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 06 February 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#2 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Yea I thought the low hero count was odd too. I love the allies spoiled on the About page. Elrond is another Condition attachment remover! He's like Gandalf for Lore because he has great stats, leaves after one round, and gives you three great options for what he can do. Other than each player drawing 1 card, though, his options are a bit more conditional, but they are still things that can be greatly appreciated. Healing 7 damage off of Beregond with Citadel Plate is always nice, though unlikely. Elrond is also nice, compared to Gandalf, because all of his options can potentially help teammates rather then just the player playing the card (Gandalf can deal 4 damage, which could help anyone too, but this is probably his least-used ability).

The Bilbo ally is also pretty nice because getting the Hobbit Pipes out before Smoke Rings can be a challenge.

• Dwarf king Bronze beard likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#3 Dwarf king Bronze beard

Dwarf king Bronze beard

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Looks awesome i really want to get that, but i have few questions: What are these saga expansions difference from those adventure packs and deluxe expansions and another question is: can i use those powerful attachments like Glamdring in another guests or only for this one. :)

#4 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

OH! Glamdring!!! i must have :rolleyes: .

Now give me Galadriel in he next saga and i will be the happiest  gamer in the world :D .

#5 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Looks awesome i really want to get that, but i have few questions: What are these saga expansions difference from those adventure packs and deluxe expansions and another question is: can i use those powerful attachments like Glamdring in another guests or only for this one. :)

Saga expansions have quests that meant to mimick the adventures in the book, whereas other quests are based on made-up stories intended to take place in a time between The Hobbit and the LotR trilogy. I also assume that you will not be able to use those spoiled attachments outside of the saga expansion's quests judging by how the other saga expansions worked.
  • Dwarf king Bronze beard likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#6 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

My hope that we get Fellowship allies grows.
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#7 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

Lots of thoughts:

Doesn't seem like we're getting an objective-enemy Boromir and maybe not even an objective ally Gandalf.  From the burdens spoiled, it looks like anyone in the fellowship could be corrupted by the ring.  I like this because it allows us to write our own adventures in Middle Earth, though it could lead to some interesting situations, in which Gimli tries to take the ring while Boromir stays strong. 

At the end of the Fellowship breaking quest, I think we'll have to choose Frodo and a couple of other heroes (maybe one per player) to be removed from the player's decks.  They'll sit out the next saga expansion, while the rest of the heroes will follow Aragorn's path.  In the first Two Towers expansion, you'll be allowed to add new heroes to your decks without a penalty.  Then, in Frodo and Sam's saga expansion, you'll be allowed to add Smeagol and Gollum to your fellowship (three heroes plus Frodo) and then continue play from there ;)

As many predicted, it seems like we're replaying Dwarrodwelf scenarios (Redhorn and Watcher in the first scenario and Long Dark and Shadow and Flame in the second).  I'm okay with this, and I trust that Caleb and Matt will have these scenarios feeling and playing differently. 

I also am okay with fewer heroes, as long as that means we get some fellowship members as allies.  Elrond and Bilbo are good, and if I had to guess, we'll get a Boromir ally since he's not in the core set and we don't need a third hero version of him.  I hope the other hero is Galadriel, who makes sense in this box and is long overdue in this game.

Q2 can't get here fast enough!

#8 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

Holy Smokes!  These last few days have been awesome for the new articles being released.  This next Saga Expansion definitely looks great, but from the onset, I'm a bit bummed about a few things.  Obviously only getting one hero (aside from the Saga-specific Frodo) is a bit of a letdown.  Any thoughts on who it could be?

This is also a complete and total nitpick, but the artwork for this new Campaign Mode Glamdring is the exact same as the art on the Treasure Card version in the Over Hill & Under Hill expansion.  That's the first time I've seen a card's artwork duplicated and it's a pity they didn't update it.  On that note, the artwork for the Fellowship of the Ring card comes directly from the game box of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.  Again, I would have liked to have seen brand new art.

But enough of my trivial complaints about artwork, I am totally hyped by these new articles.  I don't think for a second that any of the quests will feel like the ones we've already seen even though enemies like the Watcher in the Water and the Balrog are returning.  I am most interested in how they handle The Breaking of the Fellowship quest.  One idea that I have floating around my head is that they'll create a separate staging area for Frodo (on par with how Bilbo has a separate one for his Riddles in the Dark scene with Gollum) and then Frodo will be forced to deal with Boromir's attempt to seize the ring or perhaps some twilight world threats once he slips the ring on to escape.  Any thoughts on this?

Favorite spoiled card so far goes to the new ally version of Elrond.  Wow, I can't wait for this to release. 

• chuckles likes this

#9 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Cool! Thx for sharing.

Off to read the article :)
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#10 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

On that note, the artwork for the Fellowship of the Ring card comes directly from the game box of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.  

Favorite spoiled card so far goes to the new ally version of Elrond.  Wow, I can't wait for this to release. 

I knew I'd seen that art before!  Good eye.

We can finally stop putting that dwarf in all of our elf decks just for attachment removal.  The problem is my elf deck stars Elrond!

#11 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Great stuff!
That elrond ally is good indeed. Lot of options on him.

And is that Gollum I see peeping through the dark door on the box art??

#12 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

On that note, the artwork for the Fellowship of the Ring card comes directly from the game box of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.  

I knew I'd seen that art before!  Good eye.

We can finally stop putting that dwarf in all of our elf decks just for attachment removal.  The problem is my elf deck stars Elrond!

Yeah... so I'll still have that dwarf... except when I'm not playing elves  :blink:

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#13 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

One other minor item. Elrond was not drawn by Magali, who has done all of that family's art so far. Furthermore, I know that she did a number of pieces for the recent MtG set. So now I'm wondering if she's still doing art for FFG and if not, could that be Arwen on The Three Trials.

#14 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Aw only 1 new hero. I'm sure its going to be a great saga and all that, but lots of new hero's is one of the things that I most look forward to in the saga's  :(... (until seeing the rest of the cards... so currently my enthusiasm has taken a hit).  

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#15 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Edit: never mind.

Edited by Noccus, 06 February 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#16 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

One other minor item. Elrond was not drawn by Magali, who has done all of that family's art so far. Furthermore, I know that she did a number of pieces for the recent MtG set. So now I'm wondering if she's still doing art for FFG and if not, could that be Arwen on The Three Trials.

Ughhh... I certainly hope that is not Arwen... as that would make for one ugly, non Elven looking Elf... I think that I would rename her Arwen's half Elf/Dunedin not spoken of ranger sister. 

The Elrond Ally card is not looking that wonderful either... I hope that the card looks better than the photograph. 

#17 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

I hope i am wrong on this, but I am starting to think the 2nd hero will be Boromir. He is the only one of the fellowship other than Gandalf who does not have a hero card represented in the core or BR, and i would be surprised if they made him an ally.
Might be a fitting hero for the Road Darkens, and if he is it will probably be the last version that we see of him, since he is dead after the fellowship breaks, but then we would have a new hero that would not fit thematically for the rest of the saga expansions, but that might not matter since players can do what ever they want in regards to hero selection.

Although, it might be Gandalf, but i think my first guess is more likely then the wizard.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#18 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Holy Smokes! These last few days have been awesome for the new articles being released. This next Saga Expansion definitely looks great, but from the onset, I'm a bit bummed about a few things. Obviously only getting one hero (aside from the Saga-specific Frodo) is a bit of a letdown. Any thoughts on who it could be?

Eh? I think i read 2 new heroes?

Gonna check

Edit: it does say two heroes, but doesn't tell us anywhere if frodo is counted.
My gut says no, so I think we'll see 2 heroes like in a deluxe expansion.

Frodo would be 1 of the 2 heroes.

#19 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I hope i am wrong on this, but I am starting to think the 2nd hero will be Boromir. He is the only one of the fellowship other than Gandalf who does not have a hero card represented in the core or BR, and i would be surprised if they made him an ally.
Might be a fitting hero for the Road Darkens, and if he is it will probably be the last version that we see of him, since he is dead after the fellowship breaks, but then we would have a new hero that would not fit thematically for the rest of the saga expansions, but that might not matter since players can do what ever they want in regards to hero selection.

Although, it might be Gandalf, but i think my first guess is more likely then the wizard.

I honestly don't really see Boromir fitting in the Lore or Spirit sphere and I doubt FFG would make the same hero twice in the same sphere.

#20 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Yea, you're correct dain. I just reread it noticed as well.
It's a bummer though. Not 4, not 2 like in a deluxe expansion, but 1 as in a AP. :(

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS