Cog ’o' Two acryllic tokens mini-review

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

I want to share my first impression and pictures with this fine set of tokens, movement templates and range rulers from Cog 'o' Two.

I ordered the following sets:

• Imperial range ruler, green
  • Imperial short range ruler, green
  • Tokens, Premium set 2 (Ion, focus, evade, target locks etc.)

yty0nji1ntdjzmu4njmzowy5mtlintgwnwfmogm2

I wanted a set that covered most of the tokens in the game at a reasonable price. It also needed to look good :)

yzu2ndfjzwfjngzimtm1otu3yju3ndi1mjkxy2nk

As you can see there is a lot of fine detail on the images. This comes from a layer of white paint I added to all of the pieces. I did take some time (4-5 hours including removing the protective film after painting) but I am very happy with the end result.

ywnlztkznmu3mzvmywyymze2mdyxnjewnte2njmw

I ordered the green Imperial tokens and movement templates since I play a lot of Imperial squads. Notice the fine logos on the templates. I simply love those :)

zwu0ywrmytewyzg3mti2zjg1odczowuxotg1yji5

Unfortunately some of the pieces (about 1 in 6, mostly the focus tokens) were covered in a thin layer of plastic instead of the thin paper-like layer. The plastic made far worse results with the layer of paint as you can see in this close up image. The one on the left was covered in the far better paper-like protection. The quick fix for this was to scratch off the extra paint with a fingernail. This made the end result quite good.

zdnlzjnkntq5zgfmngyzyjgyyjlimzu2nwrhzguz

Another potential problem was the blue shield tokens. These did not have any protective layer at all. At first I thought that I would never be able to add painted details to them. Then I remembered how easy it was to wipe off the excess paint when it was still wet. So the trick was to paint a shield token all white on top and then wipe it off with a soft paper towel immediately after. This would leave paint in all the recessed areas (this technique could probably be used with all the tokens actually).You can judge the end result from the image with the blue/white tokens.

I am very satisfied with my new set of tokens and with the right painting techniques it is possible to get fine results on all of them.

Edited by Scurvy Lobster, 05 February 2014 - 03:05 PM.

• QuinnCee and Introverdant like this

#2 Stormie7893

Stormie7893

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

These look really nice. The detail is superb, especially on those shield tokens!
Rebels: 12x X-wings 10x Y-wings 6x A-wings 6x B-Wings 4x HWK-290 3x YT-1300 4x GR-75 1x CR90

Empire: 16x TIE Fighters 4x TIE Advanced 4x TIE Interceptors 8x Imperial Aces 8x TIE Bombers 3x Firespray-31 3x Lambda Shuttle

#3 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Nice review, I too was very pleased with my purchase from them. I had ordered the green bomb pack which had 3 of each .. seismic, proton and the proximity mines/bomb tokens, I also got the short range guides 1 and 2 range, and that came with the 1, and 2 straight with bump outs for helping to show where a ship is so you can move a ship to either range out or move another ship over it.. I have painted most, and found the plastic, which covered all my parts, was awesome for a paint guide.

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#4 Old Guy

Old Guy

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

I must have been unlucky, most of mine came out like the bad Focus token, they were covered in a plastic membrane. For the price I was disappointed.

#5 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

The plastic film is a protective covering that should be removed, it's on all sheets of plastic in case it breaks it makes clean up easier.. I use it as a paint guide and then remove it and do some minimal clean up of the parts..

#6 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

They should I believe all be moving over to the paper covering, but I guess you picked up some early ones.

#7 Muz

Muz

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I ordered some tokens the other day and was blown away when the next day i got confirmation of shipping! I have ordered from Litko and Corsec Engineering and each of them has taken on average 3-4 weeks to get to me ( in NZ). 

Thanks for posting the photos, the tokens look good, cant wait to get mine!

• oneway, stegocent and Scurvy Lobster like this

Rebel Alliance Squadrons:

5 X-wing, 2 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 4 B-wing, 1 HWK, 2 YT 1300, 1 GR-75, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Z-95, 2 E-wing

Imperial Navy:

6 TIE fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 2 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Bomber, 1 Fire Spray, 1 Shuttle, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Phantom

#8 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

I definitely like these, just...Euros....hmmm.

Rebels: 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 5 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors(1 Guard, 2 Saber, 1 Standard), 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Firespray, 1 Lambda

#9 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

They should I believe all be moving over to the paper covering, but I guess you picked up some early ones.

Yeah I think I ordered the day after you mentioned they were available, I went straight to their site and placed it. They were fast to respond as well, I had order confirmation and notice of shipment within a day or so.. and as I said, very happy with the product and your design..

#10 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

I'd be interested in some of the templates and tokens myself, but I'm not terribly keen on the cogs.

It's not easy being green.

#11 Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

I really have to add to my mini-review how quickly the order processed. They mailed the stuff same day I ordered. Something fewer and fewer sellers do. A big thumbs up for that.

#12 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

They're certainly pretty, but...

IMHO the extra markings on the maneuver templates are very problematic.  They create a ruler which does not exist on the official templates, and can be used to measure illegally.

I may be overly picky on this, but I wouldn't allow these in my games or events.

#13 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

IMHO the extra markings on the maneuver templates are very problematic.  They create a ruler which does not exist on the official templates, and can be used to measure illegally.

I may be overly picky on this, but I wouldn't allow these in my games or events.

Actually, they line up perfectly.. not sure what you're talking about here.. 

#14 Old Guy

Old Guy

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

As I said I must have been unlucky, overall the designs are nice and I have no beef with the set, and as everyone says they delivered very quickly.

I shall maybe spend more time on cleaning mine up, but sadly the 'Imperial' logo on some is definately beyond repair.

#15 36Blade

36Blade

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:44 AM

When you painted these did you do it by hand (brush), airbrush or rattle can. I have ordered some of the tokens and was thinking of painting but not sure what is the best way?

#16 Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:11 AM

When you painted these did you do it by hand (brush), airbrush or rattle can. I have ordered some of the tokens and was thinking of painting but not sure what is the best way?

I did it by hand with a brush and white paint from Games Workshop. I found that only adding a thin layer of paint gave the best results. A few of my first tokens got flooded a bit and they came out a bit less satisfying than the rest.

If I could redo the ones with plastic covering I would have removed the plastic first and painted afterwards (using same painting technique as the blue shield tokens).

Edited by Scurvy Lobster, 06 February 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#17 Old Guy

Old Guy

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:11 AM

They are small enough to use a brush, which is what I did, when dry I peeled off the protective plastic membrane, I then found I had to go over some areas as they were not as deep as I would have liked them to be, also some of mine look scarred.

I have touched them all up this morning and it has improved them, but not as good as Scurvy's.

My son has some Litko rulers coming, it will be interesting to see the difference.

#18 Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

I have the cog-2 tokens and rulers and love them. So much more impressive than the card ones.

Only a couple of tokens that are under-par but that's balanced by the quality of the rest.

#19 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

I also got my hands on some Cog'o'tokens and I think they are great.  I got the Bomb tokens in Orange, Evade, Crit, Expose, Marksmanship, R2-F2, Focus, Stress, Orange Shield and Blue Shield, as well as the short range ruler set in green.  Customer Service is absolutely top notch and shipping was fast as lightning. 

The only comment I would make on them is the Shield tokens are quite small compared to standard shield tokens so on occasion I have accidentally missed seeing one at glance.  Mind you that was a blue Shield token, the orange ones are very bright and you would never miss one of them.

I really find the acrylic tokens need to be painted or they can be very difficult to differentiate between.

Compared to the more subdued color palette of the FFG Promo Acrylic tokens, these ones are incredibly bright for maximum visibility.

The Stress and Crit tokens are noticeably smaller than the standard tokens and as such have no problem fitting on a small base stand without being intrusive on the chit text.

Compared to other options available from other manufacturers they are a bit on the pricey side, but the superb design and fantastic customer service make up the difference.  Did I mention that the customer service was amazing beyond compare?

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#20 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:52 AM

Note to self, when visiting San Antonio be sure to bring standard movement templates and range rulers.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS