How far can you go!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hi Guys! kinda new to LOTRCG and am getting pretty good with the rules now and have successfully beaten the first scenario, solo, with every pre-constructed deck in the core set. I am about to start breaking things down and creating a fun deck that I think may get me through the rest of the quests scenarios in the core set. Im about to get the hunt for gollum as well. Id like to get some feed back from you guys to see what kinda decks have you made and how far have you been able to get with them solo through core set and following cycles and such. Do you think you need to change your deck alot to get through certain scenarios? Anyway, you get the idea, so how far can you go with a deck youve built! thanks guys and looking foward to some fun answers!

Edited by la1cajun, 05 February 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#2 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

You will probably get a lot of different answers to this question.. and here is mine.

The "One Deck to Rule Them All" has been a goal of many players whom chip away at this game. Once each cycle ends (including the deluxe that goes with it) there is usually 1 or 2 new decks that cna beat everything that has been before, assuming you have a small sideboard for those very specific quests, and even that is not needed all the time. So yes.. there are decks that can do everything, but they always require the full card pool. The problem with the "One Deck to Rule Them All" is that it is a rabbit. No matter how hard you chase it it will run off, as each new quest is harder than the last and introduces more and more unique rules.

Other players (like myself) prefer to make decks for a given quest. Like Battle of Lake Town is one of my favorite quests, and my enjoyment of the game comes form making what I call a "Key-Deck".. a deck specifically built to crush that quest into dust with the maximum win ratio I can get. For the record I play to win as well, I don't really record my scores or anything. My Lake Town deck is very good at Lake Town though the win rate is not as high as I would like so I am still working on it.. but has real problem in some other quests.. yet the difficulty of Lake-Town means it can still beat a high proportion of the total number of quests. So after I build a Key-Deck (I call it that as I kind of consider a quest to be a puzzle in a way), anyway so after I build a Key-Deck I have fun running it vs the rest of the sets to see how far it will get.

As a new player with a small pool, you haven't told us but I am assuming you have 1 Core and no expansions. I would first recommend buying a 2nd core set. People get bent out of shape about this, but it really isn't that bad a deal imo. Then start your 50 card deck building. Now you have to decide how you want to play. Co-Op, Solo or Multi-Hand.  The game is a 2 player game.. that CAN be played solo or 3/4 players. This has started to change in latter quests with some getting designed with other player counts in mind, but I still believe that on average the most balance in this game comes from 2 player, and it is a very very fun way to play. This leads many solo players to play 2 handed. The thing about co-op or multi-hand decks is that you are really building one single deck, many people do not get this, and in general if you have a good solo deck, then it is a bad or at least weak co-op hand. Then of course there is solo play, or 1Handed. These decks need to be extremely streamlined and powerful as they have to deal with so much so fast, yet to do this they need to try and cover as many angles of the game at once, while co-op decks share that load.. leading to the fact you may get bored as you will find you are using the exact same cards for years.

Spirit and Lore is by far the.. by FAR the most powerful spheres though out the entire mirkwood cycle. You can make Keyhole decks using pretty much any sphere combo but spirit might need to be in all of them and once you get access to the Minstrels and the songs solo decks really start to click. So all you really need is 2 Lore + 1 Spirit to crush the entire Mirkwood cycle and splash anything else you want.

Have fun... ask questions and try not to read other people decks and learn yourself. The best decks are ones you make and then play and go.. well I am just not using this card.. then replacing that slot with something new.

Edited by booored, 05 February 2014 - 09:18 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#3 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the input Booored! I think your right. Will get alot of different answers and thats cool. Its fun to see what people are doing, how far they have gotten solo, and what works and doesnt. And dont worry, Ive already got something in mind Ive been coming up with after playing all the preconstructed stuff. I like to try stuff on my own. Anyway, hope to see more people chime in, have a great day!

Edited by la1cajun, 05 February 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#4 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

In answer to your input Booored about my set , I have the core set, 1 copy, and have hunt for gollum coming in to my local game store next week. Figured Id go in order. Thanks!

#5 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

I wouldn't go for a second core unless you've got another regular player. For me, the game is more about the quests than having all the cards; part of the great thing about these living card games. Don't hold your breath on beating the tower of dol guldor quest solo, that's something most people can't pull off. With just a core set, I've enjoyed using Aragorn, Theodred, and Eowyn for a questing power house. Gloin with some healing from lore is also pretty fun.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS