Scum and Villainy X-Wing Podcast

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

I'd also thought about doing an X-wing podcast, but am kinda isolated from the rest of the world's meta :)  - cool that you guys are doing this

Get on Vassal... Great players online.

i am new to all x-wing what is 'Vassal'?

Vassal is a program that runs various board games.  There's a module for x-wing.  Right now there's a tournament with 72 players taking place.  Many of the top players regularly play online, for example both world champs play there and test squads out.

If Your interested in getting into Vassal, I've put a tutorial on youtube.  This will give you a basic walk through on how to get setup

Here's some links to download the program and the modules

(go here to get the latest vassal version) http://www.vassalengine.org/

(go here to get the current module and all the extensions) http://www.vassaleng...Miniatures_Game

is vassal a free program?

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#22 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

is vassal a free program?

Yes it's a free program.  The interface takes a bit of getting use to but once you do it's a lot of fun.

#23 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Vassal is excellent. Got a few games in last night.

#24 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

A friend of mine does a podcast for 40k (Forging the Narrative) and he uses podomatic to host the files for people to download.

This may be a suitable solution for you guys.

https://www.podomatic.com/login

I got to listen to it last night due to being stuck at work doing a report, but otherwise I would have found it difficult to find the time to put something like this on since when I want to listen to a podcast, I often don't have access to an internet connection to listen to it via youtube.  Using a hosting site would help immensely.

Carpe Jugulum

The Fleet:

Spoiler

#25 DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

itunes?

#26 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

itunes?

Some of us despise using apple products.

And iTunes is literally the worst music playing software that you can find for a PC.

• VanorDM likes this

Carpe Jugulum

The Fleet:

Spoiler

#27 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

A friend of mine does a podcast for 40k (Forging the Narrative) and he uses podomatic to host the files for people to download.

This may be a suitable solution for you guys.

https://www.podomatic.com/login

I got to listen to it last night due to being stuck at work doing a report, but otherwise I would have found it difficult to find the time to put something like this on since when I want to listen to a podcast, I often don't have access to an internet connection to listen to it via youtube.  Using a hosting site would help immensely.

Thanks for the info.  This looks really clean and easy to use.  We defiantly want to make this easier for people.

#28 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

We've added a link here http://scumandvillan...t.podomatic.com

• Kelvan likes this

#29 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Anyone have squads they want us to cover?

#30 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Awesome, this will make it much easier to listen to future episodes.

There aren't really a lot of podcasts about for X-Wing miniatures (I was looking for one when you guys released this first episode quite conveniently), so it would be nice to perhaps go through a mix of common lists (TIE/ln spam or a Han Shot First) for newer players, and then do maybe one or two of the top 16 lists from worlds and going over how they work, what are the critical weaknesses, basic setup and initial pass ideas, etc.

I'd be happy to hear one common list and one top 16 list each episode.  If you run out, covering some of the fun lists like the triple shuttle lists etc would be good too.

• Stelar 7 likes this

Carpe Jugulum

The Fleet:

Spoiler

#31 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

Awesome, this will make it much easier to listen to future episodes.

There aren't really a lot of podcasts about for X-Wing miniatures (I was looking for one when you guys released this first episode quite conveniently), so it would be nice to perhaps go through a mix of common lists (TIE/ln spam or a Han Shot First) for newer players, and then do maybe one or two of the top 16 lists from worlds and going over how they work, what are the critical weaknesses, basic setup and initial pass ideas, etc.

I'd be happy to hear one common list and one top 16 list each episode.  If you run out, covering some of the fun lists like the triple shuttle lists etc would be good too.

It might be good to go over some of these common squad themes and talk about them some then go into some specific squads, like some that made the top 16 at worlds.

• KineticOperator likes this

#32 DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

Hey, so for someone like me who uses iTunes for podcasts what will be a good way for me to keep up to date with your podcast?

I think is good topic would be how new waves upgrades effect old waves.

#33 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

Hey, so for someone like me who uses iTunes for podcasts what will be a good way for me to keep up to date with your podcast?

I think is good topic would be how new waves upgrades effect old waves.

The Team Covenant guys will have to get it listed on iTunes, but because I looked it up, here's the how for them to do it:

http://www.podomatic...help/article/49

For you Darkguard, you can just download the file and then chuck it into your iTunes library to play it for now.

Carpe Jugulum

The Fleet:

Spoiler

#34 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Any Builds out there that you guys want us to look over?

#35 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Any Builds out there that you guys want us to look over?

I'd love to hear you guys talk about the doomcow in general:

Omicron Group Pilot + FCS + Gunner + Engine Upgrade

The specific list I've been having a lot of success with is the Scarlet Cowgirl (a name I proposed as a joke and caught on)

Kath Scarlet (38)
Expert Handling (2)
Rebel Captive (3)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Fire-Control System (2)
Gunner (5)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 100

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray-31s, 5 Lambdas

5 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 2 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 CR-90 Corvette

#36 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

All 3 of us are big fans of the Shuttle, so I think you can pretty much count on us to talk about it.  We have our First Submission with the Scarlet Cowgirl. 

#37 Slimjim

Slimjim

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

I also love the shuttle, I would like to hear thoughts on my version of the 'Fettigator of Doom'
I have had good success with it using my AP to help slow play the Doomcow/gunner to help get in the crits faster while the Fett and NB dance around picking off the scraps and strays.

Boba Fett — Firespray-31 39
Expert Handling 2
Navigator 3

Omicron Group Pilot — Lambda-Class Shuttle 21
Darth Vader 3
Gunner 5

Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter 12

"Night Beast" — TIE Fighter 15
Steve Coulterman,
Quebec City, QC, Canada
Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE/Advanced, 3 TIE/Interceptor, 1 TIE/Bomber, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda-Class Shuttle
Rebel Scum: 2 X-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 YT-1300

#38 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Digging this podcast.  Made one thing clear.....  I DEFINITELY need to get on Vassal

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#39 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Digging this podcast.  Made one thing clear.....  I DEFINITELY need to get on Vassal

I will be running another Tournament soonish and I expect it to have more players then Worlds, or at least that's my goal.

#40 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

I also love the shuttle, I would like to hear thoughts on my version of the 'Fettigator of Doom'
I have had good success with it using my AP to help slow play the Doomcow/gunner to help get in the crits faster while the Fett and NB dance around picking off the scraps and strays.

Boba Fett — Firespray-31 39
Expert Handling 2
Navigator 3

Omicron Group Pilot — Lambda-Class Shuttle 21
Darth Vader 3
Gunner 5

Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter 12

"Night Beast" — TIE Fighter 15

Fattigator of Doom is on the list.

• Slimjim likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS