Photo

Top ten most powerful middle earth characters (3rd age)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Thinking af the order I would place them just turne my head into a mess ... so without any order, by "race" and a few words

Sauron (obvious I guess)

Galadriel (Among the best of the Elves ever lived in middle earth)

Glorfindel (Great guy, damn on pet Jackson for turning arwen into a hero instead of him)

Celeborn (why all you guys forgett about this fellow ?)

Elrond (Obvious)

Saruman (well, chief of the Istari, he was named that for a reason)

Gandalf (need I explain anything?)

WitchKing (cause even his shriek terrored the hearth of everyone)

Shelob (like someone wrote, Ungoliants body was never found, Shelob was her daughter, so...)

Smaug (if there was not that little piece of armour and that totally lucky bowman shooting the arrow, we would all be dragons buy now)

sub : Balrog (nice guy, terrored the dwarves, destroyed Morria, what else could he do)

Tom Bombandil would be also a candidate as well as Radagast (guys, apart from the movie and the rabbiits, he was a Maiar after all)

Edited by Nickpes, 05 February 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#22 oldoly

oldoly

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

not sure he did resist it.. no one could resist it. In fact I would argue the allegory of evil in the world is that Sam is responsible for it. Everyone tainted by the ring is removed form middle earth by Carin that boat guy.. except Sam. So a seed of evil, of the taint remained to fester.

There were a few who resisted the ring. Galadriel, Sam, Gandalf. They were tempted but did not give into temptation. Sam never gives into the temptation to wear the ring after Frodo is stabbed by Shelob and as the book recounts Sam gives the ring back to Frodo willingly unlike Bilbo.

#23 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

not sure I agree. Gandalf was terrified of the ring, so much so we wouldn't touch it. Galadriel was the same.. she couldn't risk touching it either. They were never in a opportunity to be corrupted, as they surly would have been... and they new this.

Sam did touch it, and while he (like Bilbo and Frodo) had a incredible resistance to it, he.. just like Frodo was tainted, just like Bilbo was tainted.. the fact he had it do so short a time doesn't mean the taint didn't sit.

Then as he didn't leave middle earth like the other ring bearers the taint of evil stayed. To once again grow.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#24 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

not sure he did resist it.. no one could resist it. In fact I would argue the allegory of evil in the world is that Sam is responsible for it. Everyone tainted by the ring is removed form middle earth by Carin that boat guy.. except Sam. So a seed of evil, of the taint remained to fester.

Sam did (maybe) pass over the sea in the end - it's in Appendix B, not stated as certain fact but a "tradition" believed by his descendants.

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."

#25 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:05 AM

I didn't know this... any sources on that?
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#26 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:07 AM

I didn't know this... any sources on that?

Yes, Appendix B of TLOTR ("Later Events concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"). Reference here: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Samwise_Gamgee

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."

#27 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

pffft... that's lame. My idea was way better.

#28 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

There were a few who resisted the ring. Galadriel, Sam, Gandalf. They were tempted but did not give into temptation. Sam never gives into the temptation to wear the ring after Frodo is stabbed by Shelob and as the book recounts Sam gives the ring back to Frodo willingly unlike Bilbo.

Sam would likely have been corrupted by the ring in time, but just within the confines of the story written, he was the only one to HOLD the ring and resist its direct temptations (visions of power and grandeur), then hand it over willingly.  Plus, he DID wear the ring after Frodo was poisoned by Shelob.  That's how he escaped the Orcs who discovered Frodo's body.

#29 oldoly

oldoly

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Regarding gandalf and galadriel I always looked at it as a healthy fear they knew their limit. And I stand corrected on Sam. I forgot he actually put the ring on.

#30 IchabodtheShadow

IchabodtheShadow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

1. Gollum/smeagol.
No one compares. He won the game of the precious.
X-wing miniatures: 5 TIE/LN, 2 TIE/ADV, 3 TIE/IN, 3 TIE/SA, 2 FIRESPRAY-31, 1 Lambda-class T-4A shuttle, 2 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 2 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290.

#31 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

1. Sauron
2. Actual ring-bearer

Balrog
Glorfindel
Elrond
Gandalf
Saruman
Gwaihir
Witch King
actual steward of Gondor

Edited by Scroll Lock, 11 February 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#32 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

The quote thingy doesn't like me, but I'd like to respond to the discussion regarding Sauron's power and alleged physical form.

It's only in the films that Gandalf (or was it Saruman?) said that he could not take physical form. In the books there is evidence that he can and does take physical form. Gollum mentions the four fingers on his black hand ('they are enough'); several times characters talk about him 'coming forth' or 'arriving' after his servants have won the day. Moreover, the Red Eye is not his physical form but an embodiment or visual representation of his ceaseless Will that goes here and there.

The confusion sets in because Sauron, like Gandalf and some of the Noldor, exists in both the spirit realm and the physical realm simultaneously. Sauron seems to be the superior power in that he has the most experience in manipulating both the physical and the spiritual. He's been at this for Ages. And its his evil Will (spiritual power) that literally holds the Dark Tower together. It keeps the Nine in their power, keeps all of the evil creatures in his control fighting. Men worship him as their lord and god. He is a master of deception, strategy, and treachery. Its his cunning and desire for domination that culminates the greatest events of two Ages.

For that reason, he's got to be the most powerful being in the Third Age.

This is, of course, entirely subjective. 'Uncloaked', Gandalf would surely be Sauron's equal, if not superior. The White Council, united as one, stood against him and drove him out of Dol Guldur (though he was not quite as 'energized' then). And Sauron's critical misstep was, of course, the creation of the Ring. He put all of his eggs in one basket.

Anyways, there is a lot of interesting talk on him in Tolkien's letters and more that could be said but this little post went way longer than I meant for it to. Good discussion! :)

• Raven1015 and Djenni like this

The Grey Company; Master of Lore; & Frebooter Kommand are all things I work on.

#33 Gunny_J

Gunny_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

Sauron, without a doubt, was the mightiest spirit to dwell in Middle-earth.  It is written in the Silmarillian he is the greatest of all the Maiar.  So much so, the Vala sent five other Maiar (the Istari) to keep the Great Darkness at bay in Middle-earth.  In addition, second to him in power, were the Balrogs - also Maiar, but corrupted by Morgoth.  Obviously, Gandalf defeated a Balrog, which automatically illustrates he is equal in power.  Saruman would have similar power, if not greater, so I would group him in there somewhere at the top. 

To say Sauron had no real power is far-fetched.  It took an army led by Celeborn, Galadriel, and Saruman to make Sauron consider fleeing Dol Guldur back to Barad-dur and that was when he was in his weaker, necromancer form.  By the time of the War of the Ring took place, he was easily more powerful than any living being in Middle-earth, with the exception of Tom Bombadil.  However, the only real chance they had in defeating Sauron himself was destroying the ring of power.  The only reason I bring Tom Bombadil into this is because his origin is unclear as he could have been an AWOL Vala for all we know.  IMO, Bombadil's power was greater than any other good living being, but maybe not greater than Sauron. 

With much of Sauron's power, the Witch-king was very strong, but I would not be willing to bet he could defeat Gandalf.  If you think about it, if he was, he would have tried at the gates to Minas Tirith.  Gandalf was his single greatest threat and obstacle to winning that battle.  Had he smitten Gandalf right there and then, the battle would have been over.  WIthout the White Wizard, they would have lost all will and hope to win the fight.  I think that Peter Jackson's movies give a warped sense of the hiearchy of the characters, especially with The Hobbit movies.  I do love the movies, though.

I think people bring up an interest point about Shelob.  Ungoliant dwelled with Morgoth, a Vala, and become so powerful that even he feared her.  Her offspring could certainly be more powerful than a Maiar, but with her defeat to one Samwise Gamgee it is hard to say.  I just don't see Samwise defeating any other person of power that would make my list, so I just can't include Shelob.  Not to mention, Samwise used powers provided by Galadriel to defeat Shelob...probably couldn't have done it without.

With that said, I would go in this order as top ten:

Sauron (greatest of all the Maiar)

Tom Bombadil (possibly a greater Maiar or Vala but uncertain)

The 5 Istari (Maiar wizards sent by the Vala)

Balrog (great Maiar)

Galadriel (immortal Elf)

Celeborn (immortal Elf)

Edited by Gunny_J, 11 February 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• Djenni likes this

#34 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Not sure if I would be able to rank them. Sauron, Smaug and the Balrog should be up there. Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast are forces to be reckoned with, as are Gwaihir and the other eagles. Oh, and elven rulers like Galadriel, Elrond and Glorfindel (who even the Nazgûl feared).

Edited by Olorin93, 13 February 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#35 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'm pretty sure Legolas and Gimli were the two most powerful beings in the 3rd age. They were able to jump into absurd battles, which would doom any being including the Witch King, and come out feeling like they just had a day at the spa.

• chuckles likes this

#36 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

This is, of course, entirely subjective. 'Uncloaked', Gandalf would surely be Sauron's equal, if not superior. The White Council, united as one, stood against him and drove him out of Dol Guldur (though he was not quite as 'energized' then). And Sauron's critical misstep was, of course, the creation of the Ring. He put all of his eggs in one basket.

From what Tolkien wrote we are sure that Gandalf is not superior and probably not even equal to Sauron.Gandalf was afraid Sauron and that's why he didn't want to join the other Istari wen Manwe asked him to.Gandalf is probably wiser and his wisdom is his true power.His wisdom was the reason Cirdan gave him the ring of fire (Narya) and Galadriel suggested him to be the head of the White Council.

#37 Svarteryttaren

Svarteryttaren

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Treebeard (as in fangorn Forrest). Some would argue this a place but its the same and that is one of the points of it in the lord of the ring.
Very passive though but powerfull and oldest of beings in middle earth.

Edited by Svarteryttaren, 13 February 2014 - 10:46 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS