Photo

Top ten most powerful middle earth characters (3rd age)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Ozil23

Ozil23

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

I would like to know who do you guys think are the top 10 most powerful characters in middle earth during the 3rd age (preferably between the hobbit and lotr time) since this is the time the game takes place. It doesn't matter if they are good or evil, just a simple question for fun.

Mine (not in order of power):

*Glorfindel

*Shelob

*Gandalf

*Elrond

*Galadriel

*Smaug

*Witch king

*Balrog

*Beorn

*Necromancer

#2 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Put Saruman in Shelob's place and Tom Bobandil in Beorn's place and you have my top ten.

I could place the other 3 wizards in the list(they are also maiar) but i left them out of the list just because we know little about their acts in Middle Earth and i wanted to add the more active characters from the books.

#3 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

In no particular order. Off the top of my head.

Sauron

Balrog

Smaug

Tom Bombadil

Galadriel

Celeborn

Witch King of Angmar

Gandalf

Saruman

Glorfindel

Edited by Djenni, 04 February 2014 - 06:34 PM.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#4 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Depends on your definition of "power".  Strength of physical force is very different from influence or charisma, as is strength of will.

Just for fun, here's my list, in order, I think:

1. Ungoliant (they never found a body, did they?)
  2. Sauron
  3. Smaug
  4. Glorfindel
  5. Saruman
  6. Gandalf
  7. Balrog (hard to tell, but for obvious reasons must come after Gandalf and Glorfindel)
  8. Cirdan
  9. Galadriel
  10. Witch King
  11. Elrond
  12. Beorn
  13. Sam Gamgee (the only non-Bombadil who was able to resist the direct temptations of the ring while it was in his hand, and on his own too)

#5 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

10. Lagduf
9.  Ufthak
8.  Gorbag
7.  Grishnakh
6.  Great Goblin
5.  Bolg
4.  Ugluk
3.  Shagrat
2.  Gothmog
1.  Ghulat!  That bloke has heads dangling from his armor... heads!

med_ghulat-eaad.jpg

#6 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

Actually he has skulls dangling from the armor, and one head in his hands.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#7 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

Oh and don't forget about the Great  Eagles of Manwe.I am sure they are more powerful than Beorn. :)

Edited by servant of the secret fire, 04 February 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#8 sparrowpisuke

sparrowpisuke

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:07 AM

Sauron, Gandalf and Saruman were Maiar, and therefore more powerful than any elf, though Galadriel, Celeborn and Glorfindel were featured elves...

My top ten... ( I consider only main characters )

1.Sauron

2.Gandalf

3.Saruman

4.Balrog

5.Smaug

6.Glorfindel

7.Galadriel

8.Elrond

9.Witch King

And...Tom Bombadil in an unknown position of the list...

No x,y,z,n  integers , x,y,z>0 , n>2 | x^n+y^n = z^n

Proof: My margin is very small too...

#9 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:22 AM

not sure Sauron should be in these lists, I mean he has no power. He is just a presence that can kind of influence people. Not really god like if you ask me, and the original rules specifically stated the 3rd age...

1. Glorfindel: Anchient ass kicking dude.. a hero among the most powerful race still living)
  2. Galadriel: Pretty clear imo, everyone takes notice when she speaks
  3. Elrond
  4. Witch King: Owns Gandalf like a ***** in seconds.
  5. Tom Bombadil: Who the **** is this guy? His very mystery makes him a contender.
  6. Saruman
  7. Gandalf
  8. Radagast
  9. Smaug
  10. Balrog

Edited by booored, 05 February 2014 - 05:46 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#10 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

1. Radagast

Doesn't Radagast just run around with a bunny chariot and poo on his head?  :D

#11 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

I thought he was a attunement of mother nature?,, he is a Istari, we might have no seen him do anything, but he could.. he is still one of only 5 beings that are created out of the force of life itself and sent to middle earth by the Valar themselves.

I think it is safe to say he has some power... in fact, **** it.. I'm moving him higher!

Edited by booored, 05 February 2014 - 05:49 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#12 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

Yeah, just messing :) The Hobbit film makes him look a bit silly, but he must have been a pretty powerful dude. Even if birds dump on his head.

#13 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

Dude.. he has tamed the wild rhosgobel rabbits... he is a frickn BAD ASS no doubt!

• monkeyrama likes this

#14 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

not sure Sauron should be in these lists, I mean he has no power. He is just a presence that can kind of influence people. Not really god like if you ask me, and the original rules specifically stated the 3rd age...

I think rebuilding Barad Dûr, building an army of thousands, conjuring evil storms, brainwashing even Saruman and Denethor, powering the nazgul i'm pretty sure even though he has no physical appearance in the Lotr he still is one of the most powerful characters in the story at that time.

#15 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

wasn't it Saruman that screwed with Denethor?

Anyway, imo he didn't "do" any of that stuff. His minions did, he couldn't do anything. Like he didn't do anything to Saruman, Saruman just gave in to his own desires for power and submitted to fear.

#16 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

wasn't it Saruman that screwed with Denethor?

Anyway, imo he didn't "do" any of that stuff. His minions did, he couldn't do anything. Like he didn't do anything to Saruman, Saruman just gave in to his own desires for power and submitted to fear.

He didn't build the fortress himself brick by brick haha, don't you think it takes tremendous power to raise an army that large, build an epic empire of evil. I'm not talking about worthless physical power i'm talking about willpower, magic and the power of his mind. In that sense he was much stronger than almost everyone alive at that time. And yes he did turn Saruman, through the Palantir. You think he would've just gone mad on his own?

Edited by Djenni, 05 February 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#17 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

1. Witch King: Owns Gandalf like a ***** in seconds.

Only in the Peter Jackson alternate timeline.  In the book, he stood up to Gandalf and neither of them flinched, but ultimately, the Witch King retreated to "deal with another threat".  Could we read into this that he really didn't feel confident going against Gandalf on his own?  If they did actually have to fight, what would have happened?  I don't know the answer.  

I personally think that no minion of Sauron's could challenge Gandalf single-handedly.  He is a Maia after all.  Sauron himself could, as could a Balrog, because of their nature and stature.  Dragons, however, are a different matter since they were created and bred by Morgoth himself in the beginning.  IMO

#18 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

"Dangerous? And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord.

'Gandalf's words to the 3 hunters in the Fangorn forest'

The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier than they: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him. We will go where he leads.”
And that's what Aragorn said about Gandalf

Tolkien gave the answers ;) .

Edited by servant of the secret fire, 05 February 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#19 oldoly

oldoly

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

13. Sam Gamgee (the only non-Bombadil who was able to resist the direct temptations of the ring while it was in his hand, and on his own too)

Such a great point!

#20 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

not sure he did resist it.. no one could resist it. In fact I would argue the allegory of evil in the world is that Sam is responsible for it. Everyone tainted by the ring is removed form middle earth by Carin that boat guy.. except Sam. So a seed of evil, of the taint remained to fester.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS