Where do I start?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

So I am starting a Rogue Trader game with my pathfinder group after this next campaign which will be ending in about 2-3 weeks, so I have that time to prepare something.

I have a rough story and basically want to make it an open-sector campaign where the players decide what they want to do. The only problem is I don't know where to start. I don't want to just start of "ok, you are on your ship. where do you want to go?" and I am trying to avoid the whole you hear about X in a bar on a space station (though that will probably be how they find most of what is going on in the sector). My plan is to make up most of the story based on their decision but have some stuff written in (you hear about a space hulk orbiting a planet with potentially valuable technology aboard, or you get a distress call from a blockaded planet that is in desperate need of supplies).

Since one member of the group has already expressed an interest in being an Ork it looks like the group is going to go in a more space privateer direction rather than an imperial missionary direction.

So anyone know a good way to start this?

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#2 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

You kind of have to get a feel for the kind of adventure that your players want to run. Rogue Trader is quite flexible, and can support a lot of different ways to play it which is one of its strengths.

For a good "starting" adventure you could try looking through Lure of the Expanse and picking one of the Heathen Trails adventures and just finding a hook to tie it into your group somehow. If they're going very militaristic then the adventure from Edge of the Abyss would also be good, although it's probably quite difficult for starting out characters.

I would honestly sit down with your players and ask them this question before the first session, so that you can get a somewhat more specific adventure planned to play to the kind of adventure they want - at least from their perspective.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#3 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

First off ask how the crew got their warrant of trade.  You need to ground them in history, how many generation has the family held it, who are the captains syblings etc... Now you want to ask what brought all the players to this point.  Character creation has a built in backstory creation so look at that and use it as a framework for the campaign your building.  

Now get specific, what brought these characters together?  How have their paths crossed and what drives them to do what they do.  

Who are their enemies and who are their allies?  Are they a promising house or one that's near bankruptcy?  

Here read this short story by cycnical cat it should really get your juices flowing: http://community.fan...erit-the-stars/

"Fire cannot kill a dragon..."-Daenerys Targaryen

"I found my friends their in my head."-Kurt Cobain

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

#4 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Well the people in my group have already played only war and have experience with the rogue trader system. I know basically how I'm going to start it I just don't know the location where I should start. I don't just want to start them aboard the ship and say "do whatever you want".

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#5 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

Start at footfall. 

What I did with my campaign was I created a massive list of endevors they could complete.  At one point they had like 30 possible endevors they could choose from each from different organizations or individauls.  As they completed these endevors tehy became more associated with some organizations than others this closed some of their old options and opened new ones.

They also had some endevors they could complete that would not force aliances but the above option is fun because it forces the players to make allies and form enemies this ends up creating their own stories as the players get embrioled in the conflicts around the expanse.  

I also have an overaching story line which the players get less chance to influence.  This allows me to plan ahead more so I can create cooler scenes and write dialogue instead of just having to come up with things on the fly.  They still get some degree of choice but not to the same extent as the smaller less story driven endevors they can choose from.

Are you having trouble thinking of ways to force your players down certian pathsÉ

Edited by ieatdeadpeople2, 04 February 2014 - 10:21 PM.

• Tenebrae and Erathia like this

#6 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:30 AM

Best to start with the 'crew' already assembled.

If you want a nice starting adventure with plenty of politics, space battles, ground battles, and orks, I might suggest Frozen Reaches. Essentially, the freebooter happens to know* that a sizable orkish force is going to attack the world of Damaris. This offers the possiblity of serious violence and/or profit.

* purely because he is a well-informed and sociable individual, not in any way because he was involved before signing up with the dynasty

• Nameless2all likes this

#7 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

Don't use the FFG material for story, they have good settings but the stories are dull.  They won't be character driven it will feel like a cheap action movie. 

I guess it depends what your going for.

I'm sure you can do better.

TO really get a good story like that going you need to have detailed backstory.

Here's my captains backstory.  the Lady-Captain Trenne Zypher

Her father was Edmund Zypher a moderately powerful rogue trader who had aquired his wealth through the exploration of a small but rich stellar cluster known as Dewain's Cluster.  Together with his closest friend and ally Fauchsmund Thayne they had plunged into the unkown whethered ork assaults, battled reavers and claimed their riches for humanity.

Her mother was Suri Yundai.  She was the descendant of the exiled roalty of Geistzieg, the Bowguan.  Suri had been sold into slavery at a young age by her parents so they could maintain their exorbiant life style, and continue to pretend that the world their ancestors had ruled before the Imperium had came was still under the dominion of the Bowguan.  

Sometime before Trenne Zyphers memories bagan Thayne and her father had had a disagreement which led to war.  A short war ensued with little gain or loss by either side until that fateful day that's burned into her memory for all time.  Edmund was gathering his fleet for a sudden assault on Thaynes ships while they were being docked and repaired, what he didn;t know was that an informant in his own fleet had tipped Thayne off and before the Zypher fleet could gather it's full strenght Thaynes  reserve ships dropped in on them, and silently crept through the system into the gas giant belt where Edmund was docked.

Thayne fell on Edmund like rapid dog, the Zypher fleet was not fully gathered and at this battle they were outnumbered four-to-one.  Thayne was here to crush Edmund, worst of all was that Edmund's wife and two daughters were still aboard when Thayne telleported onto the bridge and met Lord-Captain Edmund in single combat and cut him down before our young captains eyes.  She was six when this happened.

In the aftemath of the battle many Zypher ships were either ambushed as the fleet tried to rally or they went pirate.  Edmunds youngest daughter was lost and is presumed dead.  Finally Borrus Godwin, Edmunds head Missionary and God-father to his daughters manged to rally what remained of the fleet but was forced to sell every ship but one and discharge the Zypher armsmen to pay the Zypher Dynasties debt which it would be unable to pay since thayne had siezed thier intrests.  Shortly after our captains mother died.  And she was raised in the cliff cities of giestzieg under a new identity, when she got older Trenne Zypher leanred the art of commanding a ship under the tutoring of the captain of a Naval patrol around the maw. A mission which lasted nearly four years.  She was educated in the ways of the markets as well as the courtesies a noble-born of the imperium must know.

Once she was 18 she reclaim her former identity and at Footfall stepped back on board her flag ship for the first time in 12 years.  Thayne was still out there, hellbent on vengeance.  If Trenne was to stand any chance of surviving she would have to amass a fleet to that could rival Thaynes.  Fortunatly for Trenne her father had a contingency plan, one that would take deep into the expanse to face things man was never meant to know.  But if she could survive all the daggers in the dark and the beasts lurking between the stars she would reclaim her destiny and restore the Zypher Dynasty to it's former glory.

Edited by ieatdeadpeople2, 05 February 2014 - 08:26 PM.

• Nameless2all and Tenebrae like this

#8 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Since you possibly have a Xeno character, starting either with the crew already assembled on the ship, space station, world in the Koronus Expanse, etc., is the best idea.  This can allow you to go two routes:  Lets the players decide the back story for how, when, why, and where they all met, to include the ork; or allows you the opportunity to decide how, when, why, and where they all meet to include plot devices for latter. 

Example: The Ork player was left for dead on planet 3432Xy by a random NPC RT.  The ork PC later rescues PC RT from a Clawed Fiend on said planet, while looking for a way off.

Another option, though it will be hard to do, is to have the RT receive his Warrant, ship, and crew at a certain location, and this is where they all meet for the first time. 

Example:  RT's father was killed during a boarding action involving DE while scouting solar system R6545Z.  The ship is receiving repairs at a dockyard near Footfall along with fresh crew.  The PC's are transported (or some were already there) for the Ceremonial ship launching, indoctrination of the new command crew, and void burial of the recently departed.  The reasons why the PC's were picked were because that is who the Warrant backers chose to accompany the RT (they were the best of the best, the past RT owed them a favor, a "trust worthy" friend recommended them, etc. etc.).  The Ork PC was already part of the original crew, but was severally wounded prior to the DE boarding and killing the RT's father.  Seeing a challenge opportunity missed and not wanting to miss further ones (and maybe feeling remorseful), the Ork PC has agreed to another term of service to help the RT seek revenge.  And also the shadier Power Backers for the Warrant want to see if this new upstart RT will continue the Cold Trade his father had started.  While at the "Christening" of the ship, other merchants, traders, men for hire, and maybe more xenos, see an opportunity for more coin and business and will likely be present.  To include a few fellow NPC RT's who want to say their condolences.

Obviously, this doesn't have to happen at Footfall.  It could happen at Damaris, hours before the orks invade (hehe), at Svard prior to it becoming "infected," or another other place in the Koronus Expanse.  The only reason why I suggest it's a place in the Koronus area, is because of the Xeno PC, other wise I would suggest it happening in the Calaxis Sector.

These are just ideas off the top of my head.  Hope it helps some.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#9 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Concepts to start future endeavors can be as various as their are ships on the Koronus Expanse.  They can happen via Radio Signal communication (This is the Merchant ship Jaded Hope, we are under attack *explosion in background* by unknown vessel at quadrant 32WT095611R and need immediate *creature roar in background* assistance *gunfire*- message ends*), Astropath communication from someone, another NPC RT ship enters port with a wild tail or with huge holes in his/her ship, or maybe when they are at Port Wander/Footfall/random void station/ship with docking berths, they receive all kinds of radio, astropath, or even hand delivered messages offering "business opportunities."

After re-reading you OP, I noticed you already had these ideas.  *shrugs*  Maybe a few can gave you additional ideas.  Happy gaming though.

Edited by Nameless2all, 05 February 2014 - 12:08 PM.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#10 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

With this detailed back story to draw on it grounds the characters and I can reveal more things about them as they go through the campaign.  Secrets from their past.

For instance Trenne ended up dicovering her sister was still alive and being held captive in the heathen worlds by a slaver.

She is currenlty in the process of reclaiming a world she is the ruler of by birth etc...

This is why FFG stories aren't as fun as making your own, you can't ground them in a sort of context that really incorperates your players stories.  

That being said their books are great for stats and premade settings.

#11 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Something else you want to remeber is its good to draw the players in right from the start with a bang.  Sex, violence and humor.

Think about how romeo and juliet starts, there's two gaurds making sex jokes then a fight breaks out. 

A great way to start your campaign with a ready made explanation for why the ork is there is you caould have your rogue traders father or mother or uncle or what ever die right at the start of the game in an attack somewhere in the expanse.  Your ork is hired to help fight what ever force is attacking your players house. 

Your rogue trader inherits the warrant suddenly and your players are immediately thrust into the fray.

Don't hold back either, my astropath had to burn a fate point the first session we played it drew my players in immediately.

But it is your game do what you want.

I've always wanted to start a game where the players are gathered at some familly function and the warrant holder is assasinated which kicks off a sudden civil war in the house their a part of for control of the warrant.  I just think that would be a great way to start a campaign.  Think game of thrones in space.

#12 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

So I am starting a Rogue Trader game with my pathfinder group after this next campaign which will be ending in about 2-3 weeks, so I have that time to prepare something.

I have a rough story and basically want to make it an open-sector campaign where the players decide what they want to do. The only problem is I don't know where to start. I don't want to just start of "ok, you are on your ship. where do you want to go?" and I am trying to avoid the whole you hear about X in a bar on a space station (though that will probably be how they find most of what is going on in the sector). My plan is to make up most of the story based on their decision but have some stuff written in (you hear about a space hulk orbiting a planet with potentially valuable technology aboard, or you get a distress call from a blockaded planet that is in desperate need of supplies).

Since one member of the group has already expressed an interest in being an Ork it looks like the group is going to go in a more space privateer direction rather than an imperial missionary direction.

So anyone know a good way to start this?

Heya,

It'a  sandbox, so just have an overriding theme, a universal goal, something they have to work towards. And have a few pre-made "quests" and "encounters" if you will, that you can put in for if things are churning slow. But be ready to have random things to throw at them because in a sandbox they may go directions you didn't think about, so you need to keep it interesting and reward them for roleplaying and exploring.

Example:

There's a star that is known to be going supernova soon in a system. All the privateers and rogue traders are alert and racing against the clock to get in, basically rake out all the bounty they can, and get their claimed and unclaimed worlds clear for fear of losing wealth. For every world they lose to another privateer/rogue trader, they lose profit factor. Start with a higher than normal  profit factor too, to let them go nuts with fun stuff and then fight to keep it once they get a taste. Throw in encounters and twists as they try to go to place to place. Have a few encounters already setup. Like one or two planets or moons that are already pre-set encounters that you will make happen. Or some encounters that are ship to ship that you already have made up. Give them hints during social interaction on locations about hidden artifacts (if they have gear lust). Give them some sweeping easy fights. Give them some serious boss-like-fights. Give them time to sometimes talk through things and be ready to completely change your encounter if someone is clever enough to talk their way through something and avoid conflict and what not.

Very best,

• Erathia likes this

Rogue Trader PBP at forums.gvillegaming.org :: I host games, feel free to come by!

#13 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Ok, I probably need a new way to ask this question. My question is not how do I start, the crew has already been formed and they all have their own backstory as to how they joined the ship and past adventures that have been either made up or taken from our other 40k rpg campaigns. They already have the ship which likewise has it's own backstory. I also have most of the plots/missions written out.

My question is where in the koronus expanse should I start? are there some good waystations or something that the players can use as some sort of "base" or something like that? Someplace that they can count on as a safe haven in this sandbox style campaign. Is there something like that in existence or will I need to make it up?

Also I made my first rogue trader character to test out the character creation system so I can help players make characters and I am really liking them so I want to introduce them when the players go to specific location that they "own" in the sector. They will basically be a rival rogue trader who has a vendetta against the PC rogue trader's dynasty for their ancestors stealing control of a system from them. Here is a brief overview of the Rogue trader, let me know what you think. 

Aestaban Von Yorke of the Yorke dynasty inherited his family's fortune when his father was killed in a brutal boarding action by Xenos raiders. His family's fortune comes largely from a cluster of planets on the periphery of the Koronus Expanse who's mines are rich with adamantium and promethium. Von Yorke in his late years (~150 yrs old) has grown weary of exploration and has settled down on one of these planets (yet to be named), meanwhile his vast fleets ply the void trading goods in the name of the Yorke Dynasty. Von Yorke considers himself something of a governor of the system in all but name, though he technically was never appointed to any political power by the adeptus terra he nevertheless has a large influence in the government of the planets. Most of the governors would rather give into his requests rather than risk economic hardship should Von Yorke withdraw his support to that planet.

Edited by Robomummy, 06 February 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#14 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

Ok, I probably need a new way to ask this question. My question is not how do I start, the crew has already been formed and they all have their own backstory as to how they joined the ship and past adventures that have been either made up or taken from our other 40k rpg campaigns. They already have the ship which likewise has it's own backstory. I also have most of the plots/missions written out.

Awesome.  That is the hardest part.

Take that back, the hardest part is when the PC's go off plot and you have to make it up on the fly (though it's also the most rewarding part for you as the GM, because you get to look back and be like "I just did that, didn't I?")

My question is where in the koronus expanse should I start? are there some good waystations or something that the players can use as some sort of "base" or something like that? Someplace that they can count on as a safe haven in this sandbox style campaign. Is there something like that in existence or will I need to make it up?

The Salvage Yards, Damaris, Footfall, Portwander (but don't let the Orc wander on the port though : ), Zayth, a random Universe Mass Conveyor ship with Docking Ports in a random solar system (random to the PC's, not random to you), The Hermitage (misspelled?), a random Void Waystation placed somewhere (stats in the Core RT book where the example ships are at)......  Didn't we already name a few here? 

Start at footfall. 

the world of Damaris. This offers the possiblity of serious violence and/or profit.

:D

#15 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

The ultimate 'safe haven" for your Explorers is Svard. An ancient colony founded by your Dynasty and still totally loyal to you, and they'd be happy to turn over control of their fairly well-established colony just as soon as you stamp out this pesky, not-at-all sinister, totally minor insurrection problem they're having.

• Nameless2all likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS