Heroes and Legends Spoilers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FliptheForce

FliptheForce

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

The Living Force podcast have made a videocast to showcase a new objective set in the upcoming Heroes and Legends set.

Check it out here!

http://www.fliptheforce.com

Regional Winner - 2013 and 2014 

Winner of Three Store Championships 2014

Worlds Top 16 - 2013 -- Nationals Top 16 - 2014

#2 Czubaka

Czubaka

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

Another one:

#3 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

It's good to see Smugglers get such an amazing pod, they were really struggling for a while there. :P

• MarthWMaster likes this

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

It's an amazing objective set, but it doesn't really interact with the force balance theme (at least directly, Outmaneuver could be used that way). As the cycle goes on and various effects and synergies based off the force struggle start hitting the meta this might lose a little strength.

#5 OrganicJedi

OrganicJedi

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

This pod kinda pisses me off. Wheres the parity? What does, or will scum get in the future to balance this? Power creep like this just reinforces the perceived design bias. Han vs Boba, Falcon vs Slave or Chewie vs Bossak. The list goes on. Im not asking for a broken scum pod, just something to get excited about. Hell, even IG88's new pod is a joke compared to this, which is three expansions away. Bounty hunters get no respect.
  • Keffisch likes this

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

It's one pack out of six and one Objective Set out of 30. How about you wait till you see the rest of the cycles objective sets.

Edited by Toqtamish, 07 February 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#7 OrganicJedi

OrganicJedi

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

It's one pack out of six and one Objective Set out of 30. How about you wait till you see the rest of the cycles objective sets.

There is no scum pod in this force pack and the only one we've seen is far off and weak. It may end up balanced come cycle end, but probably in the form of Sith getting stronger and scum overpaying for a mechanic that has built in draw backs. Folks are tired of waiting.

#8 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

This pod kinda pisses me off. Wheres the parity? What does, or will scum get in the future to balance this? Power creep like this just reinforces the perceived design bias. Han vs Boba, Falcon vs Slave or Chewie vs Bossak. The list goes on. Im not asking for a broken scum pod, just something to get excited about. Hell, even IG88's new pod is a joke compared to this, which is three expansions away. Bounty hunters get no respect.

You over-estimate this Smuggler pod.  The Smuggler only limitation on it is pretty problematic.  Straight Smuggler still has few ways to answer Sith and Navy Rush decks and splashing this pod into Jedi/Rebel is difficult without losing Han/Stakes/Anoat/Falcon/Etc or something meaningful in the main faction.

The fact of the matter is that unless you get the LOL Unblockables! start, Smugglers needed help.  They can't control the force basically at all, they have relatively low hit points, and have lower sheer burst than Rebels.  This pod gives them something hardy and some tricks for leveling the odds.

Also, I think this pod is not nearly as good as people are making it out to be.  Most of the time the big guy will cost 3-4, which while cheap is still very manageable for Sith to handle since its just one guy.  It will make life harder for Sith to be sure since that one guy is quite good, but it is pretty far from 'broken'.  Honestly, Vader's Fist puts the clamps on this guy pretty hard, and the Emperor can still lock out half your board as it is.

All that said, I do agree that Scum need some help, but I think they are getting some interesting tricks that have yet to be realized.  IG-88s pod is a really nice step in the right direction.  Scum make a great splash, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them as a main after this arc is mostly realized. Yes, they got the short end of the stick early on, boo hoo, there's nothing we can do now but wait for the new pods and hope that pod diversity helps them rise up.

FWIW, I've played a handful of games with the new pod after agonizing over how to slot it into decks with the Smuggler only restriction, and I haven't been all that impressed, it can be very clunky.  The Resource is the best card in the pod IMO.

• mischraum.de likes this

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#9 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

The fact of the matter is that unless you get the LOL Unblockables! start, Smugglers needed help.  They can't control the force basically at all, they have relatively low hit points, and have lower sheer burst than Rebels.  This pod gives them something hardy and some tricks for leveling the odds.

I would disagree with cards like Bamboozle and cloud city operatives the smugglers have a good shot at holding the force using tricks to move focus tokens to the opponents characters. I think we are over-estimating this pod because we don't realize yet how unpredictable the force struggle is going to be. Currently you know when attacking of defending (for the most part) what orbs you will have left during the struggle. Now with echo's of the force and all the force committing based card that it becomes a lot more difficult to forsee.

I think this pod is powerful, but not over-powerful. I would agree the smuggler's only restriction is more meddlesome than we realize but I think this pod will still hold it's own as this cycle continues. It will definitely allow less flexibility in the force struggle than the other new pods.

#10 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

I think between this Smuggler set and Sleuth Scouts we will be seeing more of dark side's low cost units make a comeback. Units like Jawas, Espos , nad Ties will be used more frequently. 

And for me, personally, it's great. I'm a bit tired of the big guys dominating the games. 

#11 FliptheForce

FliptheForce

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hida,

Why does Vader's Fist hurt Freeholders?

http://www.fliptheforce.com

Regional Winner - 2013 and 2014 

Winner of Three Store Championships 2014

Worlds Top 16 - 2013 -- Nationals Top 16 - 2014

#12 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

There is no scum pod in this force pack and the only one we've seen is far off and weak. It may end up balanced come cycle end, but probably in the form of Sith getting stronger and scum overpaying for a mechanic that has built in draw backs. Folks are tired of waiting.

Every faction gets missed in at least one pack, assuming no neutral sets. That means 5 Scum sets are coming out in every pack after this first one.

I don't know who these "folks" are and what they are waiting for but if you want to play Scum then play Scum.
  • Fbaranow, MasterJediAdam and KennedyHawk like this

#13 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

Agree with Toq here: play what you want to play and get good at it. There is way more to this game than winning, and if you know your deck and its limitations you are far more likely to win than with a copy of the deck of another person.

• Fbaranow, GroggyGolem and See Threebilbo like this

Welcome to the machine!

#14 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hida,

I'm guessing because Vader's Fist hurts just about everything?  It's main advantage against Freeholders is that it gives the DS card advantage without making the Freeholders cheaper.

#15 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

We hear that something is overpowered all the time. Same thing was with the holocron, the speeder decks etc. 

The truth is that no deck is undefeated, every deck has a weakness. And from what I see lately the playes who play vertisile, flexible decks tend to do better at large events than than people who run decks based on single theme or synergy. 

Great thing about O. Sets is that each one covers a different element of play (offense, defense, force, resources, healing etc.). Looking at the Set's primary function instead of just inter-set synergies is a great way of building a strong, flexible deck.

Just this week I have mixed yellow Han, Wookies and Lando, with Leia and Dantooine. For me it ran much better than more standard Falcon / Luke / To Arms! version. It was much less vulnerable against Navy and still held ground against Sith. At the same time Leia protected by Wookies held the force untill it was time to bounce her back for final strike. 

Edited by Fbaranow, 11 February 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#16 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hida,

I'm guessing because Vader's Fist hurts just about everything?  It's main advantage against Freeholders is that it gives the DS card advantage without making the Freeholders cheaper.

Also, 501st Legion man-handles the Freeholders provided you win Edge.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#17 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

I probably would not compare Sith Holocron with overpowered future cards ...

Welcome to the machine!

#18 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

I probably would not compare Sith Holocron with overpowered future cards ...

I was not comparing the two sets. I just ment that one card or the other is called "overpowered" all the time. Then everyone gets used to it an the game imho stays balanced. Even the best set is just 20% of the deck and will not win you the game on it's own. 

• Toqtamish likes this

#19 cetiken

cetiken

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

In what world are scum considerd directly opposite of sumugglers?  They each do diffrent things and any need for parity is a thing that exists inside your own head.  IG-88 is gona make scum intresting though it seems likely that FFG will keep giving all the good dark side cards to Sith.

#20 OrganicJedi

OrganicJedi

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

In what world are scum considerd directly opposite of sumugglers?  They each do diffrent things and any need for parity is a thing that exists inside your own head.  IG-88 is gona make scum intresting though it seems likely that FFG will keep giving all the good dark side cards to Sith.

The design parity should be obvious. Bossak, Get me solo and trandosan hunters are blatant. Along with capture vs rescue. Even future cards like slicing in vs watchful eyes continue the pattern. IG88 is a step in the right direction. Scum desperatly need pods that are good on thier own and synergize within the objective set like this one.

Scum is suffering from a lack of force icons, paying too heavily for the capture mechanic and as mentioned, terrible internal objective synergy. Scum have cards suited to handle the false report, but thier in crap pods that require other crap pods to compensate. Try making Corrupt official and/or shadows over nar shada work without scum support. You'll give up pretty quick.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS