Noiseless Movement, I luv ya!

I mean, how awesome is THAT???????

Very thematic. I love it, too!

#22 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

This all gets a big thumbs up from me! This quest looks like fun, and I wonder how this boss battle will differ from the Morgul Vale (also has a three boss battle). The secrecy support is huge and I predict that Leaf Brooch alone will make secrecy a much more viable mechanic. The next thing that's needed is a hero or attachment that raises your secrecy level to 25 to make a lot of the older quests more secrecy friendly.

I like the art on the box and would love to get that character as a hero. It's nice to see a female character who looks strong and tough and could hold her own in a fight against a pack of wargs. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Arwen, Naith Guide and Galadhrim Minstrel, but I also think there's a place for female characters who look just as tough as Boromir.

Edited by Style75, 04 February 2014 - 08:05 AM.

• danpoage likes this

#23 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

totally.. we need some good female heroes.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#24 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

Nice preview.

The quest looks like a lot of fun, as they say it's replayability is high, and with those undead guardians and all as a theme.

Though they state a spirit hero's coming, there's just no way to guess/know who the woman on the front of the pack is. 

Might be the hero, might be an ally of any sphere. I agree that see looks to fair to be a encouter card though.

My single guess on this picture is that it is not an elf. She looks very human, so I don't think it's Arwen.

Maybe a Dunedain spirit hero; made up female character.

Also they rave about the brooch in the article, but I'm not convinced.

Events are played and then gone, so people usually only add those really powerful/needed ones to their deck.

Allies and attachments stay in play. Way better, so why make a deck full of events?

Noiceless Movement let's you recycle it with secrecy though....then it might be the first of these type of events.

Otherwise I don't see the point.

"Not all those who wander are lost"

#25 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

I really don't think that box art is our new heroine.
But so and so I think that this pack will be secrecy pack (as Druadan Forest was monosphere pack) and we will get some secrecy hero. I have written it in other topic but I will write it here, too. I hope so much we will get spirit Haldir who reduces your threat for playing secrecy cards... So much!

But I am surprised that we haven't seen a single Rohan card spoiled in AP previews.

Sorry for my bad English.

#26 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Noccus, secrecy decks use a lot of events so the brooch would pay huge dividends over the course of a game. There are many ways to recycle event cards from your discard pile (dwarven tomb, Hama, plus all the books/scrolls/tomes from the last cycle) so I see the brooch as getting a lot of action and being a key part of the secrecy deck. One of the complaints about secrecy is that it just wasn't worth it, it was still too expensive to play the cards to get so little in return. The brooch goes a long way towards relieving that problem and makes 2-hero secrecy decks a viable play style.

#27 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Plus, secrecy stacks, so the brooch can combine with current secrecy cards (Timely Aid) and make them completely free. The game really seems to be shifting away from the early focus on resource as the only way to do anything, and lots of 'em, to offering different avenues to afford cards, and that's quite exciting. Even card draw is diversifying.

#28 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

@Style75:

Oh I play secrecy decks every now and then, but I don't use that many events I must say; secrecy or not.

Maybe we just build very different decks.

I agree on your reasoning that there are enough cards to recycle events now though.

Didn't look that far yet; good point. Does make it more wothwile probably.

And I'm very happy they are finally futher developing secrecy. I've always liked it.

This brooch will find a good home in mono-sphere secrecy decks no doubt, as they stack. 

#29 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Plus, secrecy stacks, so the brooch can combine with current secrecy cards (Timely Aid) and make them completely free. The game really seems to be shifting away from the early focus on resource as the only way to do anything, and lots of 'em, to offering different avenues to afford cards, and that's quite exciting. Even card draw is diversifying.

I agree. I think the most interesting aspect of this upcoming cycle is that the designers are giving us new ways to do things. This will dramatically increase the number of viable deck types as we get alternatives to those essential cards we see in every deck.

I still think the game could do with a massive infusion of player cards (even just a one-off "deluxe player pack" or something like that) to enable alternative deck building, but without that the next best thing are cards like the brooch that make other existing cards more playable.

#30 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

really cool to see secrecy making a comeback.

Yes lets hope this time it will be Solid secrecy mechanic

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#31 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

I still think the game could do with a massive infusion of player cards (even just a one-off "deluxe player pack" or something like that) to enable alternative deck building, but without that the next best thing are cards like the brooch that make other existing cards more playable.

Not really quote, but 'deluxe player pack' words give me an idea:

You get free deluxe little packs (5 player cards, for example) when you exchange in the shop your Proofs of Purchases.

:)

Maybe about cycles: if you exchange all the Proofs of Purchases of 1 entire cycle (for example, Khazad Dum with Dwarrofdelf), you get the 'Deluxe mini-pack' of player cards.

Edited by Mndela, 04 February 2014 - 10:38 AM.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#32 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Leaf Brooch is a passive effect, so if you play a 0 cost card like Daeron's Runes or Elrond's Counsel it will also trigger there and be useless the rest of the round for an event card you intend to play later, so it does have a slight negative effect since you can not control which event it will trigger on. I am still quite intrigued but the jury is still out, resource acceleration if it is available for the deck you are playing will probably trump this card every time. It will also only work while in secrecy which is not easy to do, and will probably be more difficult with the Doom theme developing this cycle.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#33 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

But I am surprised that we haven't seen a single Rohan card spoiled in AP previews.

I'm not - I'd not expect a lot of Rohan in the actual cycle, and the articles have stated as much.

From the Dunland Trap article: "By the time we started working on this set [The Dunland Trap], we’d already bolstered the Dwarf, Gondor, Rohan, and Hobbit traits with heroes and allies to the point that each offered players the ability to build fun and thematic decks around them. It was high time to give Elves some more attention. "

In other words, by the time the 6 APs were developed, the designers felt they'd already bolstered Rohan enough (in Voice of Isenguard).

So, this to me, along with other comments (from this article: "the Adventure Pack also supports a wide range of player themes and mechanics that include the Noldor, Dúnedain, and Scout traits; increased interaction for multiplayer games; and the popular Secrecy mechanic that rewards players who can keep their Threat at or below twenty."), seem to suggest we will *not* see a ton of Rohan in the cycle.

The Voice of Isenguard will give us cool Rohan stuff - but I bet in the cycle itself we'll only get a handful of Rohan cards.

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 04 February 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#34 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

You are probably right, Dain Ironfoot. But I hope we will see at least 2 Rohan tactics heroes (including Éomer), 5 real allies (not chump blockers) and some useful attachments and events that will boost attacking to the staging area.

#35 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

What I really hope to see from Voice of Isengard is a card that lets a Rohan hero pay for any card with the Rohan trait regardless of sphere. This is the sort of effect that is really needed in this game, something to make traits (factions) really mean something.

#36 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'd also like cards that interact with the non-faction traits like healer, warrior, scout, etc.  We need something to make "Guard of the Citadel" stand out from "Pelargir Ship Captain" (a card with the same stats, same cost, same faction but lacking the warrior trait and instead having a response).  As more cards enter the game with identical stats, the value of the traits will become more important as a way of adding value to cards.

#37 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'd like to see something made especially for Théoden(rohan allies booster or the thing Style75 mentioned) , so people will use him more. If I want to make solo Rohan deck, there is no reason for me to play the king, except for theme.

#38 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

What I really hope to see from Voice of Isengard is a card that lets a Rohan hero pay for any card with the Rohan trait regardless of sphere. This is the sort of effect that is really needed in this game, something to make traits (factions) really mean something.

the designers have said (and I wish I could remember where) that a focus on traits really isn't their design goal, but rather, a focus on developing distinct spheres.

now, certainly, they do give traits some love. but, it's not their express purpose to build up traits as much as it is to build up the 4 spheres and how they operate internally and are distinct from the others.

#39 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

the designers have said (and I wish I could remember where) that a focus on traits really isn't their design goal, but rather, a focus on developing distinct spheres.

now, certainly, they do give traits some love. but, it's not their express purpose to build up traits as much as it is to build up the 4 spheres and how they operate internally and are distinct from the others.

And this is a good thing IMO. The sphere distinction is the single most important aspect of game balance.
  • Dain Ironfoot likes this

#40 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Very true.
A few weeks ago my group was discussing this around the gaming table.
We came up with the idea of a single Deluxe expansion per sphere with only player cards, as a cycle sorta.
Including 2 or 4 new heroes of that sphere too.
This would mean some 50 cards per sphere though, which might be overkill...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS