The Rule of Awesome

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BenEggler

BenEggler

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

In my time playing Dungeons and Dragons, there was one rule that I always felt was the most important: above and beyond all others.

The Rule of Awesome.

The Rule of Awesome dictates that if you attempt to do something so epic, cool, intelligently thought out, or perfect for a particular task, you can do it even if it breaks or bends the rules. Simply because, it's awesome.

I was finally able to use the Rule of Awesome in Arkham.

The other night, I was playing a game with two of my buddies. We each played one investigator against Nyogtha. One of my friends was playing Wilson Richards. Late in the game, he ventured into the Plateau of Leng to close and seal our 5th gate. This was the encounter he came across:

"The Loathsome villagers send out their strongest warrior to fight you in unarmed combat. Pass a Fight (-1) [2] check to defeat him and draw 1 Unique Item and gain 1 Clue token. Otherwise lose 1 Sanity and 2 Stamina."

Little did these villagers know, Wilson Richards was adept in the Martial Arts. The Martial Arts skill card says:

"Any Phase: When you make any Combat check, gain +2 for every empty hand you use."

Now, any Arkhamite can look at these two cards and say "Well, Martial Arts only works in Combat Checks. The Other World card dictates that you need to make a Fight check, not a Combat check."

True, true. This is 100% accurate. Alas, this is where The Rule of Awesome comes in.

Imagine the scene in your head:

Wilson Richards stumbled upon an isolated, grungy village deep in the Plateau of Leng. The villagers take him for an enemy, fearing this stranger in their distant corner of the Universe. They grab hold of Wilson Richards and strip him of all his items and weapons. They say that if he wants to escape, he must fight their bravest, strongest warrior in UNARMED combat.

Wilson Richards gets into the ring, unarmed. Even without his weapons, he is still an expert in the Martial Arts. This will surely help him in his fight against the fearsome warrior.

Even though the Other World states that it is purely a fight check, in the context of the scene, it is still a combat. It even states that "their strongest warrior [will] fight you in unarmed combat." 

Because of The Rule of Awesome, I told my friend that of course, he has every right and ability to use his Martial Arts skill to gain +4 dice (+2 for each empty hand) in his combat against this strong warrior. Wilson Richards added 4 dice to his fight check and demolished the warrior with his Martial Arts abilities.

And it was awesome.

Does anyone else do anything of the sort? I'd love to hear some other instances in Arkham where you bent the rules to either do something awesome or something that made absolute perfect sense, despite what the rules may say. :)

• Tox likes this

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Well, the "real" point of the game is to follow the rules, but the real "real" point is to have fun (what does the word "game" even mean?). So no harm, no foul!

Aweome, for me, would be trying to come up with a justification about why he couldn't use MA. Maybe the unarmed combat was a strength feat, like sumo wrestling; maybe the villagers are just damn huge and can't be affected by a combat technique that is reliant on fluidity.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,448 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

maybe the villagers are just damn huge and can't be affected by a combat technique that is reliant on fluidity.

:laughter: You reminded me of the "01" Martial Arts Sweeps & Throws Superlarge crit strikes table in Rolemaster (old edition): "You tried to do what to the Dragon? Throw it? Poor fool..:"

But aye, Ben, even though you broke all the rules by doing this, I sense the awesomeness in the move.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 BenEggler

BenEggler

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

maybe the villagers are just damn huge and can't be affected by a combat technique that is reliant on fluidity.

:laughter: You reminded me of the "01" Martial Arts Sweeps & Throws Superlarge crit strikes table in Rolemaster (old edition): "You tried to do what to the Dragon? Throw it? Poor fool..:"

But aye, Ben, even though you broke all the rules by doing this, I sense the awesomeness in the move.

I'm glad you can sense it! Breaking rules is definitely something I don't like to do. I absolutely love challenges and will go out of my way to ensure that we are following every single rule to the T. Especially when it comes to rounding something up or down. But this just made too much sense not to do it, haha. And yeah, it was more about having fun at that point as it was. We absolutely demolished Nyogtha with sealing gates. The doom track was only at six when we beat the game (dropped a few tokens from some awesome cards).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS