Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

What's up with that and gaming?

http://uk.finance.ya...=GAW.L;range=1y

#2 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Might have something to do with the fact that they ordered all metal miniatures to be returned for them for melting down. THIS thread at Warseer discusses it.v

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#3 Totsuzenheni

Totsuzenheni

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

What's up with that and gaming?

http://uk.finance.ya...=GAW.L;range=1y

I took a look at that link and selected 'max'. It looks to me like no-one really knows how much GW is worth, and that GW has been here before and they'll be here again.

#4 Twodogz

Twodogz

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

Although it's a long article, if you like/love Warhammer you owe it to yourself to understand what's going on.

• d6 Evil Men and PiltharShokmeister like this

FFG's WFRP3 Forum: Home to the MMO and D&D4e community.

The Borg here cry unless you comply.

#5 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

The best thing that could hppen, the way I see it, GW would give or share the right for WF and W40k with FFG.

Or just give FFG more free hand to create games set in those. Especialy I would love to see FFg having permision to create miniatures from them so they could do a new edition of Warhammer Quest.

#6 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

The best thing that could hppen, the way I see it, GW would give or share the right for WF and W40k with FFG.

Or just give FFG more free hand to create games set in those. Especialy I would love to see FFg having permision to create miniatures from them so they could do a new edition of Warhammer Quest.

Not a hope, old son! IP is their major money spinner coupled with figures. I will eat my hat if GW give FFG those rights

#7 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Not a hope, old son! IP is their major money spinner coupled with figures. I will eat my hat if GW give FFG those rights

If 3d printing keeps marching in the direction it's marching GW may eat your hat before you get an opportunity to :)

#8 PiltharShokmeister

PiltharShokmeister

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

What flavour are your hats?! And why is everyone going to eat them?!

#9 Twodogz

Twodogz

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

I agree with this, they're already "circling the drain" so to speak, and I think they'll ride that IP till the doors close.  You know a company is in dire straights when their key customer is a kid that tries their product for one summer then moves on.

Don't get me wrong, they've butchered their IP since WFB3 turning the game into a 12yo's wet dream for an extra buck or two, and I'm sure they would do it again and again for more, but they'll never let go of control of it IMHO.

#10 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

If 3d printing keeps marching in the direction it's marching GW may eat your hat before you get an opportunity to :)

I am a modelmaker by profession and deal with all types of rapid protyping every day. Unfortunately we are a long way off being able to produce the same quality in rapid protyped figures as can be done by injection moulding or centrifugal casting. Also the material costs are horrendous. To produce an Ork Stompa as an SLS would cost no change out of £5000 in materials alone, and the quality is nowhere near as good. Where we are in ten years I would not like to say, but for now GW have not got anymore to fear from 3D printing than the cheap clothing manfacturers.

Edited by ragnar63, 16 February 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#11 Twodogz

Twodogz

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Hero Forge Customizable Miniatures.

A mini designed the way you want, on demand and they look pretty neat to me.

• GmMichael likes this

#12 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

The highly detailed ones look like a SLA and the low detail ones a SLS. I would love to know what the unit costs will be, and the turn around time, although the material costs may be a lot cheaper in the USA. Great if the prices are right, in which case GW do have a major problem.

#13 GmMichael

GmMichael

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

There will always be collectors within a niche for high quality product, but out in the wilds where most gamers and budgets live I think that even the current 3d tech, which is really in baby steps, will be more than adequate for many.

• Keeop likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS