New players into existing groups?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chorpa

Chorpa

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:13 AM

Recently got the game and we are about put together a new group and hopefully play our first session today. But one thing that has been on my mind since I read the rules.

How do you handle Obligations when introducing new players into an existing group?

Do you just give the new player the Obligation value for the new group size and run it from there? Or do you modify all the group members original Obligation values to even out the new member?

As I see it there are pros and cons either way. But I am interested in hearing how others have tackled this problem.  :)

Confutatis maledictis,
Flammis acribus addictis,
Voca me cum benedictis.

#2 LordBritish

LordBritish

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

I wouldn't change your current obiglation, but ensure that the new members follow typical obigation rules for their size. So 5-10 obligation, this will mean they are over mean obligation, which means a lot more interesting situations willl occur that will force them to tackle at least some of their outstanding obligation.

• Kshatriya likes this

#3 PhilB

PhilB

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

Here are the rules I set up when I started our groups game.

XP: Characters start with the full session XP but lose 25 * current act due to not actually playing.  The new player will recieve an additional allotment of xp for each session played until XP matches other player totals.
Max Skill Ranks: No skill can exceed 2 + the act number being played from the adventure path
Credits: 500 + 1/3 of the average accumulated credits the other characters have earned
Restricted Items: Players may not begin with restricted items
Item Modifications: Attachments are allowed at startup.  Additional modifications for those attachments require mechanics rolls by the player, GM will witness the rolls and standard credits will be charged per attempt.  Further details are on p 187 in the Installing Mods section.
Obligation: 10 point obligation
Additional Obligation: Characters added after 4 sessions begin with an additional 5 point obligation: Crew Replacement, Member of crew is a new comer to the ship and works to gain some reputation with the previous crew members.  Believing the result is some resentment from the older members.  This obligation lasts until another replacement is hired by the crew or GM approval.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS