First 2 player game

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

All I can say is wow. My buddy and me played the coop with lore and tactics decks from core set. We decided on the passage through mirkwood, we thought it would be a breeze since I've beaten it with 3 of the 4 decks so far. That thing kicked out butts. I don't know if it was just bad card draws with lots of high level creatures and location after location or what but man, I gotta say I feel kinda bad. Seemed like we couldn't get ahead on the threat. Anyway, were both fairly new to game, it was good but just can't believe we got it handed to us..lol. So far I'm 1/4 with lore, 1/4 with spirit, and 2/2 with leadership on solo play. I hadn't played the tactics yet. I'm open to any suggestions being how it was our first coop series. Anyway, thanks guys!

#2 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

what you need to realize is that you are basically playing a single deck.. not 2 different decks.

When you make a deck you make it so synergies and combos occur though out it. This exact method needs to be used for co-op deck creation. The "hands" as I call the individual decks form a single "deck" that two people play and just like building any single hand deck you need keep the focus of a co-op deck.

Some things to consider...

The ONLY cards that need to be in a individual hand are allies. Attachments and Events can be inside either hand and played to help the other hand. The prime and most obvious example of this is that steward of gondor can be in a deck, but the leadership resources can be generated in Hand A, even though the target for steward is a hero in Hand B.. maybe a spirit hero. There is no need to build Hand B to have a way to cast leadership resources or have steward in it at all. Heroes are also like this. Heroes are the most powerful part of a deck, so if you can get heroes that complement each other rather than just being resource matches (common in solo decks) you can make very powerful combos like Brand become super duper powerful as an example. Also remember to look at things like sentential and ranged keywords a solo player soon forget about.

Another common thing is for different hands to focus on different aspects of the game. Questing, Support in one hand and Combat in another. It is a little more complex than that but often you will be using optional engagement in conjunction with threat levels to move all combat to a single side. One of the upshots of this is that the quest / support hand (Lore / Spirit) has a lot of ranges and sentinel.

My guess is that you just picked up two solo decks and went at in. In most cases if a deck is a good solo deck it is not a good co-op hand. Most people believe that the game is generally easier 2 handed and I would agree with that, as you add hands up to four it just gets easier and easier. There is of course some quest exceptions but in general this is true. The misconception that it is harder is usually form a basic lack of understanding about how co-op decks need to be designed using BOTH hands in mind.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#3 EclatK

EclatK

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:32 AM

Well, the basic deck are pretty bad, so no wonder if you are not able to deal with the senario in two player. You should try mixing tac/leadership to deal with the combat and one other deck with lore/spirit to deal with the quest and support.The fact is that, in multiplayer, there is generaly more than 1oppenent card per player dealt each turn. So it is usualy more difficult to beat some senario in multiplayer.

#4 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

That all makes sense. Still unbelievable in 3 games we couldn't beat a level 1 scenario. But your right, you have to deal 1 card per player to staging area. A couple of things occurred as well:

1) sentinel : the player with sentinel can send it over during the other players defense step to block for player being attacked by creature?

2) player that has a card that says "all enemies engaged with player cannot attack this phase" can cast it on other players defense step when he's being attacked? If so, if he waits for shadow cards to be dealt, then plays the action and the enemy can't attack, does the shadow card just go to discard and not get played

3) it's defense stage and player being attacked plays a card that allows him to have an extra character defending. How is damage mitigated with 2 characters defending? I know you can't normally defend with 2 but this was a special card that let him do it.

4) shadow card is dealt, player declares defender whom upon declaring as a defender does 2 direct damage to engaged enemy and kills it before any resolution of shadow card or damage to character. Does the shadow card just go in discard and no damage mitigated to character?

Thanks guys. Just a couple of things I ran into in my first coop game.

#5 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

1) Yes, characters with the Sentinel keyword can defend on behalf of any other character and take all the damage.

2) What card is this? If it is an event card, it would probably be played before any shadow cards are dealt.

3) What card is this? Only one character at a time can defend against a single attack; there is no way to divide damage between different characters, unless specified by a card text.

4) If the enemy receives two damage as soon as the character is declared as a defender, then I wouldn't say that the shadow card was even dealt.

#6 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

3) He is talking about http://hallofbeorn.c...76-0801200c9038. In this case you add the total value of defense of all defending characters.

Then, if the attacker gives damage (attack higher than defense), you assign all damage to one of the defenders.

If that one dies and there are more damage to assign you give it to the other, and successively till there are no more damage....

Carlos José Matos

#7 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

2) is Thicket of Spears and yes u got it right

3) is Stand Together and you are right to ;)

and 4) Shadow cards are delt BEFORE declaring any defenders and yes if you kill the enemy before the shadow card "open" it gets descarded

P.S. sry for my english, H.F.

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#8 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

That all makes sense. Still unbelievable in 3 games we couldn't beat a level 1 scenario.

FFG difficulty ratings are completely meaningless. Mirkwood is not a "1" for example. Just ignore them.. they must randomly pick them or somthign.. cause they are completely wrong almost every time.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#9 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Thanks guys. I thought we were those cards right. Well, back to the drawing board. As far as solo I was playing each deck builtin core set 1 at a time to get used to the cards and see where weaknesses and strong points were. Then I'm gonna break them up and construct a deck and see what happens. My buddy did like the game such he bought his own core set too so he will be able to construct a deck too. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm getting Gollum as soon as it reprints.

#10 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

and 4) Shadow cards are delt BEFORE declaring any defenders and yes if you kill the enemy before the shadow card "open" it gets descarded

Really? I need to re-read the rules!

#11 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

shadow cards resolve as part of the attack, there is even an action window after they are revealed but before the attacks occur. At any time if the attacker is destroyed before the attach the shadow card is discarded.

#12 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

At the beginning of the combat phase, the players deal 

1 shadow card to each engaged enemy. Deal the top 
card of the encounter deck, face down, to each engaged 
enemy. When dealing cards to a single player’s 
enemies, always deal to the enemy with the highest 
engagement cost first. Cards should first be dealt to the 
enemies attacking the first player, and then proceed 
around the board until all enemies have 1 card.
If the encounter deck runs out of cards, any enemies 
that have not been dealt shadow cards are not dealt 
shadow cards this round. An empty encounter deck 
only resets during the quest phase (see page 14).
When resolving enemy attacks, the players follow these 
4 steps, in order. Players may play event cards and take 
actions at the end of each step.
1. Choose an enemy. The first player chooses which 
attack (among the enemies to which he is engaged) to 
resolve first.
2. Declare defender. A character must exhaust to 
be declared as a defender. Only one character can 
be declared as a defender against each attacking 
enemy. A player also has the option to let an attack go 
undefended, and declare no defenders for that attack. 
Unless a card effect specifies otherwise, players can 
only declare defenders against enemies with whom 
they are engaged.
3. Resolve shadow effect. The active player flips that 
enemy’s shadow card faceup and resolves any shadow 
effect that card might have.
4. Determine combat damage. This is done by 
subtracting the defense strength (Ú) of the defending 
character from the attack strength (Û) of the attacking 
enemy. The remaining value is the amount of damage 
that must immediately be dealt to the defending 
character, possibly destroying that character (see 
“Hit Points and Damage,” page 20). If a character 
is destroyed by an attack, additional damage is not 
assigned to another character. If the Ú is equal to or 
higher than the Û, no damage is dealt.
If an attack is undefended, all damage from the 
attack must be assigned to a single hero controlled 
by the active player. Allies cannot take damage from 
undefended attacks. If a defending character leaves 
play or is removed from combat before damage is 
assigned, the attack is considered undefended. A 
character’s Ú does not absorb damage from undefended 
attacks or from card effects.

Here are the rules strait from book for you on shadow cards and actions and such for intital combat phase

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS