Resolving the Averland Electoral Crisis

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

If you really want to play "game of thrones" in the Empire, this Topperheimer Gambit is way to go! Really nicely laid plan ;)

The Wissenland & Averland province is not going to be roughly Middenland or Talabecland (but this depends very much which map do you use). It will be the biggest one! Check here: Lawhammer: Mighty Empires

Two things come to mind:

1. Is it TOO big to handle? Considering these are very wild areas and you also have to handle peoples dislikes to suddenly loosing their own province...
  2. Because Averland is very wealthy province, all the other powers will notice this. New province would be too powerful. Stirland, Reikland especially probably wont like this move, but other provinces may also think twice...

But - This just makes the plot very interesting.

Edited by jackdays, 20 February 2014 - 09:36 AM.

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#22 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, "messing it all up" was my intention.  Trying to imagine what external interest there might be more than just "supporting my relations" and the old Sudenland controversy etc. came into my head.  Sudenland ueber alles!

It's a Nuln-Toppenheimer plot (who cares what the po-faced peasants think)

That map you link to is clearly the work of some propagandist from Middenheim, courtesy of the Toppenheimers we have much more accurate maps to show how things sort..... in game rhetoric - I was looking at Sigmar's Heirs etc. maps they seem more similar in size, recall Middenland absorbed the old Drakwald Province - metagame, the Empire is hardly a master of meticulous cartography so the maps are really all somewhat fictious taken as "what the NPC's see", I remind players of that at times "who is to say how far it is really".

In the empire maps are only slightly more reliable than genealogies.

It is meant as an "over the top" plot, the sort of thing "I won't take no for an answer" self-absorbed Emmanuelle and bizarrely ambitious Toppenheimers - I see Etelka von Toppenheimer as "Bond Villain level ambition", with her adoptive heir then the typical sort of Bond Villain assistant......  It could well explode in their faces (e.g., work in the adventure in the Pfeildorf fan supplement).

Stirland and the Moot would be very concerned indeed.

#23 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Here it is, for comments.

https://www.dropbox....ral Crisis.docx

To be clear this is not "here's now to resolve the crisis" it's "here's a handbook for playing published or homebrew adventures during the crisis, including your ideas about resolving".

Edited by valvorik, 08 May 2014 - 03:13 PM.

• MJSigmar likes this

#24 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

I've updated it a bit, some typos and birth dates/ages adjusted for matching correctly.

I'm also updating a map of Averland adding the Mad Alfred Gazeteer locations such as Profeld and will add Heinzstadt (Clothilde's manor holding in 3rd edition - it places nicely for just under 1/2 day by coach where the Pfunzig road meets the Old Dwarf Road), and Ritterbach's castle.  Also probably Krieglitz castle as well.

#25 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Will be updating it further, reviewing the "Black Fire Pass" book, I see:

- at one time there was/is a von Hoss family in Averheim (as Ludwig von Hoss wrote a History of Averland with at least 19 volumes at some time and the quote on p.3 makes clear he is an Averlander)

- Dieter Ebersbacher, who had an illegitimate son in 2478, heads one of Averland's "least wealthy noble families", his son Kristoff Haamer a historian going into Black Fire Pass in 2521 with mercenaries under a Wissenlander's command and his body later being found (oh ho, Wissenlanders in the Pass come across something and don't want anyone knowing....what or who could it have been, Leopold Returns soon, - the Manchurian Candidate....]

Have to say I'm most unimpressed by the map of the pass in that book.  Warhammmer online had a better map (though the dwarf train station has to go).  What's with the "to the Empire" arrow pointing off in the top left corner when Grenzstadt is the "empire exit"

#26 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Updated, same link

Editing and minor corrections, fleshing out some NPC's etc.

Here is the map of Averland updated to add Profeld and Heideck 

Edited by valvorik, 08 May 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#27 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Updated again.

A big warning, as noted in a discussion on Strike to Stun site, the timeline does not work for 1st edition.

Also it's Pfofeld, not Profeld.  Haven't updated the map yet.

- Hmm, link broken.  Will likely be Thursday evening before I get time to fix that.

Link now fixed

Edited by valvorik, 08 May 2014 - 03:14 PM.

• Emirikol, k7e9 and MJSigmar like this

#28 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Updated thanks to observations from MJsigmar about Ludmilla needing to be daughter not grand-daughter, more ages put in for various NPC's with a bit of other stuff - see version notes at the end.

Same link as above.

• Emirikol likes this

#29 illathid

illathid

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

This Guide is pretty amazing! Well done!

• Emirikol likes this

#30 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

• Emirikol likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS