Photo

Is there and Advanced Sensors card alternative?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Flux Cobalt

Flux Cobalt

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

I am wondering what upgrade card could take the place of the Advanced Sensors card?  I don’t want to buy the shuttle just to get the card. Although the shuttle looks sweet.

#2 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Advanced Sensors is the only card that does what Advanced Sensors does, even remotely.

However, Fire-Control Systems occupies the same slot, and helps you with your action economy in a different way. It's also 1 point cheaper, so it's far easier to put into a pre-existing build.

That being said, Get The Shuttle.

Here are some awesome builds with it.

Omicron Group Pilot

+ Engine Upgrade (to help with its mobility issues)

+ Fire-Control Systems (Combo piece)

+ Gunner (Combo piece)

[32 points total]

With this combo in place, your attack step goes thusly:

1. Attack
  2. Acquire a Target Lock (from FCS)
  3. If Step 1 resulted in no damage, Attack with your Primary Weapon (from Gunner)
  4. Spend the Target Lock from Step 2 to re-roll even 1 die.
  5. Acquire a new Target Lock (from FCS).

Regardless of what you did in your attack step, your second attack will always be target-locked. Massive damage. This build comes from SableGryphon, who runs 3.

Omicron Group Pilot

+ Darth Vader

[24 points total]

Your attack phase goes thusly:

1. Attack
  2. Regardless of damage dealt, if you would survive taking 2 damage from Vader, activate Vader.
  3. Deal one undodgable Crit outside of combat

It's cheap, it's suicidal, but when you're throwing around the 3-4 native dice of the Shuttle, and gaining guaranteed damage on top of it, the numbers come up in your favor very quickly. Massive Damage, and tournament-worthy alongside a swarm.

Omicron Group Pilot

+ Heavy Laser Cannon

+ Mercenary Co-Pilot

+ Mercenary Co-Pilot

[32 points total]

Your attack phase goes thusly:

1. Attack with 4 dice, regardless of range.
  2. If at Range 2-3, convert all Crits into Hits.
  3. Manipulate your dice with your Action, if necessary.
  4. If at Range 3, convert 2 Hits into Crits, even if they have been previously converted.

Massive damage, particularly at Range 3. Your 0 Halt maneuver should be used often, to keep the doggies at Range 3. Run with a screening force to protect your flanks, or add an Engine Upgrade to skee-daddle yourself.

Omicron Group Pilot

+ Engine Upgrade (to help with its mobility issues)

+ Advanced Sensors (to further help with its mobility issues)

[28]

The original dog-fighter shuttle. This lets you perform a 180* turn with an action at the end over 2 turns (normally impossible for the Shuttle). As that action can theoretically be a Boost, you've got the ability to get behind your opponents as often as a ship with an actual Koiogran.

• SableGryphon and Garian Dagarkin like this

#3 onebit

onebit

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

There ways to get the same effect as advanced sensors, but it usually requires another ship to bestow an action on you.
  • Squad Leader can allow another ship to perform an action before it moves, like Advanced Sensors.
  • Soontir Fel can end up with a focus after a red maneuver.
  • Garvin, Dutch, Kyle and some others can pass focus/locks to other ships so they will have one after a red maneuver.

Edited by onebit, 02 February 2014 - 01:55 AM.

• jetsetter likes this
Everything you need to know about X-Wing Wave 4San Diego X-Wing

#4 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

• Squad Leader can allow another ship to perform an action before it moves, like Advanced Sensors.

How is that supposed to work? Squad leader works on ships with lower PS only.

• jetsetter likes this

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#5 onebit

onebit

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Yes, I didn't think that entirely through. But on further consideration, it can still be used to barrel roll to avoid asteroids. However, you have to use it a full turn ahead. Normally a ship could use its own action to do that, so squad leader is only useful if the ship had lost its action and didn't have stress, e.g. bumped.

I suppose in the late timing of squad leader could be considered beneficial. I had an opponent use squad leader to barrel roll a B-wing outside of my arc after it had already moved. It allowed him to observe my movement before committing to the barrel roll. This has nothing to do with advanced sensors, its just an interesting use of squad leader.

Edited by onebit, 02 February 2014 - 11:42 AM.

Everything you need to know about X-Wing Wave 4San Diego X-Wing

#6 Krynn007

Krynn007

Shinigami

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Tag for later

Rebels

4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,

Imperials

6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 2 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 1 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#7 Breaking The Law

Breaking The Law

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Since this game has a basically non existent tournament scene, me and my friends just write out a list on paper and play based off that. If we have the cards we use them, but the rules for advanced sensors are really easy to remember, and 'all of my Bwings have them' is simple to remember also. Buying 3 shuttles is a lot of money I could spend on food, or ships I will actually fly.

#8 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

I don't know where you live, but this has a pretty big tournament scene here in Seattle. If you live in rural Wisconsin, that is not the best place to see the most competitive X-Wing scene. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS