• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Yeah,
A quick review / round up of how I carry my growing Xwing collection around with me.
It might help some people decide if it's for them or not.

I already use Battle foam for my 40K armies, so it made sense to get their trays for my existing bags. Their bags look pretty Cool!
578487-.JPG

The 432 will hold 7inchs of foam.
But I only use 5.5 inches of foam
The final empty space I use to hold the game box and some token caddys.
The game box holds my asteroid tokens, movement templates and large ship bases and large base inserts.
The two token storage caddies are made by CraftMates. 3XL 7 comparment boxes normally used for bead collectors. perfect for tokens!
Spoiler

578488-.JPG

The first tray will hold the following (although I don't have this many ships... yet!) :
8x TIE Fighters
4x TIE Advanced
5x TIE Interceptors
2x Slave I
6x X-Wings (12! if you double load the slot)
4x Y-Wings (8 if you double load the slot)
6x A-Wings (12 if you double load the slot)
1x Millennium Falcon
578490-.JPG

The second tray will hold the following:
578489-.JPG
Damage Cards
Upgrade Cards
Pilot Cards
Ship Base Inserts
Ship Bases
Maneuver Dials
My asteroid wrecks
My lambdas, b-wings and hwk.

The third tray I use is pick and pluck, for my home made turrets.
578491-.JPG

++

Over all I'm very happy with the 432 battlefoam bag.
The preset/pre cut ship tray is actually pretty good...even if it has way too many A-wing/Ywing & Slots!
The second tray is pretty versatile. 

I think the preset trays are never going to match your collection perfectly so a little playing around is to be expected...
I'm gonna cut two of the Y-wing slots to make way for the b-wings.

They have a cool tray coming soon that holds a great selection of wave 1-3 ships. It's worth a look to compare with your own collection.
Spoiler
For me it has a few glaring issues.. 7 Ties slots (The big tie swarm has 8 ties)
And I'm Not sure who has four Tie advanceds or two HWKs?? but I know most people have two firesprays...
Although they seem to ignore the possiblity of double stacking A-wings! that tray can hold 8!
With the incoming imperial aces a lot of people will have more that 5 interceptors... (interceptor spam being the expected new hot stuff)

If I was designing it I would drop 2 A-wing slots, 2 Advanced slots and 1 of the Hwks.
And add in a second firespray and tie fighter interceptor and Tie Fighter...

Panic...

Edited by Panic, 01 February 2014 - 12:33 PM.

• The_Brown_Bomber and LeoHowler like this

#2 Jock

Jock

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

I thought with battlefoam as opposed to preset trays, you get a template and can design it totally yourself so can make it fit your collection exactly?,

#3 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

I thought with battlefoam as opposed to preset trays, you get a template and can design it totally yourself so can make it fit your collection exactly?,

They sell a vast variety of preset trays. They simply give you the option to also design your own as an extra option.

Their predesign tool works pretty well, but adds time to your order.

I have the 432 with a different set of trays and I love it.

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray-31s, 5 Lambdas

5 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 2 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 CR-90 Corvette

#4 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

• Members
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Nice review. I got a PACK 720 for Christmas, but am waiting on Aces, and possibly the Epic ships before I get some foam to fill it. I'm planning on ordering foam (foamfactory.com or something like that) and cutting foam myself with a heat tool. Way less expensive and at least as flexible as BattleFoam's custom tray generator, but it'll be more time consuming.

#5 Nilliom

Nilliom

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

I also got a p.a.c.k 720 with premade trays and 2 pluck ones and i just love it

Edited by Nilliom, 01 February 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#6 nurglez

nurglez

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hmm Panic that collection looks familiar. If you are who I think you are then we still need a game down darksphere at some point :D

ships owned

Empire : 3 Firesprays, 7 Tie fighters, 1 Tie advanced, 5 Tie interceptors, 3 Tie bombers, 2 Lambdas, 2 Defenders, 2 Phantoms

Rebel scum: 4 X wings, 3 A wings, 2 B wings, 3 Y wing, 1 E wing, 2 Z's, 2 Hwk, 1 Falcon, 1 Transport, 1 Tantive

#7 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

yeah,

Hmm Panic that collection looks familiar. If you are who I think you are then we still need a game down darksphere at some point :D

I'm heading down this Thursday!

Panic...

#8 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

I would love to get a 720 or a 432 with some custom trays but shipping is just insane and for no real reason , I've had larger and heavier things sent to me here in NZ for much less.
Luckily for me there is a local supplier with the Sword and Shield bags with pluck foam load outs.
They may not be as classy as the PACK bags but $5nz for shipping is so much better than $50+us

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#9 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

My sword bag with custom foam has FINALLY moved from "Awaiting Fulfillment" to "Awaiting Shipping".  When it arrives, I'd be happy to do a similar review post, if anyone's interested.  I DO have to say that 432 is a nice piece of kit.

Edited by Audio Weasel, 12 February 2014 - 12:29 AM.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#10 Sergovan

Sergovan

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:57 AM

I find Battlefoams prices to be very expensive. I'm looking into expanding my carrying capacity and this company caught my eye. You can get a full 7.5 deep case with 5 pluckfoam trays or more for a bit over $100 shipped!

http://www.portablew...e.com/products/

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: 11 of 11; 3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; 12 of 28

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS