• 5,022 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Here's the announce:  http://www.warhammeronline.com/

#2 Ambivalent Badger

Ambivalent Badger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Quite a shame, but not surprise. I remember being super hyped for the game for years before launch, preordering it, and playing it quite a lot for about a year. I remember it as a great game and an excellent animation of the Warhammer world that showed so much promise and deserved to do a lot better than it did. After what I heard, it went downwards as the popularity dropped, but I didn't see too much of that during my time.

What bothers me the most is that the publishers - EA, of whom I have little nice to say - is likely to think that the IP isn't worth much financially ( rabble rabble, evil corporations caring only about profit, rabble rabble) and won't let anyone develop new games in the Warhammer fantasy setting. That really saddens me, as I hate to see this setting I love not being used to its full potential.

Edited by Ambivalent Badger, 01 February 2014 - 03:51 PM.

I have developed a tool for developing character personalities through random table selection. Please check it out

I've also made a similar tool for plot creation and development, which you can find here.

#3 HopefulHammerer

HopefulHammerer

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

So this was just the offical shutdown after they had made the announcement a few months ago, right?

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Yes

#5 PiltharShokmeister

PiltharShokmeister

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

That's a shame...

#6 GmMichael

GmMichael

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

I played some of that at launch. Enjoyed it alot, actually. It had a lot of promise but never quite got fleshed out. Guild Wars 2 sort of took what Warhammer was reaching for and ran it home. :( 

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

I tried it out for a few levels, but I don't like pvp AT ALL..which is what that game degenerated into.  I dropped it thereafter.

What else is good?  Is there anything else that has a warhammer feel?   

I prefer a game with some story, so MMO's really aren't going to fit that bill, but I've been doing the CONAN game for a while.  

We'll see what the PATHFINDER game is like, but generic D&D shiite gets lame too.

#8 Preacherman

Preacherman

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

I loved every bit of it. The PQ's, the PvP, everything. I hated playing the bad guys mainly due to the Inevitable City and ridiculous "Evil Evil Evil" feel to it, which grew old fast, but even that was ok.

The huge problems were with the server lags (in Europe at least), the bugs, and mostly, the career balance problems (due in most part to Mythic using Adam Gershowitz, which then moved on to Rift once he got canned from Mythic, only to introduce the most imbalanced "career balance" patch to that game, which killed that MMO as well).

I feel really bad for the game, and what's worse is that I doubt that another one will be in the making any time soon (or ever). Maybe some single player experiences....but nothing on the scale of WAR.

#9 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

That's sad. Played it quite a lot when it was released and had much fun with it. I really liked the "large scale" battles that errupted in the realm vs. realm-areas of the game.

It had very much warhammer atmosphere and feel. I'm sad to see it canceled.

#10 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Also liked it a lot. Only played sporadicly for financial reasons. Loved the atmosphere, hated PvP - thus quested a lot. I was so sad to see it go, that I am currently bidding on March Of War for the X-Box, although it has mixed reviews at best, since it seems to be the only Warhammer Fantasy Video/PC-Game that runs on any of my systems...

:(  :(  :(

#11 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

What's the difference between mark of chaos and battle march.

I just picked up mark of chaos for $11 on amazon for PC.

jh

• socratim likes this

#12 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

seems battle march is the same plus some extras.

#13 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Wasn't Battle March an expansion/add on/sequel? I bought it for x-box on sale and it started out with a different story than Mark Of Chaos. By the way, never buy an RTS for a console. It was almost literally unplayable without a mouse.

Anyway, Warhammer Online. I was very into WO during development. I participated a LOT in the forums and got into the beta really early. I spent heaps of time discussing game design and warhammer lore, and was one of the leaders of the chaos roleplaying guild The Black Banner. I still have my huge collectors edition of the game on the shelf beside me as I type this.

The game never quite lived up to its promise though. It was fine in the start, but as time went on it started to be apparent that the developers did not know quite what they were doing. Things were still kind of beta-ish. The PvP was ok but the PvE instances were horrible. I later learned that there had been some very serious managerial problems throughout development which explained the lackluster end result.

After about a year I finally quit it, having seen most of what the game had to offer. It was also my farewell to MMOs. I realized that if a Warhammer MMO couldn't keep me, nothing probably could unless it was radically different from todays MMORPGs (read: EQ/WoW-clones).

The game had, however, revitalized  my interest in Warhammer and I gravitated back to WFRP which just had a new edition released... :D

Edited by Ralzar, 03 February 2014 - 03:24 PM.

• socratim and Ambivalent Badger like this

#14 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:08 AM

I played this game.  I emjoyed it for about 6 months, got to max level then got so bored.  The promise of PvP on the scale of Dark Age of Camelot, never happened. Certain classes were so overpowered it became bad enough that one Bright Wizard could wipe out a squad of 5 in seconds.  Not sure if they fixed those problems after i left.

I enjoyed the lore from the pve storylines and the events. But as I said once you hit max level (was it 60?) it went downhill fast.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe, 04 February 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#15 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

What's the difference between mark of chaos and battle march.

I just picked up mark of chaos for $11 on amazon for PC.

jh

Battlemarch is the expansion for Mark of Chaos. It's an ok strategy game; nothing spectacular but not bad either. The graphics are and gameplay will probably seem a bit dated by now. 

What I'm really excited about is Creative Assembly next Total War game set in the Warhammer Fantasy world: http://www.creative-...-warhammer-game

I can only hope that they don't release the game in such a horrible state as they did with Rome 2. 

N

• PiltharShokmeister likes this

#16 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

Quite a shame, but not surprise. I remember being super hyped for the game for years before launch, preordering it, and playing it quite a lot for about a year. I remember it as a great game and an excellent animation of the Warhammer world that showed so much promise and deserved to do a lot better than it did. After what I heard, it went downwards as the popularity dropped, but I didn't see too much of that during my time.

What bothers me the most is that the publishers - EA, of whom I have little nice to say - is likely to think that the IP isn't worth much financially ( rabble rabble, evil corporations caring only about profit, rabble rabble) and won't let anyone develop new games in the Warhammer fantasy setting. That really saddens me, as I hate to see this setting I love not being used to its full potential.

EA doesn't have the liscence for Warhammer Fantasy anymore, Creative Assembly does.

I thought this game was closed down ages ago, still sad. It was a decent MMO but a bit too by the numbers to survive.

#17 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

EA doesn't have the liscence for Warhammer Fantasy anymore, Creative Assembly does.

I thought this game was closed down ages ago, still sad. It was a decent MMO but a bit too by the numbers to survive.

There are Different licenses.

THQ had the license that Ceative Assembly has now, I think.

Warhammer Online was owed by Mythic Entertainment before EA bought them over, not sure how the rules of licensing work.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe, 06 February 2014 - 07:55 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS