The Expeditious Prosperity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cavgunner

Cavgunner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Tinkering around in the Rogue Trader ship generator, I thought it might be interesting to build a clipper ship based around the principles of speed and evasion. But especially speed.

The idea behind this ship is that while it *can* fight, it prefers to run or disengage from any encounter in which it does not have the clear advantage. It is faster than a Fury Interceptor in realspace, it is faster still in the Warp, and it is slippery as a fish even when it is somehow cornered.

The Expeditious Prosperity is obviously optimized for Trade endeavours where time matters. However it's not too shabby at Exploration either, or even a little bit of Cold Trading on the side.

They say that in the equation of speed vs. armor vs. firepower, you can only choose two. Well, this ship chose speed twice.

Expeditious Prosperity
ORION Class Star Clipper

SPEED 12
MANOEUVRABILITY +30
DETECTION +8

TURRET RATING 1
SHIELDS Single Void Shield
ARMOUR 12
HULL INTEGRITY 35

Skill Test Modifiers:
Navigation/Warp +10, Intimidate (Social) +10 w/Active Hymn-Casters, Manouvre/Stellar Phenomena +5

SPACE AVAILABLE: 40
POWER AVAILABLE: 47
SPACE Left Over: 0
POWER USED: 47
SHIP POINTS: 43

Crew Disposition: Fanatical
Crew Max 100%
Crew Quality Competent (30)
Morale Max 101% (Current) 100%

Achievement Bonuses: Trade +225, Exploration +150, Crime +50

Essential Components:
Mezoa Pattern Theta-7 Drive (Transport) (Thrusters Dmg'd or Engines Cripld Hits are always Severity: 10) [C:BEST], Markov 1 Warp Engine (T,R,F) [C:BEST], Warpsbane Hull, Commerce Bridge (T) , Vitae Pattern Life Sustainer [C:BEST], R-50 Auspex Multi-Band Auger Array , Voidsmans Quarters [C:BEST]

Supplemental Components:
Main Cargo Hold, Trophy Room, Observation Dome, Broad-Band Hymn-Casters (Enemy must make Diff. -10 Tech-Use Test for Vox/Comms) (External, 30VU), Hydraphuran Jamming System (-20 to Focused Augury Tests to scan this vessel, no Silent Running when in use), Defensive Countermeasures (1 Use; Lasts 1d5+1 ST; -20 BS to attack ship, -30 for Torpedoes),

Weapon Capacity: Keel, Dorsal

Weapons
Mars Pattern Macrocannons [Strength: 3, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 5, Range: 6] Location:DORSAL
Mars Pattern Macrocannons [Strength: 3, Damage:1d10+2, Crit Rating: 5, Range: 6] Location:KEEL

Edited by Cavgunner, 31 January 2014 - 10:15 PM.

• Roy Stone likes this

#2 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

Why a Best Quality Commerce Bridge? It's already at Power/Space 1/1, so you get no improvement from making it Best. Given that you have a Warpsbane Hull, I would also use a Miloslav Warp Engine instead of a Markov, and I also am suspicious of all the Best quality components, but that's just because I would force my players to make so many upkeep tests to keep those.

Other points, switch out the R-50 Auspex Multiband for a W-240 Passive Detection Array, so that this ship can try to ghost its way in, and then if it's discovered switch to full burn mode.

• Tenebrae likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#3 Cavgunner

Cavgunner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the comments. The bridge is common quality- perhaps you were looking at another component?

I see Best quality components as being very well made, and accordingly rare. Not unknown, however. And at only 43 ship points total, the vessel certainly isn't out of reach of most Rogue Traders.

As for the Milosav Warp Engine, I did consider it, but I wanted to prevent the crew from being eaten by warp-entities.

As for the sensors, that is a good suggestion and an easy swap.

Edited by Cavgunner, 01 February 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#4 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

See, that's the thing I don't get about people's dislike of the Miloslav. Say a journey takes 30 days. With a Markov, that's 6 tests. With a Miloslav, that's cut down to 15 days, and therefore 5 tests.

It's slightly worse if they're short hops, but for the most part it seems like an improvement. What am I missing?

• Erathia likes this

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#5 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

See, that's the thing I don't get about people's dislike of the Miloslav. Say a journey takes 30 days. With a Markov, that's 6 tests. With a Miloslav, that's cut down to 15 days, and therefore 5 tests.

It's slightly worse if they're short hops, but for the most part it seems like an improvement. What am I missing?

Nothing. 

Except peoples likes and dislikes.  You can't win then all.  Learned that a long time ago in the 5th semester, at the Curabitur Schola Progenium on Scintilla.

Edited by Nameless2all, 02 February 2014 - 01:21 AM.

• Tenebrae and Erathia like this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS