Censorship in the Forums

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

It is pretty stupid, I mean honestly you can tell what someone means by context about 99% of the time anyway so what's the point in trying to "filter" it? That and I agree with the statement that RT is not a game that tends to be G or even PG13 rated when you get a group of what passes for adults in modern culture playing it. Like any censorship you have to ask, who is this protecting and from what and for who's benefit? When you think it through the answer is almost always a fucktarded load of nonsensical crap. That being said it's not going to go away, because of what Fantasy Flight produces as a business they ultimately will jump through whatever hoops they have to in order to present a "kid friendly" enough image not to lose access to a potential part of the market.

I think it's also because they've got the one censorship filter for their whole smegging forums and that they have several game lines aimed at younger audiences.  Easier to just have the one blanket filter over all of their message boards rather than giving each board a filter tailored to that game's tone.  Probably cheaper, too.

#22 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:40 AM

Now this thread is a bit more interesting.......

Smeg just got serious!

#23 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:16 AM

Dark Heresy had a note during character generation that about the same level of sexism exists in the 41st Millennium as modern day. Theoretically women are equal, but in practice most major political and societal figures are male, which is not entirely unexpected given that every famous Imperial figure - apart from Saints - is male, and the whole Space Marine thing. Going through the Frozen Reaches for example, the Planetary Governor, Commander of the ground defenses, commander of the void defenses, principal Mechanicus representative, spiritual leader of Damaris, and named Astropath are all male, while the commander of local law enforcement, and Battlefleet representative are female. Rogue Traders though are split one and one.

Really it follows in the sense of what I think women are really up against in modern culture, which is not at all any kind of legal construct (which if anything now slants in favor toward women) but half a million years of evolutionary drives and semi-compulsive social behaviors. Here's the thing at the end of the day you have to choose to be an individual and to swim upstream it's not something that usually comes naturally or immediately to human beings even in the present let alone the grimdark future of 40k.

It being a more fifty fifty split as far as Rogue Traders goes makes sense, because you're talking about people who make their own value judgements and live nearly their entire lives outside of social acceptability. Nihilists essentially. Frankly it's a lesson that translates well to RL too, if you want to end up somewhere different than where they tell you to be you need to do something different than what they tell you that you have to do.

It isn't free though the cost of individuality is usually eternal solitude.

#24 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

I try my best to ignore this in my games, but when looking at the setting, it is a world where our God, his sons, and his angels (of death) are all male, and the most famous female organisation was originally called the "Brides of the Emperor", and they occasionally get turned into hats by other Space Marines. 

Reading Scars, there is an interesting quote from Malcador about the Primarchs: "I suggested he make them sisters instead; it would have been far more civilised. He thought I was joking. I wasn't."

I do my best to balance things out when I'm thinking about it. One thing I do like in the Horus Heresy novels is that the Imperial Navy seems to be fairly matriarchal in the Crusade era; the majority of the Legion and Fleet Flag Captains named to date are female.

Which makes sense; if you think about it. The 'best of the best' - those people on Terra picked out in teenage years as having the intelligence, drive and ambition to succeed - will be identified and fast-tracked into Imperial service. Of the males in this group, the likely fate of most of them is dying in the process of failing to become a space marine (what is it, something like 10-1? 100-1?).

Edited by Magnus Grendel, 03 February 2014 - 04:35 AM.

• Nameless2all and Erathia like this

#25 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

I do my best to balance things out when I'm thinking about it. One thing I do like in the Horus Heresy novels is that the Imperial Navy seems to be fairly matriarchal in the Crusade era; the majority of the Legion and Fleet Flag Captains named to date are female.

Which makes sense; if you think about it. The 'best of the best' - those people on Terra picked out in teenage years as having the intelligence, drive and ambition to succeed - will be identified and fast-tracked into Imperial service. Of the males in this group, the likely fate of most of them is dying in the process of failing to become a space marine (what is it, something like 10-1? 100-1?).

I did notice that most ship captains tended to be female. I assumed this was just because it was the only unfilled role they could occupy, but I actually quite like the explanation that because the best males are selected for Space Marine conversion (and mostly dying or becoming chapter serfs in the process), then the best females would outnumber them in the more human departments, like the Navy or the various Adepta.

• Nameless2all likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#26 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Exactly.

I mean, it's not a universal thing, but if (taking the early crusade as an example) the Legiones Astartes is creaming off the Terran military academies' top hundred thousand male students in each generation....and killing or crippling ninety percent of them...then even if the recruitment rate is male-biased the way it is today, it's not hard to see why you're going to have a significantly gender-biased graduating "top class". Which, fast forward on a hundred years or so, means it's perfectly correct that so many senior navy officers should be female.

#27 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Space Marine selection is done pre-puberty though, usually around the 7-9 year old range to begin with. They would probably mostly focus on willpower and probably a bit of physical fitness (for a child), but I don't know if they would have begun any serious formal education yet. They may have. I don't think there's much fluff that covers life growing up in the Imperium.

I think this might still have reflected poorly on male candidates, as there would be a very strong "If you're so great, why weren't you chosen for a Space Marine" vibe going on.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#28 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

I did notice that most ship captains tended to be female. I assumed this was just because it was the only unfilled role they could occupy, but I actually quite like the explanation that because the best males are selected for Space Marine conversion (and mostly dying or becoming chapter serfs in the process), then the best females would outnumber them in the more human departments, like the Navy or the various Adepta.

Actually I think that's supposed to be a 'nod' to the novel Starship Troopers (one of the early influences on the 40K game), which states that most pilots are female due to having a temperament better suited to the stresses.

Space Marine selection is done pre-puberty though, usually around the 7-9 year old range to begin with.

Originally that was true, but the fluff has been retconned; now Space Marines are usually depicted as being recruited in their late teens or older (for example, the 40K comic Damnation Crusade by Dan Abnett features a scene of Black Templars selecting potential recruits by watching some musclebound men in a gladiatorial arena).

-And my apologies for contributing to the derailment of this thread...

#29 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Yawn.....Sexism in the 41st millennium again  -_- zzzzzzzzzz

#30 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Only in the Rogue Trader forums can people demand things...fits with the game I suppose..

• Brother Orpheo likes this

My 40k Campaigns page

http://Dark-heresy.wikispaces.com

#31 Ale Golem

Ale Golem

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

I want to swear.  

I'm not a child.  I might be a a twenty one year old man boy who plays role-playing games but [Entitlement Filters Activated] it I want to swear.

Not a child? It seems fairly childish to come here and complain that grown ups won't let you swear. If you don't like it feel free to host your own public forum and remove any and all filters. I notice a 2 has been added to the end of your screen name, did the last one get banned due to a certain thread?

#32 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I want to swear.  

I'm not a child.  I might be a a twenty one year old man boy who plays role-playing games but [Entitlement Filters Activated] it I want to swear.

Not a child? It seems fairly childish to come here and complain that grown ups won't let you swear. If you don't like it feel free to host your own public forum and remove any and all filters. I notice a 2 has been added to the end of your screen name, did the last one get banned due to a certain thread?

Yeah, I mentioned what happened to his old account on the previous page.

#33 Jetpack

Jetpack

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

Would explain why he eats dead people....

Doritos, dude, doritos.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS